Liz, Leia, Crabby Chickens and the rest...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ClickMini said:
I think it is one of a handful of shows I have ever been to that I heard basically no complaints!
Well, there were certainly a few on Sunday about how insanely fast they were racing through the classes. It was really hard for those who had multiple horses sharing carts in the championships!
default_new_shocked.gif
Otherwise it was a very good show and was certainly fun.

nootka said:
...so when I arrived, I had three horses to deal with (Pyro was stalled and looked great thanks to Leia, but he was not measured, entered nor ready to go in the ring, yet, though he had until Sunday to get htat way!) and two little boys with too much energy and just me to deal with it all.
I felt SO BAD about the whole situation but I couldn't do a thing without his paperwork! They wouldn't measure him without it and I couldn't enter him without the measurement.
default_sad.png
I do apologize for the fact you ended up doing all his final prep work as that was never my intention- next time come smack me upside the head when you decide to start doing it early! Gah, I'm so awful about those last minute details. You constantly amaze me though...I can't believe you got his head clipped, shaved, mane done, bathed, all that stuff without anyone to even hold him ('cause we all know how effective I was at that when I tried!) and yet were still smiling and plugging along with never a nasty word to anyone (even me, who rather deserved it for effectively dumping the horse on you when you already had your hands full.)
default_worshippy.gif

Even Pyro I messed him all up even though he is just as beautiful as ever (he is officially 35" tall). He was outclassed by horses with better handlers and a little more polish on them (my clippers broke before the show, leaving major tracks on everyone). Pyro really has potential and one gracious judge even told me so.
Hey, if there's blame for any clipping problems it belongs to me! I'm the one who didn't make sure he'd been clipped at least once before the show clip (it was just too cold), didn't clip him with a 15, and had no clue how to do his facial sculpting. I don't expect the next show will be much better since I certainly don't count as a "better handler!"
default_wink.png
He and I speak the same language now but halter is the one thing I've never had a knack for no matter how hard I try. I don't know what I'm doing and the horses know it. It'll be fun, to say the least! Watch for the perfect little showmanship horse in the middle of the halter class.
default_rolleyes.gif

You would not believe how fit and great Kody looks, and how feeling so good gives him more energy to be a little wildman...nor would you believe how sweet and fun Pyro has become. I will let Leia divulge his Over Liberty escapades because the glory is all hers!
She really has given him a new zest for interaction and he's so eager to learn. I felt bad that I could not get his best from him.
I'm amazed anyone could see Kody's new zest given that the poor guy spent most of his time bored and snoozing in the stall or quietly eating grass while he waited for the few classes we hadn't missed. He was so good though! I know his tummy was bothering him but he never gave me anything less than his best and was totally ON as long as I asked him to be. Falcon, Judy's Wapatee and at least one other stallion once again decided Kody looked like a very attractive mare so we spent a lot of time hiding. :DOH! What IS it about him that sets them off?!
default_wacko.png
I know he's not a manly man but geesh.

I'm also amazed to hear Liz calling Pyro "sweet" given that the first thing he did was bite her and I'm sure his manners have slipped since he's come to live with us. I try, but I apparently don't have that no-nonsense air that proper foal-raisers like Liz have perfected. I can get them to do all sorts of fancy things like lead without a halter but lord help me when it comes to basics like not biting and striking. *sigh*

The show went downhill fast for us on Sunday with Pyro escaping from his stall every two minutes, Kody objecting violently to his new harness in obstacle, missing the clipper guy, not having the right clothes, forgetting to pay the photographer, and then a disaster while loading the trailer that meant we didn't get out of the showgrounds until almost 11PM. (I'm blaming Pyro entirely for that. Mom was fully in favor of leaving him in a stall for Liz to come pick up in the morning!
default_new_shocked.gif
) Then I was violently ill on Monday night which caused me to pass out without setting my alarm so I was an hour late to work this morning, I'm waiting to hear I've finally been fired....argh. Yep, not my weekend!

nootka said:
It WAS fun, hope my "whining" didn't imply otherwise. It's just that I took on too much, and somewhat unexpectedly though I continued to try even though I shouldn't have.Not that the horses really care (Pyro's probably confused and "hate you now" mode with me, but he'll forget that. Someday.)
Hey, at least he'll behave for you! He likes me because he thinks I make a fun squeak toy. Step on me, I squeak. Bite me, I squeak. Sometimes loudly. What fun! I'm sorry for adding to your stress in any way, we really should have talked about what we each expected for the show and that's entirely my fault that I didn't clarify. For what it's worth I thought you handled everything amazingly. And Pyro doesn't hate you. He was just annoyed that the vending machine wasn't working....

Crabby-Chicken said:
Leia got some neat pics of Falcon absolutely posing for the camera and I hope she will share! He is such a ham.
I will! Just have to get organized.

Crabby-Chicken said:
When I went to look at photos of the jumping classes,, the photographer asked,, " Oh you mean the wild red horse?" HeeHee!
*snort!* Which one?? Just wait 'til Kody's ready to start jumping again! Then we'll have a real redhead rodeo. Falcon's son Pyro is also going to be a heck of a jumper in a couple of years. He leaps like a deer and has no fear at this point.

