LET'S RUN STATS ON NAIL TEST

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
Ok, let's have some fun with the nail test this year. As most of you know this test is considered an ole wives tale performed on a pregnant mare which predicts the sex of the foal. I was thinking we should determine an accuracy rate based on our numbers this year. For those of you that are unfamiliar with it here is how it works: tie a nail to a piece of string (I use sewing thread), hold the string over the mare's hips and watch which way it swings. Back and forth means BOY, around in circles means GIRL, and if it stands still it means NO BABY.

Who's in?

Since I have one arrived already I will start. In order to update simply reply to last post when you get a foal. Using mare name/sex of foal born your user name you post with will keep it simple. We can use YES or NO for whether the foal was the sex the nail test predicted.

I will be 1. Next person to post once their foal arrives just needs to begin reply with 2.

Ok, I will "reply." We can keep tally all the yes and no and arrive at a % accurate eventually. It will also be a quick way to check in on each other to see "who got what and when."

Ok, let's have some fun with the nail test this year. As most of you know this test is considered an ole wives tale performed on a pregnant mare which predicts the sex of the foal. I was thinking we should determine an accuracy rate based on our numbers this year. For those of you that are unfamiliar with it here is how it works: tie a nail to a piece of string (I use sewing thread), hold the string over the mare's hips and watch which way it swings. Back and forth means BOY, around in circles means GIRL, and if it stands still it means NO BABY.

Who's in?

Since I have one arrived already I will start. In order to update simply reply to last post when you get a foal. Using mare name/sex of foal born your user name you post with will keep it simple. We can use YES or NO for whether the foal was the sex the nail test predicted.

I will be 1. Next person to post once their foal arrives just needs to begin reply with 2.

Ok, I will "reply." We can keep tally all the yes and no and arrive at a % accurate eventually. It will also be a quick way to check in on each other to see "who got what and when."

1. Choctaw/girl vickie gee yes

Who's in?

1. Choctaw/girl vickie gee yes

2. Spunky / colt / Lori W / yes (not due until May, but she aborted her foal, a colt, on 01/30; she's doing okay, thank goodness)

Great idea, but as mine are all out in our fields, I will have to wait until the wind dies down to get an accurate reading! No rush for me though as this year we are not foaling until July. Will post my 'predictions' when we get a calm day.
default_yes.gif

Ok, as of right now the ole wives are at 100% correct with 2 yes (and 0 no).
default_thumbup.gif

Lori, I am so sorry about your mare aborting her colt but thank you for adding to the stats. My first experience with a prego mare ended up in a c-section to save the mom and an angel colt.

I'll have to wait until we get back from vacation. Hope the mare waits too as she's not due until late April.

I am in. I am doing it for a Facebook poll as well. Some people swear by it and say they have had over 90% success rates. It is from chinese medicine they say. Well anyway I test my quarter horse mare that is due in less than 3 weeks and she tested for a filly. Then we tested 7 mini mares (1 we felt was not bred). We tested all of them on two different days, a week apart as the first day was a little windy. All the test results were the exact same. 4 fillies, 2 colts and 1 not pregnant (yes the one we suspected was open). I tried to sabotage the test by trying to make the nail circle instead of go back and forth and in the end it would go back to what it first did. On the open mare I tried to get it to move but it would soon stop moving. We also tried it on a gelding and it would not move either. It is creepy weird!! Our mini mares are not due until the end of April.

default_aktion033.gif
What a great idea..I cant join in as no babies for me this year
default_no.gif
but will be interested to see if it works..I used to hatch out Geese for a lady that reared them up for Christmas and she swore by it
default_yes.gif
she would regulary come round and hang the thread over the incubating eggs to see if they were male or female
default_new_shocked.gif
as she would keep all the girls..I used to laugh but yes most of the time it was correct
default_rolleyes.gif

9. Lola/Filly/Picasso-YES born 1/20/12

Last edited by a moderator:
WHOA!!!!

Please wait until foal is born to give it a # and a yes or no.

Sorry, if I did not explain it clear enough. No biggy, we can fix it but right now I gotta get on my way to work. It is ok to to tell what is predicted for your mare, but WAIT until you see the foal to give it a number.

This will make it easier to see % correct on a daily basis. Thanks guys for joining in.
default_new_multi.gif
:HappyBounce Bring on the babies.
default_wub.png

Ok, the real #4 is Lola.

Picasso, would you post Rosie and Khia with a new # when foals are born? Thanks. Can't wait to see if they are as predicted!

Toni G, did Intrigue and Sapphire test open and the yes meant open is correct? If so, we just will not # them, but it is interesting to know that test showed open. It showed open on my three open ones also. It is really looking like test can tell whether open or in foal. When Starlet, Treasure, and Piper foal would you add them as a # show the results?

Thanks ya'll. I am not real proficient on always saying what I mean.
default_smile.png
Ok, let's let Lola be #4.

4. Lola/filly/Picasso/yes

So far with, 4 foalings reported it is looking like the nail test has 4 that were yes(sex was as predicted) out of 4 reported.

That means that we are seeing 100% correct.

ole wives rock!
default_aktion033.gif
and look at the filly trend!
default_yes.gif

Looks like we are ready for #5 foal. Can't wait to see who gets the next foal and how much we can rely on the nail test.

Just did the test and it said both of my stallions are prego!
default_new_shocked.gif

Expecting a filly and a colt by the boys!
default_wacko.png

Looks like Im going to be $$$ RICH $$$

Last edited by a moderator:
2 yeses both fillys due in June..

Tested last year... yes fillys...ome aborted one had a filly.

So far with, 4 foalings reported it is looking like the nail test has 4 that were yes(sex was as predicted) out of 4 reported.

That means that we are seeing 100% correct.

ole wives rock!
default_aktion033.gif
and look at the filly trend!
default_yes.gif

Looks like we are ready for #5 foal. Can't wait to see who gets the next foal and how much we can rely on the nail test.

Do we have a #5? Who is it going to be?

If you have a pregnant mare please see what nail test predicts as far as filly or colt. Tell us please. And then when mare foals please assign it the next # and your mares name along with your user name and a yes if the nail test was right about the sex and a no if the nail test was wrong about the sex.

I have Krazy due end of march filly by Michigan's The King

I have Jackie due end of April filly by Foxlane's Wild Fire

& I have Butter due beginning of June colt by Foxlane's Wild Fire

default_517.gif

I have Krazy due end of march filly by Michigan's The King

I have Jackie due end of April filly by Foxlane's Wild Fire

& I have Butter due beginning of June colt by Foxlane's Wild Fire
Looking forward to seeing if you get your two fillies and a colt!
default_yes.gif

Can you believe all the fillies we are getting? I also did the nail test on my other mare Faith who is 305 days today. It showed filly for her! She is bagging up already so I have narrowed down my girl names to only a few.

Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Back