Locked Patella Syndrome

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mink

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has had a Medial Patella Ligament Fenestration performed on their mini’s hind legs to relieve the locking/ sticking problem.

My 3 year old mare has difficulty with both her hind legs. They don’t actually lock but she can’t bend her stifle or hocks normally and waddles to compensate for the constriction. It’s painful to watch her walk.

We did physical therapy for a while hoping to strengthen and stretch her legs but then ended up going with the Fenestration. We are on a 4 month exercise program to work with the (hopefully) shortening ligament.

if any of you have experience with the procedure, recovery, and tips that might be helpful, I would love to hear anything you have to offer. The vet has said that if the Fenestration isn’t successful that the next step is to cut the ligament. Having read about both procedures I am aware that sometimes neither works.

Haven't had surgery on any of mine but I'm sending good vibes and hoping it works for your little girl.

Sally had that problem in one leg when she was pregnant. It went away after she foaled. Just mentioning it as a curiosity.

One of mine also has it, she is about 4 years old and the vet told me to keep an eye on it. I was told if it sticks for more than half an hour at a time then we should think about surgery. I was told by my local rescue she may outgrow it so now I'm clueless. It happened last winter and not much since, so I'm wondering if it happens more with colder temps...it doesn't snow here, but it does get in the 40's and some 29 to 32 degree days but not many. Would love to hear your thoughts as well.

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. Mine has the problem 24/7. I was told she would probably out grow it by the time she is full grown but so far it only seems to be getting worse. It’s maddening because we like to go trekking and I was planning to teach her to drive, but neither are a good idea at this point. Her wonky walk is affecting various muscles in her back etc.

Latest posts

Back