Lightning

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinypony

Reaction score
For those who live where lightning storms occur, please read this. In August my daughter's beloved arab, Titan (in my avatar), was struck and killed by lightning. He was a part of a 40 horse herd and was singled out. The vet came and pronounced the cause, which shocked me. I guess horses carry some sort of attractive energy in their cell structure that makes them more likely to be struck than even a human. Please, if you have the ability, bring your horses in when the lightning comes. My daughter is still grieving and won't even consider a new horse.

So sorry to hear about your daughters horse. Thank you for thinking of others in your sad time. We usually allow ours access to the barn but we do not close them in. The foals we do, since we do have a lot of trees and when the branches fall it could really hurt one of them.

I wish people would pay attention to your words. I have seen horses blown to bits a few times in Florida. Not a sight I would like to remember. I also saw my friends horse get knocked out cold when she was standing beside a tree that got hit as we were all rushing to get them all inside. Then my son Michael's Quarter horse was struck 12 years ago. He was inside the barn, a shed row barn when a bolt rickosheed from a tree and struck him. It was a tin roof but we had lightening rods on it that were grounded correctly but it still hit him. He lived for a few days on IV fluids and all sorts of meds but he couldn't make it. He was also blinded and his motor skills were gone in his hindquarters. No more metal roofs for me either ever again. Like your daughter, that was all it took for Michael to loose his most beloved friend that horrible way. He hung up his chaps and saddle after that and was too broken hearted to ever have his own horse again.

We have never had a horse struck but in Utah and Nevada we have some wild lightening stormes. In Utah my horses were in a tin shed row but the barn was never hit. My brothers car was and it shreded the tire and welded the rim to the wheel. Here in nevada the stormes have not been as bad as in the past. The nights used to just light up as bright as day. My horses have access to their stalls here but I don't lock them in.

TinyPony, I am so sorry for your loss.
default_sad.png
Your poor daughter must be just devastated. Thanks so much for your warning, it may just save a horse's life someday.

I thought I should also add that it is VERY rare for us to have lightning where we live. Maybe once every few years will the storms affect the valley area. It only takes once....

Latest posts

Back