Little step!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knottymare

Reaction score
I got a harness when I got Sparky (Thanks! Valerie) - it's really dry but it looks like all the pieces are there and once I get it conditioned, should work well enough for ground driving and other ground work. Anyway...

After I got done cleaning stalls and grooming, I decided to see if the saddle would fit Dolly and how she'd react to it. She's been doing really well ground driving with just her halter and long lines so she was ready to start learning the feeling for the rein pressure coming from farther back. She handled it VERY well. Did really good walk/trot/whoa transitions. We cruised around our little neighborhood and passed a few cars, watched the security gate open and close at the neighborhood entrance and then trotted out the pedestrian gate and out into the neighborhood at large. Her only moments where I felt like we were hitting a threshold and her energy would start coming up was when the my other horses were hollering for her - we could hear them about 4 blocks away. We just moved up into our trot, worked on our cadence, did some nice big circles and she settled down. Mind you, her "excited" persona is still pretty mellow. She's a really good girl.

I'm so proud of her. I know we both have a lot to learn but we are enjoying the journey. I was so excited I had to share.

Congratulations! That's fabulous and she sounds like she's a really great driving prospect.

Leia

Congratulations! That's fabulous and she sounds like she's a really great driving prospect.

Leia
Thanks, Leia. She's so level headed that she makes it really easy. She's the kind of horse that really thinks things through and doesn't have a meltdown when she gets confused. I am not aiming at showing - she's not registered - but who knows, maybe we'll look at CDEs. I need to get out and watch, learn, learn some more and learn some more... meanwhile, we are having so much fun. She is a joy to work with.

Sparky, who we are now calling Mimsy, is a very different horse. She's much quicker minded. Much more reactionary. Completely fun! But we have a ways to go before I'm even going to try ground driving her. She lunges well but we are still just going out for walks and getting over the scary stuff.

Sounds like you both are having fun and that's what it's all about afterall. As far as showing never say never. You can always show at the Clinic that was in Longview. Registration isn't required at that show. So who knows maybe next year you will be out there showing in the arena. In the mean time just keep working with and enjoying your furkids.

Sounds like she and you are both doing well. We'd love to see pix!!
default_smile.png
I look forward to hearing more of your adventures.

Angie

Thank you. SP-you are correct - the Longview schooling show was just my speed
default_laugh.png

And Angie, we are having fun. I'm glad you are willing to listen to my status posts!

Latest posts

Back