Lets give our Signifigent others

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
My husband and I both had NY Day off ( we never seem to have time just the 2 off us ) and we were both looking forward to doiing our own things in the A.M. and then going to dinner together and having a nice night out. I of course wanted to spend the whole morning puttering around the barn w/the horses and dogs and had mentioned that I wanted to strip all the stalls but was not looking forward to wrangling out the %$%^#$ stall mats.

Hubby on the other hand, wanted to take a few hours and go for a nice long motorcycle ride ( he hardly ever gets the chance because he works so darn much ) I was happy that he was taking some time for himself.

He woke pretty early yesterday and said he was leaving in order to be back earlier and I just stayed in bed for a while. When I got up and started heading to the barn to feed I saw the horses already had hay and his motorcycle was still parked over there. I thought maybe the bike wouldnt start as it had been sitting for so long. NOPE!! He was just finishing the last stall and had taken out all the mats and had dragged the bags of clean shavings into the stalls.....all I had to do was open the fresh bags once the mats were sprayed and put back.

I just thought it was very thoughtful on his part and really appreciate the things he will do to help me with my horses.

Lets hear about other nice gestures that stand out in your minds....lets hear what makes our hearts go pitter patter when we think about our husbands,wifes, girl/boyfriends!!! Heidi

default_aktion033.gif
Heidi .... hurray for you! It's great to have your partner truly interested and involved, or most importantly one who understands the dedication it takes when one of your loves involves the caring for and enjoyment of your horses.
default_wub.png
(especially if the bike was parked!
default_wink.png
) He's a Keeper!

In my life there was no such thing as my husband doing anything for me, either one of them. :arg! (no wonder I am single now)

You have a keeper there and just thank your lucky stars!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

We both do the horsey thing.

Yesterday was a great day. After our trip to watch my granddaughter and DIL barrel race fell through (sick DIL and lame horse) we just played with our horses all day. I drove my stallion. Susan drove a new gelding. We did some ground work with a mare and a gelding. Then we hitched up the 4 to the Glinkowski and drove for about an hour. We practiced the patterns for a while, took a long drive down the road and then spent some time doing the cones. My offside lead is also my super CDE horse (as well as my champion obstacle driving horse) and has done cones many times as a single. When he realized what we were doing as a team he had a great time.

We were totally exhausted (we're old) but greatly satisfied. Hope the rest of 2009 is as good.

default_smile.png
default_smile.png
default_smile.png

Al B,

Now that's what I call a "dream come true", husband and wife being able to share and enjoy the same hobby to the extent you both do together!!!!!

Ya'll got it goin on over there with the driving events too! Maybe I need to look into moving a little further west, as I have always loved East Texas and it would get me a little closer to those events I really want to participate in...maybe those great "horsemen" are over that way too!
default_rolleyes.gif

BTW ... I enjoy all the pics posted of those events ... I'm sooooo envious!

Oh, you people in Texas and all the really south make me SO depressed. You're out in the warm sunshine driving about and I'm freezing my ---- off just walking out to feed the horses!

Ok, now that I've whined. I'll say that while my hubby took the whole year off last year from helping (our daughter went along with me instead), he has always supported my owning and showing the horses. He built 4 stalls after we moved here and that's only the second time he's ever built anything since his birdhouse in boy scouts! He's learned to operate a tractor and wear jeans. Hey, he was a real CITY boy before we retired!

Heidi you have a keeper for sure!! My hubby wouldn't give up his "pleasures" to help me out....but he's still a pretty good guy! He feeds when I need him to, watches over the horses when I'm at work or showing, and he's very helpful at foaling time! He's even had to deliver one himself.....and of course it had to be a difficult delivery!
default_rolleyes.gif
I also appreciate that he doesn't complain(too much) about how much money I spend on the critters. So, he's a keeper too!
default_smile.png

Al B.......I think it's wonderful that you both are "into" the horses. That would be the "perfect" marriage. Most of us have to deal with the "warts and all" type.
default_wink.png

There's not enough words to say how wonderful Karrel is.

