Littlest Guy won't shed....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGahr

Reaction score
Last winter I acquired a tiny little fellow that just will not shed out. I like to brush and polish but I did clip Cisco a few weeks ago because he looked so uncomfortable. Now that is growing out and he has these ugly little scruffy patches of brown hair in his lovely black coat that just won't come out.

Any suggestions? If I clip again will it just make it worse?

Thanks for reading my topic.

Is this a little dog? What are you feeding him? Has he been wormed recently? What is his general health? If you clipped a double coated dog, you are going to have to take care of the coat as it grows at it's natural pace. Undercoat grows and is replaced quicker than top coat, so that is why you are seeing a lighter colored, thicker coat growing in. If the dog has a known or unknown health problem, such as hypothyroidism or diabetes, the coat may never grow in normally. Washing the dog in luke warm water with a quality shampoo, blowing the coat out and combing monthly will help keep the coat in the best shape possible, as will a healthy diet and regular deworming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this a little dog? What are you feeding him?
Sorry, guess I was not very clear. Cisco is a 28/29 inch miniature horse. He gets free range pasture and about 1 1/3 cups of ten per cent sweet feed, 1/4 BOSS, and 1/2 cup rolled oats. He is plenty pudgy and gets lots of regular brushing and currying. He loves to be groomed so everyone wants to brush Cisco. He will stand and let you do it with no halter or lead line. He is a people pony.

I worked on the brown patches again tonight with some off-set blades but I hate to keep clipping--would like him in good coat for the county fair the first week of August. I just can't get the "shine" on him I like to see.

Thanks for asking.

Did he come from a warmer climate than yours?

I bought a stallion in November and moved him a 1000 miles north. I clipped him a couple months ago, but he wasn't used to clippers, so it wasn't a great job and he still has some long hair hanging on. He's on very good feed, so I just take it as a sign he's not quite physically adjusted to the new climate, but hope he is by next summer.

Did he come from a warmer climate than yours?

I bought a stallion in November and moved him a 1000 miles north. I clipped him a couple months ago, but he wasn't used to clippers, so it wasn't a great job and he still has some long hair hanging on. He's on very good feed, so I just take it as a sign he's not quite physically adjusted to the new climate, but hope he is by next summer.
No, he is only from about a hour south of me. The only difference I think is that I have him in a run-in

area and not stalled. He was on beet pulp and Tiz Whiz or something similiar. Since I have so much space for them to run and graze I back off on high protein feed. All my boys are a little on the pudgy size with lots of energy.

I am not a fan of clipping so I use a rubber curry and lots of elbow grease with a stiff brush and a finishing brush....he loves it but he still looks so rough. I got two geldings at the same time and the silver bay is

bright and shiny but the littlest guy just won't drop his hair. It seems very dense and tight. Am going to start vaccuuming him today and see where that gets me. Thanks for your time.

Sometimes it just takes a good clipping to get that first winter coat off and then they never have an issue again.

Hi Linda,

As the breeder and former owner of "Cisco", who is all of 28" tall--I can tell you he never has shed out easy (neither did his dam). I always had to clip him in the spring when it finally warmed up, although this year I'm beginning to wonder about the weather. Does he still get black oil sunflower seeds? He always stayed shiney with that. He would get about 1/4 c twice a day of the BOSS. Just re-read your post and see that he does get the BOSS still.
default_biggrin.png
Let me know how he's doing for you.

--RachelJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Linda,

As the breeder and former owner of "Cisco", who is all of 28" tall--I can tell you he never has shed out easy (neither did his dam). I always had to clip him in the spring when it finally warmed up, although this year I'm beginning to wonder about the weather. Does he still get black oil sunflower seeds? He always stayed shiney with that. He would get about 1/4 c twice a day of the BOSS. Just re-read your post and see that he does get the BOSS still.
default_biggrin.png
Let me know how he's doing for you.

--RachelJ
Our little Cisco is perfect in every way except his coat. It does make me feel better to know that it might not be all my fault. I did not start vaccuuming tonite because of the rain. I can live with his coat but he looks soooooooo neglected. I will just keep brushing and hoping. Thanks for responding.

Latest posts

Back