Lexus and Royal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
Royal has turned out to be the sweetest, most gentle, calm colt I've ever handled. I couldn't be happier with him. A while after he got here he started to seem a bit listless, bored. I had to turn each horse out separately since I had the two stallions and one mare. Lexus was fine with individual turnout, as was Teddy. But Royal was used to frolicking with his buddies. I asked Mona (who I purchased Royal from) what she thought I should do. She said that since Lexus was bred to Royal and is probably in foal why not try them together. She said that Lex would put him in his place and teach him some manners. Well...all it took was for Lex to tell him off firmly about three times. Royal got it and stayed away. Now, a week or two later, they can be right next to each other and nuzzle. Lexus even urinates a bit and squats and Royal checks it out and "knows" she is in foal and doesn't even drop and walks away; already a pro
default_biggrin.png
He's a happy boy again!

Anyhoo, without further ado, here is the happy couple on a sunny summer morning enjoying breakfast (Thanks again Mona!)

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0030-1.jpg

And just a cute one of Lex from a couple of months ago...

DSCF0119.jpg

They look quite content, Matt.
default_smile.png
When's the foal due? I have the same issue here. My mares are only bred every other year...so he stays with them from May to early April. He gets depressed for 3 days when I start pasturing them separately again.
default_sad.png
Extra attention works. I work so hard at keeping him content, and for the most part he's a happy camper, but my plan is to keep a colt--if one is ever born here--and have him gelded to be Jazz's buddy on the off years.
default_smile.png

edited for spelling. :DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:
They look quite content, Matt.
default_smile.png
When's the foal due? I have the same issue here. My mares are only bred every other year...so he stays with them from May to early April. He gets depressed for 3 days when I start pasturing them separately again.
default_sad.png
Extra attention works. I work so hard at keeping him content, and for the most part he's a happy camper, but my plan is to keep a colt--if one is ever born here--and have him gelded to be Jazz's buddy on the off years.
default_smile.png

edited for spelling. :DOH!

That's what I'm going to do too I think. Or I may even geld Teddy and have him as a buddy.

I was going to say that the foal is due on May 3, 2009. But...THEY JUST BRED AS I TYPE THIS! So...maybe she wasn't in foal. Is it possible that she is in foal and just being a little jezebel LOL?

For sure.

Thanks!

Mona, BTW, Royal has got a nice layer of fur already!!!! He's already getting ready for winter! Can you believe that!?!?!?!? If it's really hot I'll usually turn him and Lex out in the morning and then sponge him off when I bring them in. Since I won't be showing him this year, I'll probably leave him as is (I did trim his bridle path and beard the other day).

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Matt you are sooo lucky!! I love Royal!! Congrats should be a nice little foal when it comes!! Looks like he is very happy with you now!!

Hi Matt. I'm so glad it all worked out well their for your little group! Royal's looking great!
default_yes.gif
I can't wait to see that foal! I was hoping she had taken on her first cycle, but maybe she never if she let him breed her again...hard to say. Hopefully if not, he'll "get'r done" this time!
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back