Little black/brown beatles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontherisefarm

Reaction score
Does anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them???? We only used to see a few here or there in the barn but this year I am being over run with them. It is like being in a horror movie going to the barn in the evening.They are every where and quite frankly grossing me out..
default_smileypuke.gif
Can someone please help???? :arg!

I would love to know as well. We are also, over run with what sounds like the same bugs. They came out of no where. I've never seen them before either.

Kim

Sound like June bugs to me.
default_yes.gif
They are beatles that swarm alot during the summer. They love porch lights, by the way.

No these arent June bugs. They are in the barn and dont really go around the light. These have long bodies not fat like a June bug. They crawl more than fly although they can fly .They come out more in the evening on stall walls ,in saw dust.Just crawling every where and grossing me out. I have to constantly change water and check feeders before I feed. I worry about them making the horses sick... Can anyone please help????

Nope not June bugs......

I have never seen them before. They are all over the stalls.

This year the weather has encouraged beetles of ALL species to be extremely numerous. Here in southern California, we have seen a LOT more of those "shavings beetles" which I like to call them along with stink bugs too! Tons of beetles. It's a weird phenomenon.

They could be a type of black beetle called "Powderpost beetles" which like to eat wood, even your house or furniture!

They come in along with bags of shavings, so I'm not sure how to control them! I've opened many bags of pine shavings and found them in there, they came packed along from the mill.

Andrea

We have them to?

They crawl in our barn to
default_sad.png

(do they look like they have pinchers are their but?)

We had a whole swarm or them the other day on our porch. We also have them crawling on our food barrels.<if i were you i would start checking in your food barrels> We have our sealed shut><

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like the second beetle to the right on the bottom row. eeww creepy crawly things..LOL wish I could figure out a way to get rid of those little suckers....

Looks like that one to me too. My husband said the same thing Andrea said. He thought they had come in with this last batch of bagged sawdust we bought. Very interesting and yes, creepy.

Kim

Hmmm...... that looks similiar to a beetle I see here in stalls under the shavings sometimes. Never thought about them coming in the shavings bags! YUCK! I also will find them congregated in feed buckets, so I have to make sure I dump the buckets before putting in feed.
default_wacko.png

John, Paul, George & Ringo......beatles
default_new_rofl.gif

Sorry couldn't resist, hee hee.

The one in the chart looks fatter than what I call a manure/dung beetle, but description sounds like it. They are longer than wide, black shell & show up in the stalls to some degree every year. We've been dry down here, so haven't had any proliferation. I did have a couple of horrible beetles come out of some cedar shavings once - they had to have been 3" long at least and they did fly!! Just about gave me a heat attack.

Jan

We have those beetles also. But not very many and I dont use shavings... I wonder if the shavings just give them a place to hide. I was told that they are attracted to the horse dung and I use a product called DE or diatomatious (SP?) Earth. It works wonderfully, keeping the reproductions down and also destroying the adults with no side effects to the horses.

I use DE in the manure areas and all around the hay.

I sure hope y'all can get them under control. I cant stand the creepy bugs!

John, Paul, George & Ringo......beatles
Thought the same thing. LOL!

Yep, beetles here too! Don't leave an outside light on or it won't be pretty. But they also wind up in the pool and you better fish them out before they get on you because they BITE! There are little tiny round black and brown ones and some that are bigger.

Thankyou everyone for the information. It does look like it is the mealworm beatle. OK it says in the article that it is due to bad housekeeping practices but i see these things around poo and not in my feed and also hiding in bedding. So now I need a way to get rid of these little boogers.. Talk about a nightmare...It is like a horror movie come to life.... I would so totally prefer the other BEATLES..LOL

Looks like that one to me too. My husband said the same thing Andrea said. He thought they had come in with this last batch of bagged sawdust we bought. Very interesting and yes, creepy.

Kim

So that's where the suckers are coming from! I spend half my stall cleaning time stomping them! (well, not really half, but you know)

Charlotte

Try checking:

What's that bug?

Vertical Limit- your beetle sounds more like a water beetle. They are listed on that site, and their bite is often discussed. I'd hate to meet one of them in a swimming pool!

Try checking:

What's that bug?

Vertical Limit- your beetle sounds more like a water beetle. They are listed on that site, and their bite is often discussed. I'd hate to meet one of them in a swimming pool!
Well, they fly. And they don't seem to be able to swim. I do know that. And they always are attracted to lights that are on at night. I think I have a unique mixture.
default_new_2gunsfiring_v1.gif
Who knows. I can tell you this........just got out of the pool and fished at LEAST 100 of the darn things out of the water. Some are tiny.....some are the size of a dime and I did see those pinchers......look like back legs.

Yep....I looked at that site. I have a dozen different varietys! Lovely........

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back