Flyin G Farm said:
Thanks again everyone...and if there were little tweaks you'd like to see to the schedule...PLEASE feel free to let me know...I'm very open to suggestions.
Tracy
Tracy, you were fantastic! Thanks to you and the gate crew my show went far smoother than it might have otherwise and I couldn't believe how helpful everyone was. Ya did good!

I would definitely tweak the class list a little though. Add an Amateur Western class so we can go for high points like everyone else and don't miss our stakes class because we missed one other class (open), move the obstacle classes earlier in the show and maybe split them up so we aren't having to hitch for Obstacle Driving, unhitch for Halter Obstacle, then hitch right back up for the driving classes. I think many shows put halter obstacle on the first day for just that reason. The Gambler's Choice was great, how about adding more fun driving classes like Reinsmanship, Precision Driving, etc.? The more challenge, the better! Kody and I were bored with only one driving class.

MountainMeadows said:
I look forward to seeing everyone again in a couple of weeks so we can do it all again!
default_yes.gif
Who's coming to Calvacade of Ponies in Monroe?
Stac
I am, Stac! I don't know how well we'll do, but we'll be there. Hopefully I've fixed Kody's harness problem so he doesn't freak out in Obstacle again and I'm going to try not to miss my best classes this time.
default_rolleyes.gif
At least it's close to home for once! I don't think I've had a competition closer than an hour's drive since I started showing minis and this one is practically in my backyard. I'm not even bothering to unpack the trailer between shows; it will save me no end of time and stress.

I'll post my full report with pictures as soon as I'm recovered.

Leia

I would definitely tweak the class list a little though. Add an Amateur Western class so we can go for high points like everyone else and don't miss our stakes class because we missed one other class (open), move the obstacle classes earlier in the show and maybe split them up so we aren't having to hitch for Obstacle Driving, unhitch for Halter Obstacle, then hitch right back up for the driving classes. I think many shows put halter obstacle on the first day for just that reason. The Gambler's Choice was great, how about adding more fun driving classes like Reinsmanship, Precision Driving, etc.? The more challenge, the better! Kody and I were bored with only one driving class.
Not a problem Leia...had I realized there was an amateur western country pleasure class originally (it wasn't on the class lists I had gotten from AMHR) I would have put it in. I think for next year I'm going to move the youth/amateur driving classes so they aren't all on Friday but rather later in the weekend...and I'm DEFINITELY going to make halter obstacle and driving obstacle on separate days. I mean it was nice it still ended early but those classes do take a really long time and I know by Sunday everyone wants to get out of there! Don't worry...I'll be working on more fun classes for next year also
default_aktion033.gif

I didn't realize it was Pyro who kept getting out...I kept hearing about the sorrel horse that was getting loose...but never thought it was him! Wish I had known you were having trouble getting out of there...we finished loading everything up and left probably around 7:30...I'd have been more than happy to help you out.

Anyway...I was glad you made it...can't wait to see your full report!

Tracy

Flyin G Farm said:
I didn't realize it was Pyro who kept getting out...I kept hearing about the sorrel horse that was getting loose...but never thought it was him! Wish I had known you were having trouble getting out of there...we finished loading everything up and left probably around 7:30...I'd have been more than happy to help you out.
Liz mentioned she'd caught him a couple of times but it sounded like she'd left the stall door panel unlatched so I left it as it was (latched this time, of course!) But if you kept hearing about it up there in the office than it must have happened more than I was aware of and apparently he shouldn't be allowed the privilege of a open stall front again. Silly horse! :DOH! Kody was a good boy and stayed behind his own hog panel quite happily watching the world go by and enjoying the breeze....

Don't worry about it, our problems didn't even start until 8PM and you were long gone by the time we could have used help. Stupid horse.

Leia

What a silly boy
default_smile.png
Well still...our house is about 15 minutes from the unit...I could have helped if you were having that much trouble!

Tracy

So what did Pyro do to cause you to be so delayed?

I am sorry, the little pill!

I kept putting him back into the stall, but every time it happened, I thought I'd "fixed" the reason it had happened.

I think he takes a little after his parents...both of them are evil geniuses, though CB is better at looking innocent than Pyro AND Falcon!

I'm sorry to hear you were ill, Leia, that is awful.

No worries, I didn't mind doing the things we'd discussed for Pyro, just mad that I'd forgotten to get him a stall and enter him (and yet I remembered to send in his papers. Jeez!)

Liz

Let's just say your horse does not like dividers and appears to resent being closed in. He d@mn near killed himself in a temper and could have taken Kody and half the trailer with him before I got him stopped. The brat! Of course he came out miraculously unscathed, not a scratch on him. Good thing too or he might have found himself temporarily homeless. *grumble* Kody was looking more and more angelic by the second.

Leia

Oh man, I knew I was sick for another reason.....dang it I miss all the fun!!!!

Sounds like you guys had fun...sorry Liz, I would have gladly helped you watch after your boys!!
default_sad.png

Leia, I just sent you an e-mail......I tried to send you a personal message, but its says it's not enabled or full? You are so darn popular!!!

Congrats on your wins Kim.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back