Little King's Black Velvet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maestoso

Reaction score
I am confused. I have seen pictures of Little Kings Black Velvet, and he looks as black as black can be. But I was just on a website that advertised a cremello son of Black Velvet. Cremello has to collect a copy of cream from both parents right? So that means Black Velvet must be carrying cream. I didn't know cream could "hide" on black. I know there are some black horses that look faded and they are the smokey blacks, but the pictures I've seen of Black Velvet are black black........

Matt,

I swear I'm not stalking your posts!
default_laugh.png

I saw the same thing and wondered the same thing. Or actually in my cynical mind I thought "better have the DNA done on that one."
default_wink.png

Black Velvet is a smokey black. Black is the only color creme can hide on.

Yep, although sometimes you might suspect smoky black by looking at it other times you cannot tell. Also, many blacks are fading black without having the cream gene at all. If he has sired a cremello then he is definitely a smoky black.

He has had 6 cremellos., plus other dilutes out of mares that were not dilutes. He is a smokey black.

Last edited by a moderator:
And in my opinion one of the most spectacular of Buckeroo's sons. Wade has produced a number of great babies out of him over the years. If I could pick one of Buckeroo's sons it would have to be Baccara or Velvet for my money.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cream can absolutely hide in Black without showing any characteristics at all. This is my Smokey Black Pinto stallion, Bears Snips Illustration (a.k.a. Bandit), who has thrown a number of Palominos from Sorrels and Buckskins from Bays.

fktmp680_047.jpg

His sire was also a Smokey Black and as Black as coal.

Yep, I recently emailed Wade and Jon to be absoutely sure myself. My Black Velvet son sired a perlino foal out of a smokey black mare this year. So I now know my Velvet son is a smokey black too. Surprise!!
default_biggrin.png

Not to be picky hairicane
default_laugh.png
but it's impossible for two smokey blacks to produce a perlino. A perlino is a double dilute with agouti, and in order to have agouti one of the parents must have agouti....so that means that for your foal to be perlino one parent would be buckskin, not smokey black. Your foal would have to be cremello or smokey cream.

Yep that certainly could be Minimor! I sold the mare in foal and so I was just describing the foal as the new owners did. But he was certainly a surprise as my Black Velvet son, also black, had not shown that he carried cream till now.

A friend got a smokey black colt (lab tested for cream and parent qualified to be a son of Black Velvet) by Black Velvet and out of a mare that obviously carries no cream. So ... yes, Black Velvet carries cream.

Hi All- Black Velvet does carry the cream gene as do many black Buckeroo sons. It defintely can be hidden- although it is really much easier to see when they are born. They tend to have lighter tan fluff in their ears- as Velvet did when he was a baby. If you look at our sales page right now there eare 5 black Buckeroo sons- listed (It is Black Friday you know -25% off Buckeroo sons). Anyway- you can see they are all smokey blacks, yet at least one of them you can hardly tell from the pictures because he was clipped. Don't let the pictures fool you- the only way you can know true color is either by lab testing or by breeding - when you get a color unepxected- then chances are the parents carry the unexpected!

Also- just from experience- never say never in the color breeding world with minis. Just when I think we have seen all the colors in the rainbow a new one pops up here! And yes- we have had 2 smoky blacks produce a perlino (chances are the smokey black is more like a gruella but doesn't show it)- so again- you only know what color they are when tested or bred.

Have fun and enjoy the holidays.

Robin-LKF

www.LittleKingFarm.com

[email protected]

Home of The Buckeroo!

I also have a smokey black who looks black as black!

Her mom is a tested smoky cream!!

Critique.jpg

Gage

Getting a perlino off of two smokey blacks is the same as getting a bay off of two blacks. Not possible; the agouti has to come from somewhere.

As already stated Black Velvet does carry cream below is my Black Velvet son when he was a weanling.

kevomain.jpg

What I call a washed out palomino.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back