Little Update On My Cat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzmoe

Reaction score
A little while back I had asked if anyone had any experience with cysts and what not. We found that it wasn't a cyst but rather her lymph nodes were swollen. Come to find out every one of her lymph nodes was swollen. She got tested and was found to be feline leukemia positive. Since she was still spunky and full of life we decided to just turn her into an indoor only kitty. About a month after she got really sick. Had trouble breathing and we took her to the vet. She had developed a massive tissue infection in her jaw that caused swelling, and it ended up spreading to her lungs. Just when we thought we were out of the woods on that she spiked another fever and I was lucky and found out why. On the same note I feel bad I never knew what was wrong. Her tail had a big wound on it but the fur had made a scab over it and it was impossible to see. She is a cat that doesn't like her tail being messed with so I never messed with it. I just happen to brush her tail with the side of my hand when I was pulling the blanket up on me more. After I found that I cleaned it the best I could and took her to the vet the next day. Due to all the money I had been putting into her the past few weeks before that, he cut me some slack thankfully. He cleaned it for me no charge and gave me a tube of antibiotic ointment for it. I am happy to say that she is doing well and her tail is almost healed. She has turned into an even more bright and alert cat. She is thriving well at the moment and has put on considerable amount of weight. Shes no longer looking more like a kitten and is maturing into her adult look more. She is mean as can be too. Though it is only in play. She acts like she is a panther. Always on the look out for something to attack, even if its me. She plays hard and has a ball every night. During the day she is in a large dog crate, but at night and early morning she is loose. Anyways here are some pics of her.

Here she is in her crate. While she was still sick.

49b83875.jpg

Here is her tail wound a couple of days after being found. You can see how miserable she was.

0806090923.jpg

After her tail healed up some and she started to put on weight.

e840d24e.jpg

Here is her tail about a week ago. Right now it is mostly healed over. There are a couple of very small wounds still that are healing but for the most part it is pretty much 100% healed.

cid__0819091232.jpg

default_biggrin.png
She's beautiful! I'm so sorry she's gone through so much. She is so blessed to have you as owners and I know she's a blessing. Hopefully, she will continue to feel better and heal completely.

I rescued a little kitty a few weeks ago that had been left in a box at Salvation Army with some bread in there with him. He was covered in fleas and didn't have any teeth yet. I started out giving him milk with an eye dropper, then a tiny bottle. He has some teeth now and is eating starter kitty food. He's so special and so much fun. Everything deserves a chance at life. I couldn't turn my back on a little critter in need.

Omg,,, so glad the little thing is doing better. Can she pass her illness on to other kitties? I hope not! Hope she feels all better soon.

Yes she can pass on the leukemia, which is part of the reason of me making her a house cat. It is one of the reasons I have to keep her crated during the day. Have to keep her away from my Gizzy. Feline Leukemia is transferred through Blood, Saliva or other body fluids. I honestly almost gave up on her a few times along the way. I would ask her if she wanted me to give up or was she trying still. She would then purr and snuggle up against me. She never fought me on taking her meds or anything. Katrina even gave her, her meds sometimes. After all, Sassy is really her kitty and Katrina wants to help take care of her. Even though taking her to the vet and everything has made things extremely tight financially I do not regret it. Seeing her play and bound around the room has made it worth it. I didnt want Kat to go through another kitty loss. We had to have one cat put down a few weeks before and a few weeks before that our other cat got killed. Katrina has seen enough death with that for her to loose her kitty. The ones we lost were the barn cats but she still liked them.

I also have a luek positive kitty. She showed up at our house on move in day 5 years ago. Since she seemed to want to stay, we took her in to the vet and got her vaccinated, spayed, etc. . . and found out she was luek positive. Because she was so healthy we gave her a chance, as some of them can be just carriers. She did have one bout of illness (not wanting to eat, diarrhea, vomiting) where I thought we'd lose her soon after we took her in, so I thought she might end up being one of the sickly ones that don't make it, but she's never been sick again since then.

Reijel's Mom just a warning, the feline leukemia cats that are carries and have a rather long life span tend to develop teeth problems and infections later on. Here is a link to what I am talking about so you can read up on it. Website Link

We had an older cat put down this year, I figured she was just old, as her teeth werein bad shape and she was thin and not eating. Turns out she tested positive for Feline Lukiemia. I was so hard on myself after that because she was an indoor/outdoor and I had brought her in the house to care for her during her last days (thinking it was just her age) Our jerk of a vet demanded we bring in all our other cats and have them tested (and if positive put down) If she was a carrier her whole live obviously she was fine till her age got the best of her. I see no reason why they can't go on living if they are happy and healthy.

I no longer let anything go in and out. And I am pretty sure they all have the disease. Shortly after that they all got swollen lymp nodes, and all have gotten over it, the only 2 who didn't were the ones that have vaccinations against it. They are more then likely carriers. So if they are to be given to new homes I am trying to get them into single cat homes or with the ones they have been around.

We were lucky and did not loose everyone. I think I would have been devastated. But its something we have to deal with now. We will see how things go the next few years, there are a few that I do not think will live long lives. But what life they do have will be happy and pain free.

You are a wonderful person!
default_wub.png
She is lucky to have found you! She looks sooo sweet. Bless you!

I rescued a little black cat that looks just like yours. I gave her to my friend for her youngest girl at Christmas time (her name is Holly).

A few years back someone dropped off a siamese cat at Getitia's barn. Poor girl had no teeth and was so thin. A sweet little girl. The horse/small pet vet came out to the farm and I wanted her to check Sofie. It was weird that she didn't come when called so I went looking for her and found her in the hay. She was just laying there but meowed when I went to her. The vet found a sore on the underneath of her tail. It was probably caused from another cat biting her had gotten infected. I had no idea that we couldn't see sores on a cat like that! It's great that you told your story so more people know to check thier tails too! The vet said that the tail and hind end is the place that they get bitten most often and it's hard to see.

Latest posts

Back