Liver Disease and Red Cell

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauree

Reaction score
I have a 10 year old mini mare who is about 33” /250lbs. She has been slowly recovering from hepatitis.Her weight loss of approx 35-40lbs is gradually being rectified with supplementing with beet pulp, wheat bran, and fresh hay available at all times. A gain of approx 20-25bs) We started out with many small meals (about every two hours) to 3-4 meals a day. She has been been on antibiotics for 50 days, and will continue another 10 days. She is on Omeprazole for her stomach and appetite. I have her on DAC digestive supplement and Premium Performance liver support (milk thistle) she also is on Equioxx for discomfort. Her last blood test (3-1-22) showed her liver enzymes still dropping but her Red Blood Count has continued to drop. She is at 2.7. Her appetite and energy levels which were improving are now being affected by the anemia My question is can I give her Red Cell with her liver disease. My vet said she can’t find any information on how it will effect her liver. Has anyone had any experience with this? I would appreciate any information you all have. Thanks.
Lauree

Was her test for anemia done after exercise? Horses store much of their red blood cells in their spleen, waiting for exercise to "pump" them out into action; so if there wasn't exercise before the test, it can show anemia where there actually isn't. It is very rare that a horse needs iron (the main ingredient in Red Cell) added to their diet, as there is plenty in forage and most all other ingredients in their diet.
Is she getting any kind of vitamin mineral supplementation to fill in the gaps left by all forages? She needs a vitamin mineral supplement or something to fill in the nutritional gaps left by all forages.

No exercise. We tried to add the DAC Orange (mineral/vitamin) to her diet but she went off her food. When I took it out, she went back on but she does look for mud to eat when a turn her out. The vet explained it as her liver isn’t functioning properly yet and that is the cause of the anemia. I’m hoping the liver functions return gradually as the liver renews itself. She was a very sick little girl and we didn’t think she was going to make it. She’s come a long way but here is another bump in the road.

Back