LLC, Bonded, Insured questions regarding.. information request

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthorsemom

Reaction score
I would like to know what you folks do to protect yourselves for your own private business...

Say someone wanted to start a dog walking service, or pet sitting service or obedience training service... what do you do?

Are you bonded, insured, do you form a LLC?

If so, how does one start this process... Do you use a lawyer, do you apply by internet?

What would you need liability wise for a small business to protect yourself. I am taking about a very small business with no employees at this time.

I see some folks advertising that they are a service that is bonded and insured and is a LLC but there is so much information out there it gets a bit confusing.

I have been training and walking dogs for many years for free. I have never taken money for my services because of liability reasons. Just curious as other folks such as groomers, dog walkers, pet sitters, trainers do to set up a small business.

I know this differs from state to state. I am in Pa

I don't even know how to ask the questions properly, so fill in the blanks and help me get some information please? cheers.

I had another call today of someone asking me for grooming and training assistance on a new dog. this got me thinking about liability and protection.

If you start a business that involves any risk, you need to form an entity to absorb that risk. There are other reasons such as taxes, etc. but I don't know enough to help you with those reasons. There are many paths to go. You can check in your area to see if there is a local business "incubator." We have them all over Vermont and they will walk you through the process and help you get your business set up. You can also go to one of the online places that does forms and have them do them for you. Zegal Zoom is the name of one of them Or you can see if there is a paralegal in your area that does forms or contact an attorney who offers a free consultation.

I would carry a million dollars in liability insurance. Not that hard to get for a business and you just never know what can happen. If you have people coming on to your property, you really need a good insurance agent to walk you through your needs and protect your personal assets too. Things happen, people sue all the time so you want to be protected.

When we had our flooring business first we had to have our business license done locally (applied at the court house) county/city/state/township. Then went to a lawyer who drew up the papers and filed them. (LLC License/bonding etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not sure what process my parents went through but when they started their Thoroughbred business they became an LLC and I was able to start a boarding/training business under that for my own ventures.

Latest posts

Back