Letting go of the reins..........................

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
I realized yesterday how protective I am about my little one. My cousin who is a VERY experienced whip, she exercises trotters at our local race tracks and works for a local trainer. Came to give my girl (Tweet) a spin, so I could watch her move.

After I followed her around 4 laps of the arena saying over and over again she has a REALLY light touch..... Susie said Kim RELAX and go watch. I can't decide which is better now DRIVING or WATCHING my mare being driven by someone who KNOWS how. I hate to admit it but she worked better for her than she does me. CRAPOLA! (I had a flash back to my dressage instructor saying 95% of whats holding your horse back is her rider.) EEKS, and I thought this was going to be easier.

The best part is Susie had a big smile on her face the whole time. She gave me one of my really long GOOOOD job! That little mare adapted to the new set of hands without any resistance whatsoever, gave her extension and collection and great bends. One of the things I need to work on is consistent rein and whip, I kinda mastered it when riding but jeeze its a LONG way to the bit!

So moral of this long story is let go of those reins and watch a better driver work your horse you can learn TONS!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe, good for you! I need to do that too, definitely.

On the other hand, sometimes it's fun to see your horse with a beginner too. Shows you A) how much your horse has really learned to do on their own, and B) you can watch their reactions and realize they may be doing the same thing to you only NOW the cause is obvious from the ground. Helps me to drive better.

Leia

It is always great to watch your horse move....it can make you so proud that is your horse!!!

Since I am usually the person in the cart, I don't really get to "see" what they look like..Here is a little trick, have someone video you and your horse while you are driving. Then you can watch it for yourself and see what is going one.

It is a great way for me to show my daughter's what they are doing. They THINK they are doing it right, cuz lets face it, teenagers just KNOW everything!!!
yes.gif
wacko.gif
rolleyes.gif
...But the film doesn't lie!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Gets them every time!

Latest posts

Back