Lik-it Does anyone use one?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used one once. Horse ate it in about 4 hours. Was able to get it against the stall wall and just chewed through it. I didn't replace it.

I tried it once, but after the wasps found it I quickly threw it away, my minis didn't seem to like it that much to begin with.

[SIZE=12pt]Hi,[/SIZE]

I use one and have for a number of years. You have to make sure the horse can't trap it against a wall. It needs to be hung a little above wither height and it must be free swinging. Horses are not supposed to be able to eat it, just lick it. It will keep a bored horse occupied, helps with wood chewers and cribbers too.

Joy

Here's a video of Saber with his

Even if hung away from walls some horses can get the rythmn of the swing and catch it in their teeth and bite it.

Saber does so he only gets it every once in a while for about 20 mins of so otherwise it'd be totally gone.

I hae had one for a number of years and I move it around to different areas. If someone is very bored, the weather is bad or one of the mares is going after another... it keeps them busy. But they can go throu them very fast and they have a high sugar content. I have found hymayalan salt blocks that are round and have a hole int he middle and they fit perfectly in the holder, (I got mine from Stagecoach West in Irving NY).so I use them instead fro the little ones, but still use the regular likit soemtimes for big horses.

Two problems with these... one is the horses don't really like them, and the other is if they DO like them, they eat them really fast.

HOWEVER

I bought a couple of them, let the ones who like them eat them, and then I use the holders to put PONY-POP brand treats in them. They fit, and are a LOT harder and tastier than the Lik-It brand.

My horses MUCH prefer Pony Pops and usually last a week or more. The bonus about the holder is that it helps keep SOME (not all) of the molasses out of their hair and faces
default_smile.png

Andrea

I tried these, and my horses played with them, and once they figured out they had to keep chasing it to get a taste, they totally ignored them. I guess they were never bored enough.

I recommend the JOLLY brand if you do buy something like this, though. It's a USA product while the other is imported from Scotland or something. I also used to work for Toklat, Likit's distributer in the western half of the states. Such a rotten company that I don't care to support it, so I also avoid buying anything they sell, which includes Likit... especially after they "let me go." Miserable place to work...sad that the word "Likit" made me think of them again. It's been over a year, but the memory is still too young.

Brenda

Back