Locked knees

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
We just had our first foal born here at the farm two days ago. Her little front legs will not straighten out. She is strong...a real live wire...a real cutie. She gets where she wants to go and is not in pain. She looks like a little spider in motion. Took her to our local vet yesterday. He said xray show normal bone and that the knees are locked up due to too short of tendons. The vet said he had seen this before in the pastern area but never the knee. He has sent the xrays to Texas A & M. Today I talked to a vet who last year to saved our mare that needed a c-section. His office is 2 hours from me but still a lot closer than A & M. This vet told me he has seen this before and it could be something relatively easy to fix or may even not be repairable. He says the filly would need to be put under anesthesia for him to find out the exact cause in order to try to treat her. I was just wondering if anyone has had the same problem with a foal and what the outcome was.

I would imediatley try the antibiotic Tetracycline... please someone correct me if that is not the right one! It loosens the tendons if given soon enough, and you may avoid surgery and the tetracycline is cheap enough to give it a try. Needs to be done asap! I believe it is given IV.

Robin

I don't have any experience in this area but read about your baby early this morning and have been hoping for a swift and happy resolution to the issue. I know many others have read and are pulling for her, too.

I would imediatley try the antibiotic Tetracycline... please someone correct me if that is not the right one! It loosens the tendons if given soon enough, and you may avoid surgery and the tetracycline is cheap enough to give it a try. Needs to be done asap! I believe it is given IV.Robin
That's the correct one, Robin.

default_luck.gif
I hope you find a quick and painless solution for your filly!!!! Any pics?

Just a word of caution, tetracycline is kind of touchy to use in horses esp. IV so be sure to only use it under veterinary guidance.

I am kind of surprised that your vet has not seen or heard of this as this is not too uncommon in horses.

First the tetracycline is the first treatment. It relaxes the ligaments and hleps them to straighten. One treatment is not often enough, you may have to repeat it two or three times. The tetracycline only works for about 24 hours. Secondly, physical therapy is next most important and may get you further in the long run. Simply gently straighten the legs. NOthing rough , but put a bit of pressure on it to straighten. Each time you do it it should go further. Third thing to do is rasp off the heels. You might do this every couple days. And third limit the amount of time out of a stall for a while. Exercise is good to help straighten, but if the baby gets tired then it stands around with the leg bent and your progress goes backward. So limit to 1 hour stretches.

I have seen this in my moms big horse baby he started out over at the knee but then the legs straightened and the feet clubbed!!! trimming the heels is a very important thing.If the feet do start to club you may have to put acrylic toe extensions on to help stretch the tendons. After that there is the option to get the check ligaments cut to allow the deep digital flexor tendon a littel more give. correctivde measures should be taken imediately!!!

Thank you all for your concern. Both mom Choctaw and filly Sunshine are at the equine facility in Winnsboro, Tx. I took them over yesterday afternoon. The filly is four days old today. I really trust the vet. He performed an emergency c-section last year on another mare of mine and saved her life. Man, it was hard to go in there yesterday. Last year was my first foal which of course due to unscheduled c-section was an angel (colt). Now my second experience is this cute little filly with the leg problems. The vet put her out and tried to straighten out the legs. Did not work. He is conferring with one of the nation's best about her chances of repair. It is pretty grim. He told me yesterday not to get my hopes up. No news yet today. Could really use your prayers. Looks like I am about to be 0 for 2.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Latest posts

Back