LET'S RUN STATS ON NAIL TEST

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had one of our mares abort this morning at 8.5 months. She tested string circles as a filly but this was a colt.

So

Rockette/ filly/ NO (aborted colt at 8.5 mo)
sorry you lost your little colt
default_no.gif

wow its really interesting see what different mares do... I sure hope my ring test was right with my mare... we dont even know if she is in foal... but I'm hoping for a lovely little filly... we will know in the next two weeks I guess lol

Sandy, so sorry to hear about Rockette. Prayers for you and Gracie and Rockette. Thanks for posting your results though.

6. Rockette/Sandy B/colt/No (test predicted filly;colt was aborted)

So far the nail test has been right 4 times and wrong 2 times.

STILL waiting on Piper to foal to see if she holding to theory......two previous pregnancies - two back and forths - two FILLIES
default_yes.gif
. She also tested back and forth for this pregnancy. Anytime now......
default_rolleyes.gif

It's a FILLY!!!!! Third time in row back and forth has produced filly

Piper/Fantasia/Filly/No (by tradition, yes by my theory)

It's a FILLY!!!!! Third time in row back and forth has produced filly

Piper/Fantasia/Filly/No (by tradition, yes by my theory)

default_aktion033.gif
Congratulations on your filly!

Love the theory of tradition...or would that be tradition of exception? Sounds like you have it figured out though.

Ok, with 7 reporting we have 4 YES and 3 NO. Sooooooooo....next?? I know there is a lot of mare watching going on right now.

LOL - when I re-read that, yes was a bit confusing......

What I meant was that by the popular belief that circle means a filly, my mare gave a line back and forth thereby "bucking the trend".
default_laugh.png

I mentioned in a previous post that it appears that whatever sex is produced on the first foal appears to then be true for that mare. Example my mare who has had the three fillies
default_aktion033.gif
has always had the ring test give a line back and forth.

So by the common thought - NO test was wrong for sex

But by my observation - YES bang on

hope that makes more sense!!!!!!
default_smile.png

LOL - when I re-read that, yes was a bit confusing......

What I meant was that by the popular belief that circle means a filly, my mare gave a line back and forth thereby "bucking the trend".
default_laugh.png

I mentioned in a previous post that it appears that whatever sex is produced on the first foal appears to then be true for that mare. Example my mare who has had the three fillies
default_aktion033.gif

So by the common thought - NO test was wrong for sex

But by my observation - YES bang on

hope that makes more sense!!!!!!
default_smile.png
I know. Too funny. It is like the mare is pulling a fast one on you but you have her figured out. Have you tried the test with a nail or needle instead of a ring?

Yes I have
default_smile.png
have found a ring that only I wear has produced the most accurate results.

I use a tail hair from the mare I'm tesing as well.

default_aktion033.gif
Well I am glad my mare isnt the only one to buck the trend, so I can still hope for that filly this yr as I am getting the line back and forth, which if goes by her trend should be a filly. But a safe delivery and healthy foal is what I really want, the filly would be the icing on the cake.

Congrats on your filly by the way
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tied up the score with another NO. We have 4 YES and 4 NO with my newest addition foaled in the wee hours this morning. Filly was predicted but colt was born!

8. Faith/vickie gee/filly/NO

Great! 5 YES and 4 No with this news. Congrats. Do you have pictures posted anywhere yet?
I have pictures posted on my FB page, but did not want to post her here since she was a quarter horse. This filly is every thing I prayed for though. Mainly I wanted a filly out of my great show mare (all I have ever gotten was colts) and to get a buckskin with chrome and I got it all
default_yes.gif

Bumping this up since we are now really getting into foaling season. Ok, we need

#10 Can we get a number 10????????????
default_please.gif

Ok, here's my results so far.

Nellie/nail test said filly/ had a colt/no

Marcella/said filly/had a colt/no

Ladybug/said colt/had a filly/no

Fly/said colt/had a colt/yes.

Not a great predictor for me, I'm afraid.

Oh yippee! More results are in. Thanks Picasso, Littlebittybritches, and Weerunner.

We are up to 16 reporting. That is Yes at 9 and No at 7 so we are back at over 50% correct on the test. Hmmmmm, has the nail been tricking us? Not enough reliability to make you want to go out and decorate the foal nursery gender wise, 'ya think? It is fun though and much better odds than winning the lottery.

Back