LET'S RUN STATS ON NAIL TEST

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mia/MBhorses/Filly/YES

My maiden mare mia nail test said filly she had a filly:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your filly. We now have 10 YES and 7 NO.
default_yes.gif

Abyss/ LC Farm / Filly / No

We are very happy it was wrong, we are hoping it was also wrong with my percheron mare due last wednesday. But hope it is true for our last miniature due the end of May.

do you use any sort of nail like house hold nail or horse shoe nail

I just use a house hold nail and the string from a feed bag.

I just use a house hold nail and the string from a feed bag.
Me, too. I used a 6 penny nail and the string from the feed bag. [6 penny nail just happened to be what was in my feed room tool box that wasn't a fence spike.]

will try it out on my 2 mares the welsh i sent to stud dosent look in foal and the pony i got my daughter to ride at pony club whoshouldn't be in foal looks in foal. info on little pony was very little when we got her thats why ive posted on the forum to ask for help. thread infoal or fat and how old. if anybody here has any ideas will be much appreciated

Aughhhh! Adding the last 3 reporting (all NO) we are now at 11 YES and 10 NO.

So the nail test is right about half the time and wrong about half the time. Darn!

Aughhhh! Adding the last 3 reporting (all NO) we are now at 11 YES and 10 NO.

So the nail test is right about half the time and wrong about half the time. Darn!
But, is it always right as to yes pregnant (movement in nail of any kind) or not pregnant (no movement of nail)?

None of mine have foaled yet, but I tested all 8 of my mares: all six exposed to stallions, the nail moved (all boys); the two not exposed, the nail didn't move.

But, is it always right as to yes pregnant (movement in nail of any kind) or not pregnant (no movement of nail)?

None of mine have foaled yet, but I tested all 8 of my mares: all six exposed to stallions, the nail moved (all boys); the two not exposed, the nail didn't move.
My guess would be no. Anytime I have actually needed to know if a mare was in foal and for whatever reason wanted to know asap I have asked the vet to ultrasound. Experienced broodmares I normally let time tell as long as there is no medical reason to know for sure.

My guess would be no. Anytime I have actually needed to know if a mare was in foal and for whatever reason wanted to know asap I have asked the vet to ultrasound. Experienced broodmares I normally let time tell as long as there is no medical reason to know for sure.
Well, I was thinking more in the context of this thread; where the string test says boy or girl, has someone come up with no foal after the string test said yes. If I absolutely had to know, then a vet would definitely be in order.

well i tryed nail test today and according to the nail they are both pregnant a colt for the little pony and a filly for the big welsh

so how many times has it been right predicting pregnancy versus wrong? not worried about right or wrong on sex

so how many times has it been right predicting pregnancy versus wrong? not worried about right or wrong on sex
Can't say how many times on actually predicting whether pregnant or not as the issue rather than predicting the foal's sex correctly or not. I know this year Cassie got a prediction of filly but the mare turned out not to be in foal. No doubt others may have as well.

Latest posts

Back