Lets See Your Big Guys!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osu_barrelracer

Reaction score
I know a lot of you have big horses as well as your minis and ponies! So lets see some pictures! What do you do with them? Do you show, pleasure ride, or are they just pasture ornaments?

We have over thirty big horses, but I'll share a few of ours! Obviously my passion/carrer is barrel horses. A lot of you know my wife sarah, who is quite an accomplished eventer. When we aren't at a mini show, you can bet we are at an event, rodeo, or barrel race!

This is my mare Dolly's Keeper. She put me though my first two years of college when I was college rodeoing for northeastern. She had a Dash For Perks baby last year, and now Sarah is rodeoing on her!

KansasState06-1.jpg

Photo013.jpg

AYRAFinals20052-1.jpg

dolly.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is our boy SSSolid conclusion (son of Mr. Conclusive). He is a jack of all trades. Has done really well in low level eventing and WP. But hes a problem child...needs to live in a padded stall! lol Our vet LOVES him!
default_laugh.png

100_0493-1.jpg

Photo0383.jpg

l_74df4adf98a1bfa60731ebedc7fe4c-1.jpg

This is Jessie...he thinks hes big man on campus. He is one heck of a jam up eventer!

Photo0862-1.jpg

100_0783-1.jpg

l_594db539d48732f8a3befe02409aeb22.jpg

And last but not least, my boy Papas BoJack. I roped off him in college, then went on to do barrel on him

Photo0400-1.jpg

100_0771.jpg

BOJACK2-1.jpg

100_0492-1.jpg

We've got three biggies, my sister has a grade QH gelding, then I have my first horse ever, a roan pintaloosa mare and my AQHA pleasure gelding Zip.. Mainly pasture ornaments, the mare and my sister's gelding are both in their late 20's.. My AQHA fella is 8 this year, greenbroke to ride, REALLY wanting to finish him out, just haven't had the time/money
default_sad.png
I've got a bad hip due to taking a really nasty fall off my mare a few years ago, so don't ride much, but I think Zip will be a nice smooth pleasure ride which I'll be able to stand once we get him finished..

This is my AQHA guy, Zippo's Rowdy Rodder.. Zippo Pine Bar on the bottom, Hotrodder's Jet Set on top.. His sire, Ima Flashy Hotrod, is a full brother to Radical Rodder..

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

Zip and my mare Sugar:

DSC_0170.jpg

My sister's old guy Paco:

100_0771.jpg

The three of them:

100_0767.jpg

We've got three biggies, my sister has a grade QH gelding, then I have my first horse ever, a roan pintaloosa mare and my AQHA pleasure gelding Zip.. Mainly pasture ornaments, the mare and my sister's gelding are both in their late 20's.. My AQHA fella is 8 this year, greenbroke to ride, REALLY wanting to finish him out, just haven't had the time/money
default_sad.png
I've got a bad hip due to taking a really nasty fall off my mare a few years ago, so don't ride much, but I think Zip will be a nice smooth pleasure ride which I'll be able to stand once we get him finished..
Wow your boy looks A LOT like a mare we have. Shes by Zippos Sheik (by Zippo Pine Bar). Almost have the same white markings and all!

Here is my boy Target - yes the Target of targetsmom and On Target Miniatures. I got him in 1994 and he was our introduction to Pintos and their versatility. He was shown in both western & English pleasure, trail, showmanship, & equitation, hunter under saddle, show hack, and dressage and earned his Amateur Pinto Championship in 2003. He is now 23, has had 2 colic surgeries (1998, 2001) that removed half his small intestines, and is pretty much a pasture ornament now. And very lucky to be alive. He also runs the place.

This was shot after his second surgery....

SFEC2.jpg

Our biggie.

APHA Mare. Gambling Bluegenes. By Gambling Man (APHA Supreme Champion) out of Blue Too. (A blue roan sabino overo. (GENETICS TESTED NO GREY) Ridden by a friend of ours.

CopyofGenieTrot.jpg

CopyofGenieEnglish.jpg

CopyofGenieAwesome.jpg

I have 5 biggies here, all are arabians.

My oldest mare who I do pretty much everything with is SPH Phancyphire. She was born in 1998. I bred her. I'm on her in this photo.

Phancykeyhole.jpg

Then their is Contessa Angelina, a 1999 bay mare who goes english and western and is more pleasure as she is slow. She loves to jump. My friend Adam is on her in this photo.

AdamAngel.jpg

Then their is my 2001 straight egyptian mare, Malibelle Bint Bint Nadira, who is a nice mare to ride. I am on her in this photo.

