Llama owners any advice for a newbie?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I raise alpacas but do not have a llama. He is a beautiful looking animal. You have gotten wonderful advise here. I did not realize that there were llama people on this site. They are wonderful gentle animals and I love my alpacas.

DSC01154-1.jpg

This is Thunder and Willson. Hubby and I purchased these guys from a local auction. We felt bad for them so we started the bidding and we ended up being the only ones who bid! LOL! They said they came from a petting zoo, but all we know is they were old! Sweet critters though! They have both passed but now we have a 4yr old named David. He's chocolate brown and is an awsome watch guard. I think Thunder and Willson were just happy to be here and just lived out their days being free critters. Now David is alert and highly active, not nearly as social to humans as the other 2. But I continue to work with him and clipped him this spring. Man, he was not happy about that but I borrowed a stantion(sp?) and him and I got through it! LOL! He makes the funniest noise when he thinks his pasture mates are in danger. Kinda like a Whoop Whoop Whoop noise. It's very cool to know that he'll let us know if somethings around. The other 2 just payed no attention to anything so I had never known that noise before. I'll go see if I can get a picture of Dave so you can see him. He's a goood guy!

Good luck with yours!

Here's David! Hopefully it will load! I have a new camera and I'm not sure about picture size yet!

IMG_0162.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for sharing your stories and advice I really appreciate it. So far my Thunder seems to be really settling in.When he gets his meal I hold his pan part of the time so I can pet him,he seems to tolerate me
default_wink.png
. I'm mostly working on trust right now. He laid down and ate part of his meal so I knelt beside and he let me gently touch his side,felt good that he was trusting enough to lay down. I had the halter and gently touched him with it as he ate,I have no idea if he has ever had one on. I really want to get the vet out to have him gelded asap but would like to get the halter on him first. Thanks for the advice keep it coming
default_aktion033.gif

Back