Life questions from a 20 something year old

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing to consider about waiting till later to start a family: the knowledge and companionship of older generations may be missed. I never knew my grandmothers; they were both dead by the time I was born. I heard a lot about them from people who loved and admired them. Sometimes I go to the cemetery and chat with my dad's mother. He loved her so much. And now my dad is gone also. My sons did get to know my dad, but the grandchildren never will.

Sometimes life doesn't go as one plans.... WE wanted a family almost immediately, but Mother Nature had other plans. I was 22 and Larry was 26. Both sets of parents would have been doting grandparents..... But I had 3 miscarriages and then nothing..... Went through a lot of infertility medical crap while in my 30's. Had 3 failed adoptions (mothers changed their minds) and then we tried once more and our daughter is now 23 years old (with LOTS of foster siblings!) Sadly, she never had a chance to know MY folks, but Larry's folks enjoyed her for a few years and she still has fond memories of them.

So, you are 27 now? Listen to your gut (inner voice), and hopefully the timing will be right.

Another year has gone by and I've been absent from this forum lol.

One thing to consider about waiting till later to start a family: the knowledge and companionship of older generations may be missed. I never knew my grandmothers; they were both dead by the time I was born. I heard a lot about them from people who loved and admired them. Sometimes I go to the cemetery and chat with my dad's mother. He loved her so much. And now my dad is gone also. My sons did get to know my dad, but the grandchildren never will.

Very good point! That older wisdom is certainly something to cherish. One thing we do have going for us that way is our parents both started young, and hubby and I are both the oldest, so our parents are still young. Most of our grandparents are still alive and doing fairly well.

Our mothers are both the youngest (by a lot), so their parents are getting advanced in age, and we've both lost our Grandfathers on that side (I lost mine young though). Those are two men we highly looked up to and do really wish our kids could have known.

Sometimes life doesn't go as one plans.... WE wanted a family almost immediately, but Mother Nature had other plans. I was 22 and Larry was 26. Both sets of parents would have been doting grandparents..... But I had 3 miscarriages and then nothing..... Went through a lot of infertility medical crap while in my 30's. Had 3 failed adoptions (mothers changed their minds) and then we tried once more and our daughter is now 23 years old (with LOTS of foster siblings!) Sadly, she never had a chance to know MY folks, but Larry's folks enjoyed her for a few years and she still has fond memories of them.

So, you are 27 now? Listen to your gut (inner voice), and hopefully the timing will be right.

Life does have a quite way of happening sometimes and throwing wrenches at your plans. I'm sorry for the heartache you have been through. I'm watching one of my best friends who so desperately wants a child struggle with infertility, and it is so hard. I wish her the best and hope it can happen for her one day, one way or another.

And every one of those kids is lucky to have you in their lives!

I did want to update too and thank everyone so much for their advise and life experiences shared. I am so grateful. My mind was certainly put at ease. After some more reflection, we decided it was time and I am due any day now! I feel so at ease sharing my life with a child, hubby, and the horses!
View attachment 43769
Aww, what a sweet picture! Congratulations!!! Please let us know the gender and when the little one arrives. ❤

Hey again!

Baby is here! They ended up inducing me at 39 weeks, my blood pressure had been a bit high for a couple weeks before that and Dr. didn't like that and didn't want to take any chances. Labored for 12 hours. Labor was not near as hard or scary as I thought it would be. But, shortly after I finally asked for an epidural, we ended with an emergency c-section.

Turns out little man's cord was wrapped around his neck 2x and it was too short for him to drop down into position. My contractions were also squeezing it and cutting off his blood supply.
IMG953871.jpgIMG953877.jpgIMG953880.jpg
So happy to have him here! He is exactly a week old today. I took him out Sunday to meet the animals. They didn't quite know what to think of him lol. The pics are a bit fuzzy, but I still love them!

Congratulations on a handsome little boy! Glad the delivery went relatively smoothly, and he got out safely. ❤

Hey again!

Baby is here! They ended up inducing me at 39 weeks, my blood pressure had been a bit high for a couple weeks before that and Dr. didn't like that and didn't want to take any chances. Labored for 12 hours. Labor was not near as hard or scary as I thought it would be. But, shortly after I finally asked for an epidural, we ended with an emergency c-section.

Turns out little man's cord was wrapped around his neck 2x and it was too short for him to drop down into position. My contractions were also squeezing it and cutting off his blood supply.
View attachment 43873View attachment 43874View attachment 43875
So happy to have him here! He is exactly a week old today. I took him out Sunday to meet the animals. They didn't quite know what to think of him lol. The pics are a bit fuzzy, but I still love them!
[/QUOTE/]

Easy on those stitches, Momma!

Congratulations from here in NC, too.

It's so NICE to see a younger person exposing the baby to LIFE from the very beginning.🥰 I caught a LOT of flack for doing that with my twins, particularly since they were 6 weeks early. However, they've grown into well-rounded adults with strong constitutions that recover quickly from illness. Aaaaand, they like animals, too!

I hope your family, and critters, all grow together in love!

Latest posts

Back