Lightening Mane

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choklitbean

Reaction score
Hi, I have a silver bay gelding whose mane is getting darker as he ages leaving him looking a little unbalanced with his very light tail. Is there a way to lighten it without using any chemicals. I've considered trying lemon juice in the sun but have heard various things from "it works wonders but it wrecks the hair" to "it's an old wives tale" so I'm a little nervous.

The picture is old and his mane has darkened a fair bit while his tail has stayed about the same.

Attachments

• Cola.jpg
    Cola.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 10
It's quite common for mane and/or tail color to change a bit over time with silvers. Not sure if there is anything for safely lightening a mane or tail.

If it's just stained, which can look like the entire mane and tale has just darkened, try the "green stuff" in the spray bottle from Tractor Supply, it works well. I can't remember who make it but it's "somebodies Spot and Stain remover" it's in with the grooming supplies. It worked well on my chestnut's flaxen mane and tail (and is wonderul on socks).

Thank you for the suggestion but I'm afraid it has actually darkened, it's almost a dull milk chocolate. :) My silver dapple did the same thing, the older he got, the browner his mane and tail became; however, Chinook's darkened evenly so it looked natural. Cola has that lovely bright tail and the chocolatey-gray mane, lol. Makes him look a little... odd. :)

I was talking to someone who said to go ahead and try the lemon juice and sunlight. They thought it would work without damaging the hair so I might just give that a whirl and see what happens.

Thank you! :) He is beautiful and sweet. When I was brushing him out a couple of days ago, I noticed that there is a new growth of tail hair coming in, in a milk chocolate colour. If I leave everything alone he will be more evenly coloured, but I'll miss the beautiful contrast of the bright mane and tail. I had a family member who used to say, "You don't ride the head" meaning no one should be so hung up on beauty that they can't appreciate the good nature and biddability of a great horse. In this case it's not the colour that greets me with happy whinneys and sweet kisses or cheerfully pulls the cart on our adventures. He's a little dream and a wonderful gift. I'll probably just leave him rather than risk drying out his glorious, if not brilliant, mane.

Back