He 100% supports and believes in me. He's proud of me and our horses.

He helps me trim hooves, he's out there every day feeding and helping me water them. He checks on them all the time, talks to them, watches over them.

He takes them to the vet to get coggins or to help deliver the ones I sell or pick up the ones I buy.

My favorite is how he'll forego sleep to help a new born foal learn to nurse. He lays under the mare and helps baby.

He sleeps on the couch to mare watch so the beeper doesn't wake me.

He is THE BEST and is 100% here for me and the horses. He's a full partner in this and I'm the most blessed gal in the world!!

Oh and he's cute too!
default_wub.png

Oh yesterday was a terrible day. ALL my horses got out cause "I" forgot to close the gate. My husband the trooper came out to help me. He is NOT a horsey guy. Does NOT have a clue. I screamed at him, I yelled at him, I cursed, I FELT awful. ALL I wanted was my horses back in safe and sound and it really was MY fault. BUT, he took it. He helped me. Had it been another person they would have told me to shove it and let me get my own darn horses in. He helps me through thick and thin, he goes out every morning early and feeds so I can sleep late, then while I clean the kitchen at night he gives them their hay. During show season he helps me with clipping, bathing, EVERYTHING, and at the shows he helps me get them ready. AND he drives us there safely to and from. When I told him I wanted 2 new boy's he didn't question me, he bought the equipment, put the stalls together and those HORRIBLE mats. I told him the other day I was going to need 2 new show halters and a whole bunch of other stuff, plus a reminder of my GOALS for 2009 and he's like I know I'll get to it as soon as the weather is better. He's put automatic waterer's in for me, he's put a deep sink in for me, he's put warming tape on the waterer's for me, he's hung lights for me, all I have to do is ask. Plus, I've BROUGHT home 3 dogs he didn't know about and he's grown to love each and everyone of them. I just am happy. I've NEVER been happier my entire life. I can't say enough wonderful things about my husband. God has truly blessed me with this wonderful man, my retired Marine, the love of my life. TJ

Last edited:
REO and Taylor Jo ... you got some great ones too!

BTW ... I just came in to take a break and get something to drink ... be out doing the manure clean up in the dry lots ... my air conditioning is running and its 73 degrees and sunny. Needless to say, the horses are not running around in their winter woolies kicking up their heels, but next week, it will probably be back in the 30's in the mornings with highs in the 50's! That's the south for ya! Time to get back to work!
default_saludando.gif

Oh there aren't enough horse treats in the world to thank my sweet husband for putting up with me. We both love our horses and it is our main focus other than our children. He likes to show them and I like to groom them so it works for us. He does all the chores in the winter because I am a big old woosey and hate snow and cold. And I do overfeed but I swear they tell me they are starving…

Most of all he puts up with me and my crazy ways. I love him more than life but most of all I [b]LIKE[/b] him. We have so much fun together still after 30 years of marriage. I don’t feel marriage is hard just takes some work and I think you have to have more love and concern for the other person than you do yourself.

Congrads to all those with someone great in the their life and Good Luck to those who are looking…it ain’t easy out there
default_smile.png

Tammi

Heidi, sounds like you've got a great one there! Give him an extra hug from your admiring forum buddies.

My dad is a real gem with the horses, he's always out there doing something extra and helping Mom and I out. He takes care of Spyderman while I'm away at shows with Kody, moves stall mats, builds things, knocks snow off the roof, helps with medications, does two out of three feedings each day and keeps a weather eye on the boys for any sign of illness or unhappiness and lets us know right away. He's not a horseman but he's learned over the years what to watch for and we're sure lucky to have him! I couldn't ask for a better papa.

