Liz's secret and my secret are the same...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyhorse23

Reaction score
Ya'll guessed it involved a little redhead.
default_whistling.gif

You were right.
default_yes.gif

TrailerSecret.jpg

Ya'll guessed it involved me.
default_unsure.png

You were right.
default_yes.gif

Raftered Hearts TNT (aka "Pyro") has come to Free Spirit Farm for summer camp!
default_aktion033.gif
default_488.gif
default_thumbup.gif
default_risa8.gif

Liz has been threatening to send him up to my house ever since his first show both to give his big brother, mom, and poor abused Gramma Pony a break and to give Kody someone to play with that's his own size and every bit as rough as he is. We didn't really have our pastures fenced for containing more than one mini so we reluctantly let it go all winter despite Kody's boredom and Pyro's need to get away from the milk bar post-weaning. We weren't really going to do it after that because hey, show season is coming and what do I know about halter horses or weanlings??
default_wacko.png
But when Kody's stifles started getting worse again from lack of daily strenuous exercise I gave up and called Liz and asked how she'd feel about loaning out a certain redhead for an extended play date and she didn't hesitate.
default_worshippy.gif

That was the evening of Friday the 7th. On the 8th we bought fencing materials and completely redesigned and rebuilt our turnout areas for the first time in 20 years (bless my dad!!) and a week later Liz delivered Pyro at Happ's after the ADT.
default_new_shocked.gif

PyroNKodybyRoundpen.jpg

BoysByTrailer.jpg

Kody and Pyro have had great fun playing at shows for the last year and continued to get along well for the first few hours of being stalled together at Happ's. Pyro would get up to his aggressive tricks and Kody would cheerfully give him as good as he got right back until Pyro finally figured it out and backed off a bit. Yay, Kody!
default_aktion033.gif
Unfortunately when we came back from dinner later in the evening either something had happened or Kody had had enough and we had to separate them as the Sr. Redhead had Pyro trapped in a corner and was doing an admirable impression of a cutting horse in keeping him there, ears pinned and all. :DOH! Poor Pyro! Kody was clearly jealous of me spending time in That Other Stall but didn't seem to hold Pyro personally accountable as long as they weren't forced to share a space.

By the next morning they were both fine and Pyro loaded right up for the trailer ride to Centralia for Kody's surgery. Liz REALLY puts good manners on her horses; Pyro's in the midst of a silly jumpy stage but when asked to go first into a trailer he's never seen he didn't even hesitate and literally jumped in. We quickly loaded Kody before Pyro could panic and headed down the road. Thank God for the wireless camera system I reinstalled for this trip- 15 minutes down the freeway I look in the monitor and Pyro has reared up and gotten his forelegs through the divider bars up to the shoulders!!
default_new_shocked.gif
He got himself free by the time I pulled over and raced back there but we were both a bit shaky after that.

After an interlude at the vet's and another two hours home I got Kody settled in his recovery stall to both his and Spyder's mutual satisfaction and went to get Pyro.

PyroTiedToTrailer.jpg

The Jr. Redhead had been screaming back and forth with Spyder (who wanted Kody and looked quite startled at the clearly Not-Kody replies he was getting) and whistled his arrival as he trotted across the yard. To my surprise Spyder looked interested but chose not to move from his injured buddy's side at the barn and instead waited for Pyro to come to him. Greetings all went well and uneventfully so after walking the fenceline we turned him loose. Yearling colt + too much time in a stall + long trailer ride = Yeehaw!!

PyroYeehaw.jpg

Pyro is not at all intimidated by Spyder and to my surprise the stern old gelding is acting quite paternal with him, rebuking him quickly but appropriately for transgressions but otherwise watching him indulgently and easily accepting his presence. Spy has never been one for babies so that's surprising to all of us and is fun to watch.

PyroNSpyder2.jpg

The three of them immediately settled into a pattern of standing together by the gate to Kody's recovery stall and companionably playing like things have always been this way. Pyro takes off now and then to bolt around the pasture but always comes back and is picking up Kody's habit of imitating whatever Spyder's stance is at any given moment so they're always facing the same way and resting the same hoof. It's so cute! I wish he and Kody could be turned out together as planned but for now he's keeping Kody busy and entertained through his convalescence so it's still a good thing he's here.

