Lets hear a big round of applause for Suffolk Downs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wish people would understand we can't save everything, and that Slaughter is a Needed (yet gross) necessity.

Slaughter is NOT the issue we need to deal with, we need to do with BREEDING REGULATIONS.

I agree there needs to be something done about the breeding of so many horses but I personally am glad to see at least one track stop the trainers from sending a horse straight to slaughter instead of at least trying to get them in another home with another discipline.

There are trainers out there that will send a horse just to clear the barn space.

Mary

default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
So good to hear there are truly people who care about horses. Thanks for posting the site,,,it made my day. Another Mary
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif

Funny how people can see things so differently, it's just a pass the buck type of rule, the horses can't be sold from the track and go straight to slaughter. It is just the track trying to make themself look like the good guy. I have to wonder what will become of these horses now. All I can hope is they don't suffer too long starving in some ratty field. This has nothing to do with loving horses for pete sake :DOH! .

I for sure don't want my statement to make me look like I don't care for horses. We are in the race industry and have brought home numerous off the track Thoroughbreds and Quarter Horses and given them a new look at life.

BUT this track is truly trying to be the "save all" when really I can pretty much guarantee HUGE lawsuits will entail if they ever inflict those sanctions on someone.

I think we need to be REGULATING slaughter, not banning it. The ban of slaughter hurt the industry a lot. When paired with hard economic times, its really hurting a lot of people and putting them out of work. I can't make a living doing my job anymore. I spent six years in school only to find no demand for my profession once I start working for a few years.

I think we need to be REGULATING slaughter, not banning it. The ban of slaughter hurt the industry a lot.
I agree. I care about horses a lot, but some horses needed to go to slaughter. Now the rescues are filling up, and the horses there are not being adopted like before. Also, people are letting horses go and they are roaming the streets, starving and dying that way. What wouldve been better for those horses out there roaming the streets- getting killed in slaughter right away and being put out of their missery, or being let go in the street, wandering around, and slowly starving and dying anyway?

Nathan, I know it's a bad thing for you and your job situation, but in the big picture I have to think that if people are breeding less that is overall a good thing. Let's be honest, these days people need to be breeding fewer horses--even if there was still a good slaughter market people should be breeding fewer horses, just because there has been a huge over supply of horses for a number of years now.

I'm not entirely against slaughter, though I would like to see better regulations to ensure that horses are transported and killed as humanely as possible--but i sure would hate for the slaughter industry to take off again just so that people could start breeding more horses again!

In theory this policy implemented by this track is a good one, but I'm not sure if it actually works. The key is no trainer is allowed to send horses directly to slaughter...so all a trainer has to do is place his unwanted horses with a "rescue" (or whatever a person or facility might call itself) and then from there the horse is passed on to the slaughter house. The trainer has followed the rule & not sent the horse directly to slaughter, and when it comes down to it he can actually claim that he had no knowledge of the fact that the person he placed his horse with was intending to send that horse on to slaughter.

I agree with Nathan....

How is breeding less going to solve a long time overloaded situation? I do not want the government regulating what and when I can and can't breed. That is a terrible infringement on MY rights. I would however like to see folks have the nerve to put a horse down that needs to be that has been suffering for years, but is still standing out in the backyard, or the folks who dont take care of their livestock so they end up in horrible condition in the first place held legally responsible for their animals and the crime committed against them.

The rescues here, due to the ban on slaughter, are so overloaded that at some, the horses are not getting the best care they could either because the rescue folks are not getting donations (who can afford it now?!) and and do not have the money to provide for five times what they intended to deal with. And it's just getting worse.

So now, folks are dumping horses in the desert, trying to GIVE them away- many with no takers as nobody can afford to feed one now. Many of the 'give aways' are healthy- the people just can't afford to feed it anymore and pay all these other high prices, and they are not selling either. (full sized horses) So then what do you do with them?

What do you do with the crippled, weak, etc.. ? I dont know anyone who wants or can afford to have a big pasture pet right now.

If the horse is in bad shape, and cannot be rehabbed into a healthy useful animal, then have it put down. Instead of dealing with that, they are all dumped on the rescues or at the auctions... In my opinion, that is not being a responsible animal owner! No, they all can NOT be saved, nor should they be. I wonder about the quality of life for some......

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,374268,00.html

The problem here is so complex it is hard to see which domino started the chain reaction. Slaughter was halted without setting up any other way to deal with unwanted horses. Feed costs soared, unemployment is way up, families displaced, floods and hurricanes and droughts and increasing fuel costs.

What do you do with a horse with a blown suspensery? What do you do with a horse that is chronically ill, wasting due to age or other reasons, or just unmanagable? What do you do with your loved pet when you lose your job, your income is gone and must move to find a new one?

Many areas have no facilities to dispose of dead horses so euthanasia even becomes problematic. If rendering or composting sites had been developed prior to stopping slaughter and slaughter phased out over time perhaps there would not be so many suffering now.

So you save all the race horses, they must displace someone else...the mustangs? Or the government must support them, also more costly every day due to rising fuel and feed costs and more costly to you in the form of taxes. What is the answer?

Reduce breeding, yes will help some in the future but if you are looking for a Miniature are you going to buy a Thoroughbred instead? Not likely. All those thoroughbreds are already here and will be for 20 years. All those mustangs are out there too doing their thing!

This whole thing is a joke. I don't live very far from Suffolk and believe me there are so many ways to get around this. Canter is the rescue group out of Suffolk and several of those horses should have been euthanized instead of placed. Some of these horses are extremely broken down and some have severe mental issues. Don't get me wrong I do a lot of off the track thoroughbreds and most of them are fine but some do need to be euthanized due to the issues they have. Suffolk is a whole nother world. Linda

I don't know about the vets in your areas but around here it is very hard to find a vet who will put down any animal that is not already on deaths door.
default_sad.png
I waited for a week in 100 plus weather for the rendering truck to pick up a pony that had colicked and had to be put down. The neighbors board horses and several have died over the years. If they are lucky the rendering truck will pick them up in 3 days, but usually takes longer. People who think you can just have a vet come out and put a horse down because you say you need or want it done because you can no longer care for it may be in for a rude awakening.
default_wacko.png

There have been at least 3 equine rescues, recently, that have had their horses taken from them for neglect. Someone had better wake up and come up with a real solution soon or a lot of horses are going to suffer way worse than they would have at a slaughter house.

Death is part of life and is sometimes a blessing. With properly run slaughter houses and regulations on horses transportation there would be an alternative to letting them starve in pastures and stalls or turning the loose to fend for themselves and hoping they won't die a slow, painful death.
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back