Lipizzan Stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heidi

Reaction score
They were gorgeous!

The performances were beautifully done, with great classical music and an announcer who had a flair for telling the information and stories between performances.

When the horses first came out I began crying. I know, crying?! Yeah, horses get to me that way.

I saw the Lipizzan Stallions about 25 years ago in CA...but what do you appreciate or remember as a young teenager?

The Spanish Riding School and its' Lipizzans and riders have not been in America since 1990. This was their "thank you" tour to America, visiting only a few select cities, comemorating the 60th anniversary of General Patton's rescue of them during WWII.

Our seats were in the section next to the Royal Box, where someone mentioned below was seated with his wife and pointed out to the audience by the announcer. Mine and Kenny's eyes were about level with the horses' backs and we were 3 rows away from the arena rail near a corner/end. One horse pooped in front of us and we were so close I could smell it! Ha! Only I would get excited about Lipizzan horse poop smells! All horse smells are wonderful to me.

I did manage to take photos. They requested no photography, but my camera is quiet and my flash was off. Little noise and no lights to annoy or distract the riders or horses.

During the in-hand portion of the program, I was delighted to see the handlers reach under their long tailed coats to a treat-pocket and produce treats for the horses when they performed their tasks. Lots of patting and rubbing and the horses all looked happy to do their jobs. Ears up and minimal tail swishing.

Highlight for me?

During intermission, I met and shook hands with General George Patton's grandson, George Patton-Waters. He shook my hand when I said hello, signed my program and after I told him (while he was signing my program) that my grandfather was at Normandy with the Navy and my grandmother was also in the Navy (that was how they met) after they were married, she taught History for a college prep High School and she would be tickled to know I met him...he shook my hand a second time and said: "I'd have been honored to meet them, as I served in the Navy also."

Heidi

Quadrille ending the evenings' performance to a standing ovation:

SRSr.jpg

Oh, lucky you, Heidi!!! What a fabulous photo! I've been lucky enough to see them in Vienna twice, and several times here in Canada over the years. They really are the most fabulous horses in the world, IMO.

I didn't understand who you meant was in the Royal Box. Who was the celebrity? And where did you see this show?

Ohhhhhh my favorites!! My mom took me to see the "Flying Horses" in 1990 when they came to our town... it was magical!!

I dragged myself WAY out of the way in Europe to go to Vienna (From Rome, by car) Just to go see them... And we got to go in the barns and such as I had a friend in the back... They do Such a great job with their horses!! I Love the training methods and thoughts, (Ahem not sitting or working a horse hard until 5 etc! Another great place that is close is the Cadre Noir in France... Also spent a bit of time there, and it's just as neat-o!

Great photo! And if it were me -- as much as I loved the show when it came here -- meeting General Patton's grandson would have been a highlight too! That's a neat story to pass down to your grandkids.

MA

I saw those guys a couple of years ago. They were good. They were also hiring some new people and I almost applied. Not because I wanted the job but because I wanted to ride one of the horses. HAHAHAHA Oh well. Now I have my own that can do all of that cool stuff. WAHOO

outlaw

What a feast for the eyes! Lucky you to have seen the show and meet someone so special! Great picture. Thanks for sharing.

I always shed a tear at these types of shows. Can be extremely embarrassing but the tears are of sheer joy and love. Being in formal garb and make-up too.
wacko.gif

Horsey poop is never offensive! Strange how that works.
biggrin.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Husband and I are going to the show this Sunday afternoon! I can't wait; it should be incredible!! James would love to meet Gen. Patton's grandson; hope he is in attendance![/SIZE]

Thanks for sharing!

I took Lauren to see them a couple of months ago. I had taken Lisa, our older daughter, around fifteen years or longer, ago. I took lots and lots of pictures both times! It really is an excellent show.

lipizzansDSC_0549.jpg

lipDSC_0507.jpg

lipDSC_0522.jpg

lipDSC_0545.jpg

lipDSC_0555.jpg

Sunny said:
I didn't understand who you meant was in the Royal Box.  Who was the celebrity?  And where did you see this show?
514759[/snapback]

I didn't know what a Royal Box was either until the announcer pointed it out. I suppose, the "Royal Box" in Vienna is at the opposite end of the arena from where the horses enter to perform. All performances begin and end with the riders removing their hats in sync and all facing the same end of the arena. So, I assume that in any venue, the Royal Box will be the seats the riders acknowledge with their hats, thus... the center end arena seats opposite from where the horses/riders enter.

The 'celebrity' was George Patton-Waters, General Patton's grandson. We didn't know he would be there, but I think I recall recently reading on another horse bb that someone who saw the SRSofV performance in Missouri mentioned that he was there, so perhaps he is traveling with the tour? If so, I'm sure the announcer will make note of it.