Pyro will be getting clicker trained and lots of one-on-one time to improve his basic skills while he is here so he will hopefully go back to Liz in as good a shape as he came and with a few more big-boy tricks to show off. (A few more nick-names too...Mom prefers to call him "Junior" and Dad immediately dubbed him "Hotshot" as a play on his fireworks-inspired name and because it rhymes with "Lil' Snot." I personally call him "Sparky" when he starts getting uppity!) Right now he's merely settling in and learning the routine while Kody gets over his surgery so in a few days both of them will start back into actual activity. I've got plenty of pictures so I'll post more on the Photo Forum in the next few days. Meanwhile I'll leave you with this bit of cuteness to make up for taking so long to reveal the secret:

PyroPeekaboo.jpg

Peekaboo!

Leia (and Spyder and Kody and Pyro, aka the Three Amigos)

It sounds like you two will be having (and are having!) a lot of fun together
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png
Way to go
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif
happy0064.gif

Sounds like a good thing for everyone. I hope Kody recovers soon and they all keep getting along famously!
default_yes.gif

Awwww that is the boy! Hope Kody enjoys have the brat there for a while! Either that or they will bite ALL the hair off one another and you will have two baldies to show this year! Have fun with him.

Awww...he looks great and like he really is having a good time. He may not feel quite as "princely" as he once did, but this is ok.
default_smile.png

Thank you for the pictures, and I know he will enjoy himself! Hope the others are entertained, too.

Liz

Well what a sweet bunch of red-heads you have there! Seems you have a penchant for chestnuts!!!
default_wub.png
They all look very content, and I am sure the group will keep you very, very busy!
default_smile.png

I totally loved this one~ That was so cool of Liz to lend Pyro to you. I can't wait to hear about the antics that will go on once Kody is well and they can really get down and play. Keep us updated on this. It's great.

Well what a sweet bunch of red-heads you have there! Seems you have a penchant for chestnuts!!!
default_wub.png
They all look very content, and I am sure the group will keep you very, very busy!
default_smile.png
Heh, I assure you the penchant for chestnuts was entirely accidental!
default_rolleyes.gif
I like a good copper chestnut with white like Spyder as long as you don't have to body-clip it. Otherwise give me a nice rich dark bay, pretty grulla, or a nice dramatic silver dapple.
default_yes.gif
At least these guys are three different shades of chestnut/sorrel! Spyder's a rich deep copper with darker mane and tail, Kody's a walnut color in his natural coat with lots of roaning and Pyro is an orange-red with flaxen.

I'd love to call them the Three Redheads but Spyder (bless him!) has never suffered from that redhead personality like the boys do. So instead we have the Old Man, the Senior Redhead, and the Junior Redhead. And yes, they'll keep me very busy!
default_biggrin.png

Leia

I had SUCH a hard time sitting on my hands!

They all look so happy and I look forward to hearing more about y'all's adventures together.

Kari

So Leia...does this mean you'll be showing an over gelding in halter?

Boy, howdy -- not even the winter woollies or the punk mohawk can hide what a gorgeous boy he is!

And now that your dad went to all of the effort of fencing in a new pasture, I wonder how (or if) you can ever send him home...

Pyro is such a nice boy! Good luck with him and have fun!

That's great! Now Kody has a buddy and Pyro has a great trainer to try to tire out. Will you be at any of the shows here in the Portland area? He is so cute in the pics. I think its great that the old guy is such the

Matriarch of the place and they all listen to and try to immitate him.

Don't let Mr. Spyder hear you call him the "Matriarch!"
default_new_shocked.gif
default_unsure.png
My lord, he'd kill me for the insult to his masculinity.
default_no.gif

My show plans for the year included Oregon Gold in Eugene, OR, Pacific Crown and Evergreen AMHR shows in Spanaway WA, and the Cavalcade of Ponies AMHR show in Monroe, WA. I don't know yet how many of those I'll make; it depends on how Kody heals. CDE's are also up in the air but I have two planned in Oregon in July if all goes well.

Leia

Latest posts

Back