Lice???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meshale

Reaction score
Is the Sevin dust in the 10%...ok to use????????????

I've used in the past with no problems. Great for getting the pesky little beggers out of winter hair.

The Lice Poem,

by Marty Garrison

As I was watching my horse one day,

I love to watch her when she's at play.

I noticed she began to scratch on a tree,

Her mane and tail was driving her absolutely crazy!

I brought her in to have a real good look.

I was disgusted with what I saw, and that's all it took

. It was lice sucking and biting at her,

This cannot be happening in her beautiful fur!

But it was true, and they had to go,

I declared war on them right away you know,

so if you have some, just don't worry & take my advice

, and that will be the end of these horrible lice.

This is what I did to make them leave,

Just come along with me, and roll up your sleeves.

It's not hard, we'll make them go away,

just get some supplies and start right away

. I de-wormed with Ivermectrin-

but that's not always enough to get them

. Then dust away with de-lousing powder on it,

open the hairs up and get in there where they sit.

And then get a little lice comb that comes with RID,

and comb them out good, that's what I did.

And after that you can shampoo with flea suds

, I used Sargents and got it all over my duds

. And you can spray the RID too if you choose,

or use their shampoo, you can't loose

. And then the trick is to repeat some of this,

in 7 to 10 days and you're horse will be in bliss.

And check for the eggs, yes they lay eggs too,

but in a few days, they won't hatch now for you.

Cause you've clobbered the ugly beasties on your horse

. And he's so grateful for all that relief, of course.

But you must dis-infect all your grooming tools now.

Be sure you don't forget that halter too, wow!

And you need to really check yourself too,

cause those nasty buggars could have jumped onto you!

This is a fairly dumb question from someone totally inexperienced about this parasite, but HOW do you tell if your horse(s) has/have lice? Are they easily visible? If so, what do they look like?

I have used Sevin dust in the past, but my vet now tells me NO! Instead use a lice dust that is a pyrethroid. Sevin is, I believe, an organophosphate which can be a problem.

Charlotte

I LOVE THE POEM...TOOOO FUNNY!!!!!!! :lol:

I went back to the store tonight and was talking to a horse breeder that has been in the biz for a long time and she uses the Sevin..and puts it in an old sock and then rubs down the horse with the sock all over...she said that way you don't waste and it gets everywhere it needs to!.....i thought it was a good idea*S*...oh ya and i ended up getting the 5%..and keeping the 10% for bedding and stuff......
default_yes.gif
:

Lice is so lovely to look at.

There are different kinds of lice. Some are off white and look like teeny bits of rice.

You might mistake it for dandruff at first if you don't look down in there real closely.

Sometimes they look just like little dots too.

Some are kinda brownish and also very small. Then there's the eggs. All so gross.

I've also used Sevin dust for years. There is also a horse-lice dust that is found in most tack stores too.

There are two types of lice, the biting and sucking (they look different apparently).

Sevin is what most people recommend.

I know someone on here in the past used Ivermectin pour on - it may have been for sheep - for lice. I don't remember who posted that, and I've never tried it personally.

I also know people that use the dog flea/tick powders that have pymerthin (sp) in them. I haven't tried that either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, dose the mini with an ivermectin wormer and again in 14 days. It does help. Does anyone know if lice powder is ok on a pregnant mare? Just curious.

My vet says not to use lice dust on or around pregant mares because it will pass on to the fetus and cause problems. I've used Ivermectin and Repel-x liquid very successfully.

Tammie

You know i was looking at his mane tonight and he has just destroyed his mane in the middle..rubbed it so much that it is like really coarse and broken down to about 3-4 inches in some spots...what can i do to help heal the mane..it is sooo bridle and broken...... :no:

Latest posts

Back