I saw this performance 12/03/05 in Atlanta. Two tickets for just over $300 were a b-day gift from my mother who knows how gaa-gaa I am over horses. BEST b-day gift EVER!

Horse-snob coming up...apologies in advance if I offend...

I enjoyed the photos that Tony posted, and the experience Outlaw had of considering applying for riding with the horses...but I just have to say that what those experiences were, were NOT the SRSofV Lipizzaners and riders.

It is quite possible that the horses were Lipizzans. And even more probable that some/most were shipped from Europe to America, but most likely they have been bred/trained in America from imported horses. The riders are most likely American, but certainly not SRS unless they didn't make the 'cut' at the SRS. SRS does not 'hire' riders, riders begin at a very young age/rank and work years before finally advancing to rider status.

I'll have more information when the library gets in the book of SRS History I requested. I have been told that all stallions are branded on their backs (under the saddles) for identification and on their cheeks and flanks to denote sire/dam and studfarm. Someone also mentioned that any horse accepted into the SRS is never sold and I think they also only accept SRS horses from one studfarm, Piber(?). Don't know for sure, and i hope the book clarifies.

Anyway, I do know that the SRSofV has NOT been in America since 1990. Period. It states so emphatically in the program. I do not know about Canada or Canadian performances. I do know that there is at least one, probably more, Production companies (Flying Horse Productions?) based out of Florida who use Lipizzaners and lady riders. I have heard good and bad things about their performances. I would like to reiterate that the SRSofV2005 production that I recently saw in Atlanta was The Real Deal from Europe. Not a copycat American-based performance.

End of my horse-snobbery.

Once again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

Pas de Deux end of performance.

SRSf.jpg

In hand on long reins. This horse was the oldest performer at age 22.

SRSj.jpg

Quadrille.

SRSp.jpg

Heidi

We see them Sunday CANNOT wait! Was wondering if we could take pics Were you allowed to use the flash? That was a big ol no-no in Vienne I just cannot wait am SO excited LOL can ya tell? LOL

My tickets said no flash photography or video filming. However I saw MANY flashes from cameras all over the arena.

I was able to turn the flash off on my camera and I felt it still took great pictures. I had also covered my red blink-light on the front with a sticker to eliminate that distraction for the horse/rider. I practiced with the camera at home because I wasn't sure the red blink-light was a critical part of photo taking. It wasn't.

The photo of the long-line horse was taken without flash, just the spotlights, but it was right in front of us so my camera was able to pick up the subject and focus. I was afraid it wouldn't turn out, but my camera did good.

If I was not able to adjust my camera in the manner I outlined I would not have taken photos.

Heidi

ps...I'd also like to point out that unless you have a zoom feature on your camera, your photos will probably not turn out very well, having too small of a subject matter. Especially if your seats are far from the arena edge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes actually Heidi that was about the time I saw them and yes they were hiring. All were Lippizan Stallions except for one which was an Andalusian Stallion that did the jump in the air and kick out think. I went and looked at them in their stalls a couple of days before the show took place.

outlaw

Yes Outlaw, you saw Lipizzan stallions and the fact that you included the Andalusian stallion confirms for me that this was one of the American touring companies and absolutely NOT the Spanish Riding School of Vienna Lipizzans and riders.

I reiterate that the SRSofV has not been in America between the years 1990 and 2005. I'm sure what you saw was a fine performance, but it was not the Spanish Riding School of Vienna with hundreds of years of breeding, history and tradition behind it.

Heidi

I'm in total agreement with you, Heidi, and to the best of my knowledge, I think your facts are correct.

I've seen some brilliant performances of the American companies, but they still can't hold a candle to the "real thing" in Vienna, IMO.

They are 2 completely different things, the American touring company and the horses from the Vienne Spanish Riding School. Once you see the SRSV horses too compare , you will forever see the diff

I have seen the american tours several times and I thouroughly enjoyed them. But, they are just not the same.

I will be bringing 2 cameras, one loaded w/night film and the other my dig, both zoom and both allow the flash to be turned off. So I am hoping that I get some great pics
aktion033.gif

You should be able to get plenty. I only took about 18 pictures because I wanted to SEE everything myself, not continually look at it through my camera. Other than the long-line performance, the arena is VERY well lit and should be fine for your cameras.

However, I will BEG you to post your photos after you see them! Also, check out one of the horses in the Pas de Deux...Kenny and I think it was blind in a left eye and the photo I took to confirm didn't turn out very well...

See what you think, if you're close enough.

Heidi

Latest posts

Back