Lets See some Smokey Blacks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamdamster

Reaction score
I'm curious if your smokey blacks have been tested or you just know because one parent was cremello. Thanks.

Read that wrong and posted a smoky cream -- sorry.

Interestingly, Little Kings Black Velvet is a Smoky Black, producing dilute and double dilute foals (out of dilute mares). I'll post a picture of one of his sons, who is also a smoky black as soon as I can get it uploaded.

This is Lucky Four Black Velvet Betterbuck, owned by my good friend, Pineywoods Miniatures. No need to test him. His father was a smoky black and his mother was a perlino. He is "off-black" in color with the typical dilute hazel eyes.

coalhd_smweb.jpg

Robin C

Last edited by a moderator:
girl wasn't tested, but I am pretty darned sure she is a smokey black because her mother is silver dapple, and her sire is a buckskin

Chantill2.jpg

P1090016.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]Heres my boy... He throws palomino and buckskin. Had a sorrel by him out of a bay mare. He goes back to Gold Melody Boy.[/SIZE]

April

MVC-444S.jpg

I am curious as to why you think you would get a smokey black out of a silver dapple mare? I realize the sire was buckskin but that could just as easily get you a bay or black horse.

Here are 2 foal pictures of smokey blacks both out of the same cremello mare sired by well one a buckskin the other a black pinto.

as you can see this one looks like a true non fading black but he is smokey black

Ruff N Tuffs Lightning Strikes Again

strikerback.jpg

and this one is a funky color which goes to show you cant always tell by the shade of black they are

Ruff N Tuffs Jumpin Jack Flash

jacksale2.jpg

This is Bluegables TC's Dark Sensation. She has been DNA tested and carries one dilute gene, and is therefore a smokey black (sometimes referred to as a black buckskin).

nettie3.jpg

She's due to foal any day now, to our buckskin stallion.

Sorry the photo's a bit dark, she is a dark chocolate brown colour with black mane, tail and legs

Brigid

Edited to say, just to avoid confusion regarding her foaling date, she isn't preggers in the above pic!!
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
These 2 adult pinto mares are 1/2 sisters same sire. The 1st mare AND her very light colored pinto filly are both lab tested smokey blacks. The filly also is most likely a dun too which I believe makes her a gruella and has blue eyes. I did not have the other sister lab tested as she is the exact same color and its possible her lovely new son is a genetic black too, only testing will tell.

charadechampbothwalkGood4hrs61405.jpg

charadechampfillyrtsideshowcolorwalk4hr.jpg

ladybluenursestretchrealfar6hr.jpg

The mare in my avatar is a lab tested Smoky Black and her colt in the avatar is a palomino maximum expression sabino..(not perlino only one dominant copy of cream dilution)

I've got 3 smokey blacks.

This is my stallion, Frichnick's Black Cloud, I just had him lab tested and he is smokey black.

Beginning of a winter coat...........

60689rightjuly.JPG

Summer coat.............

29150bcgiraffe2003june.JPG

And this is his yearling daughter, MF Charmed C Me Shimmer, I just had her lab tested and she is also smokey black. She has the hazel/smokey blue eyes.

This picture was taken a few weeks ago, no clipping, natural coat.

29150J17rightshim.JPG

I also have a gelding that is smokey black, I need to upload a picture of him and then I will post it.

junior_stallion_Fury%201a.jpg
Black & white tobiano sire X Buckskin dam

I have to get some good photos of this stallion..he's actually QUITE handsome
biggrin.gif

frekles93 said:
[SIZE=14pt]Heres my boy... He throws palomino and buckskin. Had a sorrel by him out of a bay mare. He goes back to Gold Melody Boy.[/SIZE]
April

I´m sorry but a sorrel out of a bay doesn´t make him a smokey.
biggrin.gif

That would make him a red-carrier.

Only if he will produce a cream dilute out of a non-cream dilute mare.

And he has to have a cream parent.

Here's one of our smoky blacks, he's a White Russian son.

tw5.jpg

We also have a mare and 2 weanling colts that I believe are smoky blacks but I haven't had them tested so I can't guarantee that they are.
smile.gif

Here's mine.......

2 yr old stallion, Mountain Shadows Mystic Ember.

Sire is smokey cream, dam is zebra dun.

emberreo.jpg

Latest posts

Back