Live Streaming Cams

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
I'm curious about the streaming cams and am probably going to need this soon. Who do you use and what are the pros and cons?
default_unsure.png
I appreciate your input. Thank you!!

Debbie --

I have Swann Nighthawk wireless cameras (four of them). They will work on the internet services, like Marestar. I use them to put up on the TV but will most likely have them on Marestare next year, too. They are very affordalbe. I think you can find a kit with 4 cameras and the receiver is about $200 or so, and they make them with as few as one camera (you can add cameras later f you need to). Four is the most this system will hold
default_yes.gif

Last year, I dreaded trying to set it up thinking it would be really tricky. It was SO easy! The only "hard" part was finding the best place in the stalls to place the camera. H was up in the barn, I was in the house watching the TV (to see how the view in the stall was working out) and just worked it that way (but we do not "get along" well when we do these sorts of projects together -- that was what made it hard LOL)
default_rolleyes.gif

It amazed me how great these cameras work at night (and they are fabulous in daylight). Our barn is pitch dark at night and we could see everything perfectly... even the mice :DOH!

Good luck,

Jill

This is what we've got: http://www.swannsecurity.com/s/products/view/?product=356
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Debbie are you asking about the equiptment or a streaming cam service??

Thank you for the posts and PMs. Joanne, I'm talking about both really as I need the equipment and the streaming service. I do have cams in my barn right now but I don't think they would work. Am I making any sense?
default_wacko.png

I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE marestare! not only is it great to watch your mares from wherever (I watch mine at work since I work graveyard!) but there is such a huge community of people who watch with you and will call... it's WONDERFUL
default_smile.png

As far as cameras, you have a ton of choices. I LOVE my camera from here: http://www.foalingcamera.com/

But this year I wanted a second camera. That way when I was sleeping, I could leave the one online and have one still on my TV in my bedroom so I could wake and check it frequently. I bought a $40 one at RadioShack, brand starts with L... Lorax? I don't know but starts with an L and I"m pretty sure there is an X in it. I planned to use the cheap one in the bedroom, but the cable wasn't long enough. It was long enough to go to the other end of our house (which is closer to the barn) so I put my computer there and used that for marestare. Worked just fine!

One big thing, the wireless ones are NOT worth it. I've watched MANY a cam on marestare that is wireless, and they get wavy lines sometimes, lack of signal other times... they're very picky and just NOT worth it. I will never buy wireless after watching the wireless cams people have on marestare!

Jessi

Debbie we were able to use our existing b+w cameras and monitors and our computer. We had to buy one piece of equiptment to make it online for everyone to see and that was less than $100.00. I know WeFoal sells them and perhaps Marestare does as well. I would not buy anything new until you decide what company to use and what they require.

We chose WeFoal.com after talking to many people that used both and feeling, frankly, that we would be lost with all the people on MareStare. We do like the individual servce that Michele and Tom have provided to us.

We also learned a great deal about the problems associated with "going public" by talking with those that have done it for a while.

It has been an interesting experience being public. I do enjoy sharing, but occaisionally someone calls in the middle of the night when the mare is just sleeping. I do realize everyone just wants to help. We want a heathy newborn too and do appreciate everyones concern.

You are able to make decisions as to if you want them to be able to hear you (we did not want this) or tape it for their personal use (we did not want this either).

I hope this is of help to you Debbie.

Hello, after researching both WeFoal and Marestare I decided to use Wefoal. They offer great one on one service. They even called me when my camera was down to see if there was anything they could do to help. They took the time to walk me through the process needed to set up veiwing my camera on my cell phone. I am terrible with anything electronic and they were very helpful and patient. I highly recomend WeFoal. Vicki

Well to start with you will need a video capture card for your computer a Belkin, or what ever works I could not put the blekin in mine so I have a Haumpauge, the camera should be at least 420 resolution or TV lines for the best picture output, there are good wireless and there are bad, I bought some less than 420 TV lines and are not happy with them, so my next order will be the better ones that I have in my older cams, I get mine from CCTV Imports they have a web site.

Another thing to concider is a wireless will have interferance form the microwave and or some wireless phones, but if your barn is far away from the house sometimes you have no couice.

As far as providers, I had Wefoal for a few years, they were not a personalble type company, Ric now not the owner was for the big farms and who could give him the most money, he let us little farms go by the wayside, Tom and Michele I can't say anything about as I dropped Wefoal a year after they took it over because I never got notified they were the new owners until 3 days before the bill was due. I did not think that was very professional.

I have Mare Stare now and am very Happy with Heather.

Also you do not have to pay for the whole year, if you only want the cams on during foaling sason that is ok with her, she will keep your information until the next years hookup.

And there are hundreds of people to watch, Marestare people don't care if it's wefoal they watch or Marestare and you wil get a call if anything is going on no matter who you go with.

Good Luck Let us know when you get hooked up so we can watch.

Jan

Deb - I absolutely love Marestare - Heather is the best!!!!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't change for all the tea in China!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back