Liability Insurance

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMiniGal

Reaction score
Awhile back, I was asking about it, and it was once again brought up on the Driving board, so I thought I would pass this on. I just joined and paid to become a non-competitive member of the United States Equestrian Federation, and for $70, I am a member, plus you get a $1,000,000 liability insurance policy. You have to renew every year, of course, but that comes down to around $5.80 a month, for the insurance. I don't know how much it would cost of someone that is planning on competing, but I think the membership fee is the same, but don't quote me on that. My membership and policy doesn't come into effect until Jan. But I I decided to pay for it now, so I wouldn't forget later. Anyway, just wanted to pass this on, incase others would like to do this also.

Good advice MyMiniGal. Here in Canada we have the Horse Council (Provincial) and ... (shoot my memory is bad today) something federal as well. We are covered under our own membership with Horse Council of BC and again by the club's membership (local mini club) if we are at a club function of any kind. There are certainly rules involved in this insurance (must dos and do nots) but that is the case with most insurance and because they have so many people packaged for the insurance co. it is very inexpensive. One thing it doesn't cover tho is if you have a horse related business such as charging to make appearances or give rides so if you do any of that it is worth checking the coverage.

So would that coverage include if you were doing parades? I am in the U.S. and it may be worth it if it covered participating in parades.

I believe it does. I have a policy with equisure thru the USEF and it states that im covered as long as I am not collecting a fee for the activity. Parades, free/volunteer therapy work and educational promotions should be covered.

That would give us a piece of mind! I will be looking into that! Thank you!

Susan, hope you'll share what you find out with all of us here; I think it would be very helpful!!

Thanks,

Margo

From my understanding, as long as you aren't charging for whatever you are doing, with your horse, then you are covered.

Latest posts

Back