Lets see your....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a filly that is from solid parents. Her mother is a sooty buckskin, and her sire is a silver dapple. My filly is a silver bay with one blue eye. A couple of years later the mare threw a buckskin baby with bright blue eyes! (she was sold before I had a chance to buy her!) So, I am assuming that the blue eyes came from the mare. There is no pinto, or any other color in the background that I can see that caused my filly's blue eye.

So, here's my question...could this mean that somewhere in this filly there is a creme or dilute gene that she could pass on?

Kim R.

Kim Rule said:
I have a filly that is from solid parents.  Her mother is a sooty buckskin, and her sire is a silver dapple.  My filly is a silver bay with one blue eye.  So, here's my question...could this mean that somewhere in this filly there is a creme or dilute gene that she could pass on?

Kim R.

448679[/snapback]

Kim, a silver bay wouldn't have a creme gene-- if they have it, it shows (buckskin, palomino, etc), it can't be hidden.

I had a filly born several years ago with one bright blue eye (it stayed blue); her sire was an appy and her dam a solid with a blaze. I don't know what genetics caused the blue eye but it was pretty cool.

Thanks EVERYONE!!! Your horses are GORGEOUS!!

I am soooooooooooo in love with blue yes right now, and some people dont even like them!

-Gage-

I really like blued eyed horses as well, but in the English big horse world they tend to be frowned upon. However when we got into minis, I was able to indulge myself!

So here is one of my blue eye kids, Rogue, who has one really blue eye and another partial ice blue/brown eye. He has produced many blue eyed kids out of non blue eyed mares.
rougehead.jpg

(Ramblin Starbuck x Liberty's Little Scarlet)

Here is one of my blue eyed horses, "Smidgen". Her dam is a sorrel pinto with brown eyes and her sire is a solid bay also with brown eyes.

smidgen%20head.jpg

My other blue eyed horse is my cremello mare, Morningstar, but I do not have any closeups of her eyes, but here's a baby picture and a grown up picture. Ironically, she is one of only two minis I own who are old enough to drive, but aren't yet trained! Both Morningstar's parents have brown eyes. Hers being blue is because she's double dilute...

morningstar1.jpg

morningstar-06222003-1.jpg

Jill, Jill, Jill....How could you have a horse that moves like that and not drive her???
wink.gif

Despite not really caring for blue eyes, I now have two blue-eyed horses. I don't have any pictures of their blue eyes, though.

Here is Reflections What A Star, with two blue eyes and eye liner:

WhatAStarJuly05cropped.jpg

This is Redrock Neon Starlight, with one partial blue eye (she carries the splash gene):

11-03Starlight.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back