Life is about to change

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
Everyone is well aware of the strained economy. My husband is in new home sales and has been for about 5 years now. The first two years were wonderful. I never thought we could see that much money coming in. It just didn't seem right lol :DOH! Then he got laid off which was a living heck! I never want to set ourselves up like that again
default_no.gif
We have been pretty lucky in that he has found steady employment since then. Even with his current builder, he has been able to make decent money which is surprising since the housing market is so low. But his builder has announced that they are selling off some of their communities and land which means more lay-offs
default_no.gif
Lucky for us, they really like my husband so they offered a position to him before offering it to any of the other agents. He of course took it but it requires a 2 hour drive each way
default_sad.png
It is really taking it's toll on him. Plus it is only a matter of time before the builder would decide to lay everyone off. It's just not a safe position to be in right now.

On top of the uncertainty of future employment and the long long drive, my husband hasn't had a weekend off in 5 years. Well except for when we went on our cruise. It's time for a change.

So yesterday he went and took the POST exam for entrance into the police academy. I don't think you can get more secure than that
default_yes.gif
Plus he is always complaining how he wants to be more connected and involved in the community. He thinks he did really well on the written portion and he knows he passed the physical part so now he just has to wait for the results. If he passed the written part than he can apply for the city recruit position. The board exam is in August and their next class starts in November
default_yes.gif
It will be a bit of a pay cut for him but he is totally ok with that. In the future he plans to stay involved in the real estate market but he will do re-sale. That will give him more flexibility but it won't own us like new home sales has for the past 5 years.

I am pretty excited for him
default_yes.gif
He really lost faith in himself when he got laid off but I see that spark in him again, like he has a purpose
default_yes.gif
Please wish him luck and send your prayers his way for a good score on the written portion
default_yes.gif

Thanks for listening to me ramble
default_biggrin.png

Good wishes and prayers he will Ace the exam. Sounds like a real good job. Best of luck to him.

default_aktion033.gif
Good luck you two! What a great opportunity for him and how wonderful that's he's feeling secure and like himself again

default_aktion033.gif
Keeping my fingers crossed he aces the test.
default_aktion033.gif

I definitely wish him luck with passing the written part. My husband is also in new home sales. Our market down here in Florida has been awful. It seems to be starting to come back a little. Dave was a policeman before he became a realtor.

Once we sell our house and move to Tennessee, I hope Dave goes into something different, although I am being told the market is pretty good there. If he sticks with real estate, he will be doing resales.

Good luck.

Barbie

Good luck to him and you both!!!

Also, it sounds like he's a good sales person. Know that someone who can sell can make a living selling anything he or she chooses. I'm a sales person really and it has treated me pretty well
default_yes.gif
It's something your husband will always have to fall back on if he wants.

Just one thing about being a cop. There is a huge amount of turn around in that job. YOu get burnt out fast as the newbies tend to get the unwanted shifts, mainly over nights. ITs also, depending on where you live very risky.

My neighbors are cops. I have heard more then my fair share of bad stories from them and they dont work in big towns.

Be prepard for what it intails and make sure you are BOTH ok with it.

Well Good Luck on his new venture. A friend of mine was a cop for 25 yrs and loved it and now retired and became the mayor of the same town
default_yes.gif

Thanks so much everyone
default_yes.gif
Since I was in the military I have an idea of the rigorous schedules and commitment that it takes to be in this type of job. So I feel like I am prepared to be supportive about it. I think he realizes that he will have to start at the bottom and work his way up.. He is looking at the potential for growth in the future. He doesn't plan to stay a main stream cop forever. He would like to get his degree and move into a specialty field. If he makes it into the academy I'm sure he will know within a few weeks whether he will like it or not. It is very much like military basic training and I know a thing or two about that lol
default_biggrin.png
So I have been giving him little tips here and there
default_yes.gif

No one job is for everyone and I have met many cops that love their jobs. My uncle is one of them. He is now retired but is still volunteering because he just can't let it go
default_yes.gif
Hopefully it will work out for the best

Latest posts

Back