Linda Best Benefit Horse Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fancy

Reaction score
Hi All,

Here is a brief biography about Linda and information about the upcoming horse show we have planned. If you would like to contribute prizes please send email to [email protected].

Biography

Linda Best’s love of horses began with her interest in Appaloosas at the age of 13. At 19, she became a farrier. Through the years, she has both trained and shown horses in many disciplines. While at Rolling Ridge farm, Linda began working with miniature horses. Little did she know what an impact they would have on her life. While busy working as a full time farrier and raising a family, she brought home a scrawny little dark miniature horse colt she called Fred (Rolling Ridge Rum Runner). She thought Fred would be a cute little addition to her family. He rapidly became the family’s pride and joy. Fred would later go on to win four National Grand Champion titles in Country Pleasure Driving. In no time, Linda’s barn was filled with miniature horses including:

Rolling Ridge Rum Runner (Fred) – AMHR National Grand Champion Country Pleasure Driving 2000, 2003, 2004 & 2006; Halter and Performance Hall of Fame.

Rolling Ridge Ravishing Rebekah (Becky) – AMHR National Grand Champion Country Pleasure Driving 2001, 2003 & 2004; National Champion Youth Halter Mare; Halter and Performance Hall of Fame.

ERMF Special FX (Shadow) – AMHR National Champion Amateur; Roadster 2003 & 2004; Halter and Performance Hall of Fame.

Today, Linda lives on Blessing Farm in Stratham, NH with her husband Paul, also a farrier, and their younger children Kim (18), Matt (15) and Courtney (12). The children are home schooled by their parents. They are a great help with all aspects of their farm. They help with the chores, foaling, training, showing, selling and promoting their miniatures horses. This close knit family truly enjoys this way of life.

Linda and her family just recently received some devastating news. Linda has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She and her husband, like most farriers, are self-employed with no health insurance. Her job is physically demanding. Due to her failing health, she is in extreme pain, tires easily and can only work a few hours at a time. This has resulted in a financial hardship for her family.

Linda is a great wife, mother and dear friend to many. We want Linda to focus on her health so she can win this battle and not have to worry about financial burdens.

A miniature horse show will be held on Saturday, September 13th, 2008 starting at 9:00 AM at River Gait Farm in Haverhill, MA. River Gait includes a beautiful indoor arena easily accessible from all major highways and plenty of parking. There will be many classes offered such as halter, obstacle, hunter, jumper, liberty, driving and several "fun classes". A limited number of stalls are available for those that need them. This is an unrated show. All are welcome!

All gifts from the show will be given to Linda and her family for their health and welfare during this difficult time.

If you are interested in attending this show you can obtain a class list, entry form and directions at the links below.

http://maineseacoastminiatures.com/images/...lasslist_1_.doc

http://maineseacoastminiatures.com/images/...try_Form_1_.doc

http://www.rivergaitfarm.com/contact.html

We hope you can make it!

Makayla

P.S. We have to call everything "Gifts" for tax purposes
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What a fantastic job you are doing! I hope to meet you at the show.

But the first 2 links aren't working for me.

Targetsmom,

I believe I fixed the problem. Please try it again and let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks!

Makayla

Makayla, this is wonderful. I sent you an email, ask and it is yours.

Thanks - the links work now! It looks like a really fun class list, but could you please explain the barrel racing, pole bending and flag race classes? I have RIDDEN these classes, and in PtHA they are driving classes for minis, but I thought I better ask.

Here's the rules for Pole Bending:

Timed event. 6 poles will be set up an equal distance apart. Exhibitors must weave up the poles and weave back down the poles. Knocking down a pole is grouds for disqualification. If the exhibitor misses a pole they must go back and weave around it before going to the next pole. Missing any poles, or weaving them in the wrong order is grounds for disqualification. Fastest time wins.

I'm unsure for the other two you asked about. I just emailed Matt Drown asking him to post what they are. He created the class list.

Makayla

OMG you own Bozley!!!!! Can you hug him for me!? Gosh I'd love to see a pic of him when you have a moment! How cool!

It looks like my mom is posting now, but he is her horse. He is the best! He does everything we ask of him. He volunteers and loves it! He just started doing the NBARH shows and loves it! How do you know Bozley?

Makayla

How do you know Bozley? He is my very first mini. We bought him and his full sister Fancy from Anita of Maine Pride Miniatures. Fancy is Makayla's first mini. For the last 4 years we have been doing volunteer work with them helping children with Asperger's, Autism and even inner city children who have never been exposed to farm animals. Makayla brings the horses to Hilton-Winn Youth Enrichment Center every Wednesday volunteering her time. The children just love them. She also walks them 2 miles to the beach for nice long beach walks. Tourists constantly stop her and ask to have their pictures taken with them.

