Levi will be a gelding next week :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
I'm getting Levi and his buddy, Kainan, gelded next week. I've gone back and forth, but I really don't think I want to breed anymore, and I'd like to be able to turn him out with Willow and Lex once his buddy goes home/is sold. He really is a stunner, extremely refined and has a gorgeous head....and very correct. But...I really want to keep him and don't really want a stallion here, with just his mom here and Willow. So...snip snip next week
default_smile.png

As an aside. What do you all pay for gelding in your area? I was quoted $150.

Hey Matt! I am getting 2 of my yearling colts gelded on Tue afternoon!

You have a good price!!!! My vet quoted $200-250 depending on how much med.

he has to use--and we are basically in the same area.

Here it's expensive... $500! A few vets around here are slightly less expensive, but $150 is very reasonable.

He will make an EXCELLENT gelding! Have you thought about showing him at all? My vet charges $100 for gelding.

I had a 7 year old stallion gelded last summer, it was about $125 (plus lots of gas, as I hauled him 150 miles to the best equine clinic in the area); I chose the vet I did, as he's sensitive to sedative, so wanted him at a good clinic with more facilities than the local vets. All was fine.

Thanks. I really don't have time to show (I look after the animals, house, etc.....gotta earn my keep ;). If someone would show him for me....I may be into that....

My vet charges around $200-$250, depending on the amount /kind of drugs needed, I have had some that needed to be topped off if the sedation is starting to wear off, usually it falls into the $200 range and then the call fee on top of that, the last one gelded was my senior stallion last fall. I always tried to schedule a few floats the same visit, to help justify the call charge.

Mona, I am right there with you!

We are very lucky, the vet we use charges $70.00. This may not be an option for you but if you have any veterinary schools near you, they sometimes have "specials" with a much lower cost. Or, there may be societies (Humane Society, ASPCA, etc) that sponsor free or inexpensive gelding as a way to promote responsible ownership.

Latest posts

Back