Life choices for horses...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
Well our family has always had horses...I can't remember a time when we didn't own large horses and then when I was 11 or so we got into miniature horses as well. Since then we have always had both...About three years ago I purchased two new miniatures as well as a new large horse, since that time my miniatures have lived at home and I have boarded out my large horse.

For the area my board is on the low end but it is still very costly at $400.00 per month. For a number of reasons lately I have been thinking about selling my large horse...mostly because I no longer ride as much as I used to and basically I'm paying $6000.00 plus a year to have someone else ride my glorified dog. haha. The horse I have right now is a horse that yes I love but we've never connected like any of my other horses. He is not a cuddley sort of horse but the place where he is at now he is a completely different horse (for the better) and is so happy. He has a leasor who is about 11years old who rides him on the weekend...the other week her Mum asked me in a round about sort of way if I would be willing to move on/sell him. The topic was quickly changed by another person and my first instinct was to say no but not long after I started to seriously think about selling him. I am the sort of person who once I buy an animal, I will give it a wonderful forever home. That being said I think that my leasor would be able to learn so much from him, she already has. So althogh I am not making a final choice right now as I don't want to make the wrong one I think I am going to sell him. I would love to be able to put that $6000.00 plus a year into the miniatures and get into showing them quite heavily. Also, if I sell my big horse that means I can get a miniature horse trailer rather than a full sized one...which means I can buy a smaller truck which means less money! haha.

I just hope I'm making the right choice...It will be weird to only have miniatures but I think it will be a nice change. I won't have to worry as much about money and I'll be able to go on holidays more easily!

Anyway I suppose really I've already given myself my answer but I just wanted to write that out...am I being crazy? I think I'm being unselfish in that I am thinking of my horse rather than my emotional attachment. What are your thoughts?

I'm in a very similar place; not so much in the boarding department, but in the decision to let my big horse go. I've had him for 12 of his 15 years and love him dearly, but he's been leased to a junior rider for the last two years and is clearly happier with her than he was as a pasture ornament. He loves to show, and I'm just not into competitive riding anymore, and with 13 to 1 vying for my time, he gets incredibly jealous of how much time I spend with the minis. The only other full-sized horses we have are two retired broodmares, so when I'm not with him here he's basically alone, whereas his leasor has him stabled with a dozen other horses and people in and out all day. I've been back and forth on it, but I think my reluctance is purely selfish.

I admire how clearly you can see the situation, and I think if you can rationalize it that easily then it's probably the right thing to do.

If it were me I would sell him.

If I cant have my horses home with me then I cant bond to them. You said yourself you dont use him as much as you used to, you pay alot in a year just to have him hang around. Sounds like he would have a good like and make a young child very very happy.

Oh I know exactly where you are at. I also, have a large horse(quarter horse) that I've considered leasing/selling. I've dreamed of having a horse of his breeding for years. He's 3. I've had him since he was a yearling. He is now over 16 hands. His sire is 16.3. I've had two children in the last 4 years. I don't have the confidence that I used to. At this point I'm thinking about my kids and don't want to get hurt. I can't train him and can't afford to have him trained. Around here it's 1000-1500 a month. He'll need months and months of training. Then when he comes home I don't have a place to ride yet. The plan was to have a ring built, but even that is just too much money. This morning I heard that the gas prices may go up to $5 around my area so I'm just getting more and more concerned about the finances. He kicked out at me last week in aggravation(he had not been turned out of his small run in for a day because of bad weather. He's young and needs a lot of turnout). Luckily, I was on the other side of the fence. This was the first time he had ever done that. I also, wanted to keep him his whole life. He's a lovely, sweet boy, but he's at the age that he really needs some training. Lots to think about.

Sounds like you have a good situation with your leasor and sounds like she would be a wonderful home.

Kim

I have recently made the decision to move away from saddle horses and focus entirely on the minis as well. I just remind myself that this is what is right for me right now (and if it is best for me then there's a good chance it is best for my horses since if they are work rather than pleasure they only get th part of me that does the work) Nothing is written in stone saying if my life changes (in my case thats pretty unlikely) I can't find another large horse and get back into them. Meanwhile I no longer feel guilty each day because I am not giving my sad,dle horses all the attention they need and deserve, or I am not spending the time I'd like with my minis.

We have both miniatures, ponies, AND full sized riding horses.......but we have the land. That being said, my opinion just by what you've shared is that you are being totally UNselfish and are thinking of the happiness of your horse FIRST.

I know exactly where you are coming from...... Even though we have the land and can supplement with some hay to have all the animals we have, it also comes down to -- How much time are we giving each individual personality? They ALL have individual needs and wants and sometimes we cannot provide everyone with everything. Because of that, my husband and I are doing the same Soul Searching and have sold some of our horses to some special homes. That includes special long time mares of ours that I had a difficult time saying good-bye to.

Whew. Now that I've spewed all of that........I'll just say -- Kuddos for thinking of your horse's happiness first.

I used to ride weekly, work for my board, and show (hunter) my thoroughbred when I was in my 20's. I got married, we bought a house land and a horse for my step-daughter to ride, too. Now, I'm 35, I have a 1 year old and my step- daughter prefers boys to horses (UGH!); so I sold the big guys and bought my mini. Best decision... I still own a horse, I can visit my big boys when I get free time and they are now owned by happy horse- crazy little girls and are exercised regularly and spoiled often... And I don't worry about falling off my horse.

I have been "horse crazy" my entire life!
default_aktion033.gif

Riding horses have been in my life every time I've had a place for them to be corralled. Last one, a beautiful reg qtr mare, I GAVE AWAY to an awesome home as I was boarding her and had no time to ride. It was for her benefit. Few yrs passed and hubby & I bought another farm, added horses -- only this time just minis! Hubby crossed "the bridge" and I downsized farm but, still minis.

Last week my son came to me an said his boss was selling farm, had to reg qtr horses, well trained trail animals -- would I want tack and all? He'd consider free lease for good home. Well, gotta tell ya __ I really, really had to think hard about it! I still want to ride on occassion but not on a regular basis as I don't have the time for it -- several friends/neighbors own lovely, well-trained animals and rarely ride. They have often offered theirs for a nice ride!! All in all, I decided against it. The feed bill, pasture dedication for 2 large ones (vice 8-10 minis
default_wub.png
) and all that obligation. Just wasn't "worth it" right now.

If you are not using the animal, only paying a bill -- a great home w3ould be the kindness you want to give.

Latest posts

Back