Bozley is awesome. He went in his first 2 shows this summer at NBARH. He did very well in Adult Trail and Halther A Geldings A 4-H group asked if they could borrow him for a couple classes. He went in with this adorable little red headed girl who had never handled him before and he was a perfect gentlemen. I am now ground driving him and hope to have him hooked by the fall.

I have pictures of him on our website maineseacoastminiatures.com.

I just love my Bozman. He and Fancy are "lifers" at our farm! What a small mini world we have!

Sue

Silly me, you can see Bozley in my Avatar.

SageNapala,

It just clicked. I saw an email you sent Makayla and recognized the name from Bozley's papers. You use to own Bozley and sold him to Anita along with his mom while she was in foal with Fancy. We bought Bozley & Fancy at the same time when she was 1 and he was 2. They have been volunteering since that young age and have proven to be wonderful horses.

Makayla told me about your prize donations for the Benefit Show. Thank you so much! It was very throughtful and generous of you to donate so many nice gifts.

Take care,

Sue

Debs knows Bozley because she was his original mom. Bozley and Techno his mom and Fancy came to live with us when Boz wasnt even weaned yet and Fancy was still in the oven. We were just beginning at the time and someone told us that Boz couldnt be a show horse and at the time we wanted to show so we sold them, after having Boz gelded, to the most wonderful home ever. We still have Boz's mom Techno and may forever. She is a wonderful brood mare and mom. I fell in love with her from just one pic. They are awsome horses all of them and I now have a yearling filly that is a 1/2 sister to the Boz who is just as laid back. OOPs I forgot Sage Napala not Debs was one of the first mini owners who helped us get started and we in turn feel we helped Sue and Makayla we have followed all of their successes and are so proud of what they do. They are just wonderful people Of course we were mis informed about Boz being a show horse as hes proving everyone wrong. lol He is a horse with so much heart as is his mom.

Nita, I answer to Debs or Sage, no worries and that boy was such a cute lil guy that face was SO kissable. I am glad they have such a loving home! Kiss that Techno for me!

Ill do that you would love to see her right now she has taken off quite a few pounds this spring on purpose as she was Hay fat from the winter and she has shed out so sleek she really looks good she has a pen where she can go in and out at will and she does love that as well. Anyway cant say enough about Bozley and Fancy's home it is just the best.

Nita

I am sorry to hear Linda's news. I met her this summer when I judged at the show in New Hampshire.

I wish her well & hope you have a VERY successful show. Amelia

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so everyone knows, Barrel Racing is run like the traditional gymkhana class, only you'll be leading your mini
default_smile.png

Pole Bending, is what Makayla described, it is actually more based on the traditional gymkhana "Texas Poles" but we use 6 poles instead of 5. Those who know about gymkhana will know what I mean. Basically it is pole bending without the run straight up and run straight back. It is just weave up then back.

For pairs flag there will be a start line. A distance down the ring there will be a barrel with a bucket on it with some sand in it. Stuck in the sand will be a flag. partner 1 runs down and gets the flag, runs back and hands it off to partner 2. Partner 2 then runs down and replaces it in the bucker, and then runs back. Does this make sense?

Also, one correction to the class list, the halter championship class will include the 1st and 2nd place winners from classes 5-9 not 4-9. And will be placed 1st through 6th place, instead of just a champ and reserve.

Just because I am curious.... who is planning on attending this show, either as an exhibitor or spectator??

Just so everyone knows, Barrel Racing is run like the traditional gymkhana class, only you'll be leading your mini
default_smile.png

Pole Bending, is what Makayla described, it is actually more based on the traditional gymkhana "Texas Poles" but we use 6 poles instead of 5. Those who know about gymkhana will know what I mean. Basically it is pole bending without the run straight up and run straight back. It is just weave up then back.

For pairs flag there will be a start line. A distance down the ring there will be a barrel with a bucket on it with some sand in it. Stuck in the sand will be a flag. partner 1 runs down and gets the flag, runs back and hands it off to partner 2. Partner 2 then runs down and replaces it in the bucker, and then runs back. Does this make sense?

Also, one correction to the class list, the halter championship class will include the 1st and 2nd place winners from classes 5-9 not 4-9. And will be placed 1st through 6th place, instead of just a champ and reserve.

Just because I am curious.... who is planning on attending this show, either as an exhibitor or spectator??

I'm going to try and make it, we'll see what happens.... might have a horse to take....

Great job everyone! The class list looks great!

I hope to be coming and bringing a mini (or two) to show in lots of classes. Maybe even an extra mini, if anyone needs one!

Mary

Hi,

We need to find a PA system for our benefit show. The problem is I have no idea what I am looking for or even where to look. Can someone give me advice on this? Does anyone know of any place in the Southern Maine, NH or Northern MA area that has them? Any idea on how much they cost to rent?

Thanks in advance!

Sue

Latest posts

Back