loading into a conversion van

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockysticksfeatherfarm

Reaction score
I had to take Gemstone to vet yesterday (he had a goopy eye and thankfully the vet says it looks like allergies!) we of course haven't had time to train him to learn to load into our van. To get him home we lifted him in and out. I think with time we could get him to get in on his own, we came close yesterday but didn't have time to work with him long. He gets out on his own but he has to jump. I think I am jus going to have to make a ramp. I am worried when we take him to get him gelded he won't be able to jump out and might hurt himself doing so. Any suggestions on a way to make a ramp we can fit in the van? I should have taken some pics but we take one seat out and he fits perfectly. The hight of the van comes to just under his head and there are two steps but they are shallow. I am thinking what ever we make will need to fold and fit in the back. I need to make it soon since he will be getting gelded in a couple of weeks. Please post any pics or suggestions : )

Either back it up to an embankment so it is easy to step in, use the side door if it is lower than the rear entrance, or a few firm bales of shavings or firm hay bales work well as a transitioning step so it is not such a big drop off. You can scope out the vets office for an embankment to unload, or simply load the bales and take them with you. The dog ramps do not work well. The horses usually avoid them and choose to jump out instead, not to mention, they are rather steep, they may stay put for a 80pound dog with paws but do not do as well for a 200 pound animal with hooves.

Last edited by a moderator:
How big are your horses? Our horses all jump in and out easily (our smallest is around 35") but refuse to use a ramp.The only trouble we've had has been at dusk, when monsters hide in the dark under the vehicle, just waiting to snatch up little horses. In that situation, we've used a bank or a pile of sawdust.

Does your vet think jumping out would cause a problem? We always make sure they can jump onto soft, non-slippery footing, so it's not a hard landing. Ramps pose a problem if the ground is not perfectly flat, as they tend to rock and wobble. I would drive over to check out the vet's driveway and landscaping to make certain there's a safe place to offload. Could the vet make a farm call?

You're wise to err on the side of caution.

To get my guy in the back of my husband's honda element, I bought a trifold wheelchair ramp. As was stated before, I always have to make sure it's secure before he gets on it.

I bought mine online as it was a lot cheaper than in the stores.

I've made portable steps a little deeper then normal steps then I just pick them up and trow them in.

We load him in on the side he can't get in the back we have a big couch back there that doesn't come out. He is 28" right now he is almost 2. I like the idea or a bag of shavings but I would be afraid he would try to avoid it and jump over it. I don't think he would come out we live out almost a different town. He accommodates for horses at his office though. I don't mind bringing him, I want him to get used to going places.

He is going to have been sedated for gelding and he is going to be sore. I think you really need to make a ramp- even if it is a temporary one. I have one I use that is just a piece of ply with carpet firmly tacked on

If you choose not to have a ramp after he has been gelded, then be sure to have him jump out where there is grass or soft dirt to land on. You don't want him hitting concrete or asphalt and slipping. I don't have a ramp on my trailer and find that they slip on those surfaces when they jump off. By the time he gets home, he should be wide awake enough to jump onto a soft nonslick surface without much problem. You might want to ask the vet about that to feel assured.

Otherwise, he will be fine getting in and out by himself. I had one that would get into the back seat of my extended cab dakota. He had to jump over the seat that was leaned forward and pulled as far farward as possible to get in and out and he did that without any problem. He is 31" tall full grown and did that till he was 4 yrs old and I got a different truck and small trailer.

We bought a folding aluminum ramp from Tractor Supply, and then screwed plywood onto the front, and added stick-on stair tread (like sandpaper) material for grip. Works like a charm, and it has nylon straps that you can hook onto the edge of the van (I have a loop of metal where the doors latch) and snug up so the ramp can't slide off. It took a bit of training, but now all 3 of mine walk up and down the ramp pretty nicely. I have a cargo van, so I can fold the ramp in half, slide it on edge into the van, then tie it to a hook inside so it doesn't take up too much room.

Here's a link to a similar product, wider than mine: http://www.tractorsupply.com/heavy-duty-aluminum-atv-bi-fold-loading-ramp-pack-of-one-1091339 - but I think mine only cost $50 or so. The plywood was cheap, the safety treads a bit pricey, but still a pretty good deal overall. Mine folds in half lengthwise and is about 3 feet wide when unfolded. Weight about 30 pounds or so and is about 5 feet long.

Hope this helps!

Latest posts

Back