DSC00310.jpg

Then their is my husbands mare, SPH Sameera Sunnphire, born in 2003 that I bred, who we just learnt this summer she loves gymkhana. My friend Jeff is on her in this photo.

img_5171.jpg

Then the last one is my 2007 stallion, Abukus Jamaal KE, who is a sweety. I am holding him in this photo.

AJ3.jpg

We have two big horses here,

first my 22 year old 14.2 hand quarter horse Pesky Nebraska Girl ''Pesky'' she was a working cow horse in Nebraska when she was younger. 12 hours a day 7 days a week and she went barefoot too. Then she came to maine where they Barrel raced her competitively for nine years.

I trail ride Pesky now, she is wonderful to ride and so safe on the road with Semis and gravel trucks. She is still so game and lively I would never guess she was 22.

She has Man O War seven generations back on her sires side and eight generations on mothers side.

click pictures to enlarge> Pesky when she first arrived> And a recent picture>

Our other big horse is ''Morning Glory'' a 14.3 hand three year old Andalusian-Arabian who we bred. She is in riding training and is very good at Clinton Anderson ground work. Morning glory jumped over a four foot fence as a yearling and fractured her pelvis, she lost a lot of muscle tone on one side but she had Acupuncture and Chiropractics and is completely healed now. You would never be able to tell she had the injury. here are some Pictures>

This is Sonny AQHA 1/2 thoroughbred taken this summer at 27 years young. This is the horse that is nobody's play toy and nobody's fool. Sonny is without a doubt the most difficult horse I have ever in my life had to train and show. Sonny is wired. He's incredibly sensitive. When he's into it, he's spot on and will give you his heart, but when the mood strikes him to be an idiot, look out cause he'll give you one heck of a challenge and can become a bloomin fool, but that's what I also love about him. He is very unpredictable. He has had to be in turn out alone and treated as a stallion because he is a danger to all other horses so he visits them by the fence. I've shown him in a variety of english and western classes all his life and for the most part I can't complain as he's won plenty. He has never hurt me and is a complete love and a mush all wrapped into one, but I still have to be on my toes with him. I keep trying to remind him that we're old now and he can stop being goofy at any time because I'm ready. Presently, he does nothing for a living except eat, drink, poop, and be merry.

Project2-1.png

I have Fizz, or My Phrist Issue, a Half Arab and National Show Horse mare. She's 12 years old and went to Nationals in Country English Pleasure (prior to me purchasing her.) What do I do with her? Ride here on/off the ranch, work a little cattle, give rides to guests and am working on getting her used to the real world. She is a little scared of anything outside the ring. She's a spazz, LOVES to work, hates to be pet, begs to be groomed, and really really really would make a fantastic eventer or enduro horse. With little kids and a DH who's on call 24/7/365, that person is not going to be me. But, I try to keep her mind busy and work with her as much as I can. She's awesome.
default_wub.png

Here's a video of her, from back before I bought here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im2lENB92YE

I grew up riding English, Fox Hunting, hunter/jumper, etc. Being in TX and not a member of any horsey groups has put a real dent in that, though.
default_sad.png

Me on Fizz.

DSC00122.jpg

My DH on her.

DSC00137.jpg

Snoozing with Flicker.

DSC00167.jpg

Working out with a friend.

IMG_2952.jpg

Here is my Dutch WB / Hanoverian / ASB mare named Amirah. AKA my dream dressage horse.

She is 4 years old, I just broke her this spring, and she is doing great!!
default_wub.png

This girl can trot like no tomorrow!!
default_new_shocked.gif
She just moves like a dream.

She has a very puppy dog personality, just a ham.

I love her.

lila.jpg

lilahead.jpg

lila2.jpg

This is my one big guy...3/4 polish-1/4 Egyptian arabian --- PAB Fortunes Shadow

He is green broke and I am trying to save up to finish training him. He has an awesome trot and I know he is going to be a dream to ride!! Right now he is an 11 year old pasture ornament and couldn't be a sweeter guy!!!

100_0012.jpg

shadowbeforeandafter004.jpg

shadow1.jpg

Here are our big guys... I love our minis but I don't know that I could live without the biggies...

Buster is an appendix and is 5-years-old. We purchased him from a local mini breeder who was breeding the biggies before (Amy's Critters). This was me on him last winter....

DSC_4186_3.jpg

Joe is a QH/Arab cross, he's about 16-years-old... This was a couple years ago.

