LET'S RUN STATS ON NAIL TEST

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toni G, did Intrigue and Sapphire test open and the yes meant open is correct? If so, we just will not # them, but it is interesting to know that test showed open. It showed open on my three open ones also. It is really looking like test can tell whether open or in foal. When Starlet, Treasure, and Piper foal would you add them as a # show the results?
Yep Sapphire, Intrigue and Sapphire Tested Open and I am Pretty sure it is Right on
default_yes.gif

Absolutely

So this is how it is looking so far with 4 foals (yes meaning test predicted correct sex for the foal). Not a single no. Who gets the next new foaling? Looking forward to "testing the nail test".
default_517.gif
:baby
default_517.gif

1. Choctaw/Filly/vickie gee/yes

2. Spunky/Colt/Lori W/yes

3. Shaz/Filly/Kiss This/yes

4. Lola/Filly/Picasso/yes

Just to put something interestin gout there - I have been keeping records of the nail/ring test for a number of years now.

Have made the following observations;

1. The nail/ring direction may change after about the first 90 days - can only presume as that is when sex is set.

2. Sometimes the "Circle for a filly" "Line for a boy" doesn't hold true - but if a mare gives you a line then has a filly, then every foal thereafter that she gives a line, it has been a filly! So it seems that the mare can have an alternative result but the accuracy of her being in foal is still true.

I have three mares in foal and they have all tested pos with ring prior to vet check. Am awaiting one to go very shortly who has produced two fillies so far and has always given a line result. She again has given me a line end of last month, due end this month.

Will let you know what she has

Back and forth means BOY, around in circles means GIRL, and if it stands still it means NO BABY.
Ok, I'm in. And, whoa that's freaky, I've never tried the string test. According to the string/nail, the berry fairy is going to be very busy at my place this summer.

I have 8 mares: 6 tested pregnant, all boys; two open (they were never bred). Since I've never tried it before, I hope I did it right. I tied a string (off a feed bag) on a nail, then held it over the mare's hips, it took a few seconds, but it swung back and forth of the 6 exposed mares, and didn't move on the two open (I hope I held it long enough over their hips to be sure I was fair with all, I knew they'd be open, so I hope I didn't do theirs wrong). I'm pretty sure I didn't move the string on the 6 exposed mares.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes. My purchased mare will be breaking her routine if the string test is right; she's had 6 foals with alternating sexes every year, this year she would have been due for a girl, but the string says boy. As long as they are healthy, I don't care what they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Crystal due in mid May, nail test says filly. I'll let you know.

Dunny/filly/wrs/no

We tested her several times and it always went in a circle, but she gave us a colt last night.

awesome thread Vicki,

so fascinating

and quite correct too...

WRS congrats on your new little colt...
default_wub.png

ok I'll add my mare... due in the next two weeks...

Penny/Filly/Cassie

Chandab your going to be very busy with all those colts LOL it will be really interesting to see if yours is correct!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png

bring it on!!!

Chandab your going to be very busy with all those colts LOL it will be really interesting to see if yours is correct!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png

bring it on!!!
Honestly, I don't care if they are all colts and green with purple polka-dots, as long as they are healthy. I've not had much luck with breeding since getting into minis. Bought a bred mare, foal was early and only survived 24 hours. My herd stallion came up infertile. Did get one filly 3 years ago (different stallion). This year, I have 6 mares that were exposed: one purchased in Oct, 2 bred to the filly's sire, and 3 bred to my new Buckeroo's Top Cat son (purchased Oct 2010, so his first breeding season). We'll see if the string test works on my herd.
default_wink.png

Honestly, I don't care if they are all colts and green with purple polka-dots, as long as they are healthy. I've not had much luck with breeding since getting into minis. Bought a bred mare, foal was early and only survived 24 hours. My herd stallion came up infertile. Did get one filly 3 years ago (different stallion). This year, I have 6 mares that were exposed: one purchased in Oct, 2 bred to the filly's sire, and 3 bred to my new Buckeroo's Top Cat son (purchased Oct 2010, so his first breeding season). We'll see if the string test works on my herd.
default_wink.png

default_yes.gif
...as long as they are healthy. Amen to that!

Dunny/filly/wrs/no

We tested her several times and it always went in a circle, but she gave us a colt last night.

Congratulations on your colt. So now we know the test is not 100% accurate. Thanks, I will add Dunny's results.
default_smile.png

So this is how it is looking so far with 4 foals (yes meaning test predicted correct sex for the foal). Not a single no. Who gets the next new foaling? Looking forward to "testing the nail test".
default_517.gif
default_517.gif

1. Choctaw/Filly/vickie gee/yes

2. Spunky/Colt/Lori W/yes

3. Shaz/Filly/Kiss This/yes

4. Lola/Filly/Picasso/yes
The streak has been broken!

5. Dunny/Colt/wrs/no(test predicted Filly)

Congratulations on your colt. So now we know the test is not 100% accurate. Thanks, I will add Dunny's results.
default_smile.png
I think we need to have two accuracy results... One for just pregnant or not, and then one for whether or not its accurate as to girl or boy.

I think we need to have two accuracy results... One for just pregnant or not, and then one for whether or not its accurate as to girl or boy.

Maybe someone will start up one on the pregnant or not sometime after breeding season. I just wonder how results could be "off" by mares that abort early in a pregnancy without us ever seeing the evidence. I am pretty sure a few years ago one of my mares was pregnant and then a couple of months later she was not.

Maybe someone will start up one on the pregnant or not sometime after breeding season. I just wonder how results could be "off" by mares that abort early in a pregnancy without us ever seeing the evidence. I am pretty sure a few years ago one of my mares was pregnant and then a couple of months later she was not.
good point on the losing it issue.

My mare Laney is due in April. We did the nail test on her and it said she is expecting a filly. We shall see in April
aktion033.gif

I had a mare Last Year, and it said she was in foal (with a Filly). I even had her Ultrasounded after and that Said she was in foal too. But Come March/April no Baby Whatsever, and we waited Stayed up all night (good thing we were watching others
default_rolleyes.gif
. I guess she Aborted Between August - February but we never Found a Baby, and she was Huge
default_rolleyes.gif

I've Also done the Nail Test for the Past 5 Years and Kept all my Results
default_smile.png

it was always Accurate on Mares being Open.

2008: Jazz / FILLY / Yes

2009: Sapphire / FILLY / Yes

2010: Sapphire / COLT / Yes

2011: Starlet / FILLY / this is the Above Mare

2011: Jadis / FILLY / Yes

2011: Sapphire / FILLY / Yes

2011: Merrylegs / COLT / No - (Out Popped a Filly
default_wub.png
)

I have 2 mares in foal but not due till end of June early July.

2012 Slaney - ring test back and forth - colt

I tested Slaney in 2008 and it went round in a circle and I got a colt.

In 2009 it went back and forth and it was a filly.

In 2011 it went round in a circle and it was a colt.

I am hoping it works in reverse for Slaney and this yr I get a filly
default_biggrin.png

2011 Shimmer - ring test round in a circle - filly - YES

2012 Shimmer - ring test round in a circle - Filly - ??

We had one of our mares abort this morning at 8.5 months. She tested string circles as a filly but this was a colt.

So

Rockette/ filly/ NO (aborted colt at 8.5 mo)

Latest posts

Back