The guy I've been involved with on and off for the last ten years is just as great about that stuff and will make a heck of a horse hubby if I don't let him get away. I'm not telling you about all the stuff he does though, he's technically still single and I'm afraid one of you would steal him!
default_laugh.png

Leia

My hubby and I both love the animals, he builds me whatever I request, He just built me a very nice foaling barn, with 6 huge stalls, he puts up with me at foaling time, and helps too!
default_wub.png
I always feel sorry for him because I am a worry wart if something is not right, and I just start freaking out, and he puts up with me and always calms me down, and he has saved quite a few foals, that I could not budge! He helps me get my hay hauled home, and just is there for me for everything, He is my Best friend, and we share everything!
default_wub.png
We like to hunt together, and share alot of the same hobbies(even some I thought I wouldn't like!)...It is really a blessing to have some one in your life that you can share everything with...There is nothing more important to me in this world than my husband and my daughter!
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband LOVES the horses and all of the horse activities, showing, parades you name it. He wasn't much of a horse person before he met me (not that he didn't like them) but now I think he is into it more than myself sometimes.

We love all of the same things so its pretty great. We're best friends.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

My hubby was initially very against me getting a mini. But I finally won him over with the help of Lori who explained that adults could drive them and that there was miniature horse races. Perked his interest...Once we had Peek he had to take pics to work to show all his buddies and tell them about "our" horse. But I must say that every Sunday my hubby takes us the 1 1/2 hour drive to see Peek, patiently waits while I have my lesson and putter around Lori's barn and play with Peek and pet all the others and then drives the 1 1/2 hours home with no complaining. I have to admit he is a great guy. He's even not totally against adding a mini (or two) when I mentioned it.

My hubby likes the horses, but are not his thing (he likes to fish). He and his father built my barn. He does any modification that I ask for. He feeds when I cant. He even had them to take care of when I went to the National Drive for a week. I finally talked him into watching me at the ADT last month, (he has seen me show big horses lots, and Abby in hand), after seeing the big horses in harness he's glad I drive minis, although he did have his eye on a beautiful very small welsh stallion. If I need his help with clipping or bathing or anything really he will try to help and all this while being highly allergic to their hair. After he touches them he has to wash his hands right away or his eyes itch and swell up. But after 20 years of marriage I think I'll keep him. Kathy

I have to jump in here and say how much I appreciate my husband, Dan. We were married in 1996 and he didn't have much past horse experience, but respected my passion for horses. After I was injured in a car accident and had 2 neck surgeries, I gave up my barrel racing hobby and we got into minis by buying one for DJ for Christmas in 2001. At first Dan wanted nothing to do with the little guys, but now they have grown on him. In fact, it seems he is more passionate about them than I am at this point.

Dan does 98% of the training and was very instrumental in our stallion, Alliance Star Wars winning Reserve National Champion in the 30" and under country pleasure driving stakes, by reinforcing all the training done by Ricky Wardlaw. He is calm and cool during foaling season and has delivered all of our foals when he's not on duty. He's always the one to haul the horses to the vet and assist our vet when she's working on our horses.

On top of doing the majority of the horse tasks on the farm, Dan also has an awesome garden every year from which he puts up veggies that he grows. He makes some delicious bread and butter pickles too. Add to that all the stall building, farm projects and house remodeling projects he does for me. He likes to surprise me with improvements he's done around the farm while I'm at work - like building a wash rack and adding gravel to the center aisle of our barn. He's now adding on a stall to our foaling "barn". This spring Dan will most likely be an assistant coach for DJ's little league team, something he does just about every year. He does all this in addition to being a full-time fireman/training officer for our city fire department.

So here's a big "THANK YOU" to my husband, Dan...... for all you do for DJ and me that brightens our lives and makes them better! Love you tons!

dixiebullnationals095.jpg

DanBullSmile.jpg

Even though my sweets and I can argue pretty heatedly when it comes to the animals (I like things done my way
default_wink.png
), Kev's the best. As long as he lets me care for them the way I see fit, all is well LOL. If it weren't for him I wouldn't have them. So...Thanks Sweets!

Latest posts

Back