2b52.jpg

Fay is my straight Egyptian Arab mare. She's 4 this year, I will start her after I have our baby at the end of January...

DSC_4201.jpg

And then we have Fire Star, he's an Impressive bred QH... I think he's 7-years-old (I'd have to ask again). We took him on from Lisa (Runaway Ranch on here) after her beloved husband, Robert passed away almost 2 years ago. I am going to start working with him after I have our baby too.

DSC_6685.jpg

Everyone has probably seen my guys before, but it's always fun to share them!

Continental Affair "Connie" is a 1997 TB. I competed her through training level eventing, but am busy with college right now, and am focusing more on dressage. She is pretty complicated to ride, is very sensitive, and is very much a one person horse, but when she is "on", she is incredible!

n1037944700_1999538_675.jpg

n1037944700_1999544_2783.jpg

PL Geronimo "Mo" is my old man. He was our first horse, and is 23 this year, though he doesn't know it! He's done it all, arab A shows, racing on the arab circuit, endurance, english and western pleasure/ equitation with me in 4H, and he was a great trail horse. We learned how to event togeather when he was 17, and now he is back to being my occasional trail horse.

These were taken today, Mo at 23!

DSCN1375.jpg

DSCN1383-1.jpg

And at 18 durring our second year of eventing

img080.jpg

Black Pearl "Sparrow" is my 8 year old connemara/ appy games pony. She is awesome for games, loves to run, and is very competitive.

n1037944700_2398109_2858965.jpg

n1037944700_2398113_199250.jpg

n1037944700_2398114_8096911.jpg

More to come...

Reba is an Appendix/ Welsh cross, and is a great all around pony. She is the one that I can trust with anyone, she is good with beginners, but also has a lot to offer a more experienced rider who is willing to work through her initial "testing" to find the talent beneath. She started out as a games pony, but hated it, and now fills in wherever I need her. I've taken her to a few hunter shows, and when Connie was injured two weeks before the College Team Challenge last fall, Reba filled in. She is also a total princess, and has a stubborn streak for sure!

n1037944700_2390983_4260463.jpg

n1037944700_2390982_4846752.jpg

n1037944700_2390985_7975623.jpg

Bella is a yearling Welsh filly, and the love of my life!
default_laugh.png
She has a very funny personality, a great mind, and is a blast to work with. I can't wait until she is old enough to break
default_wub.png

3304_1148544867301_1037944700_24386.jpg

6374_1190341912201_1037944700_25917.jpg

6374_1190345032279_1037944700_25918.jpg

Here are a few videos of her too.

Jack is my dad's games pony, they make a great team.

pic100.jpg

Great topic! I love seeing everyones photos of their "big guys". There are some really gorgeous horses that have been posted here.

I only have one "biggie".......he is my Bay Leopard Appy POA. He's almost 14.2" and 5 years old. Had planned on breaking him to ride last year when I acquired him....but caring for my elderly parents kind of put the whammy on that. Just no time.
default_no.gif
Cherokee is a real puppy dog pet, tho, and he loves the Minis....so I don't think he'll be hard to break, whenever I get the time, or find someone else to do it for me.

2009_07_10_CherokeeRunWithMinis0001.JPG

2009_07_10_CherokeeWalk0001.JPG

2009_07_10_CherokeeRolling010001.JPG

CherokeeBreanna20001.JPG

Here is my big guy. He is 3/4 clyde and 1/4 belgian and 17.3hh. I love this boy. I bought him as my riding horse but he also packs, logs and drives. He is just the best! So here is Barney.

barneylogging.jpg

barneysummer.jpg

barneyprance.jpg

Stunning horses everyone has but glad to see a few like shorter horses too. Though am drooling over the draft and the POA, welsh and....!

I have two adult Icelandic horse mares. This is Dyfra.

zoom22aug09.jpg

dyfra2.jpg

Dsnow5.jpg

Stunning horses everyone has but glad to see a few like shorter horses too. Though am drooling over the draft and the POA, welsh and....!
I have two adult Icelandic horse mares. This is Dyfra.

zoom22aug09.jpg

dyfra2.jpg

Dsnow5.jpg
Love the winter picture of your Icelandic, So adorable!

Heres my biggie! You couldn't have a sweeter, smarter, more in your pocket horse, than my Beauty! She is an 8 year old Registered black and white Paint, and is homozygous for tobiano and black! She honestly is perfection!!!! I got her from Shelly who has the black arabian, a few horses back!

DSCN1744.jpg

BEAUTY.jpg

Beauty-1.jpg

DSC00313.jpg

Latest posts

Back