Lethal white foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so Sorry
default_sad.png

Hang in there..............

I'm so sorry you lost your baby filly!
default_crybaby.gif

{{{{Hugs}}}}

So sorry to hear about that. It was for the best if the foal was suffering, but still hard. Hang in there.

i will add my sincere condolences for your loss and for your mare's loss. bless your heart, i can't imagine how hard this is for you.
default_sad.png

Oh I'm so sorry. I can imagine watching your mare is a tough one. Hang in there-- Thank you for caring for them both.

I am so very sorry this has happened to you.

Be aware that, had she gone to just anyone, and not to a caring, concerned owner like you, the foal would have died in agony, so you have yourself to thank for living up to your responsibilities and doing the right thing.

Pity the worm that bred the mare to the stallion could not have done the same.....

I should just add here that, although in this case you were quite obviously right as there were clear indicators going on, it is NOT possible to diagnose a LWO foal by sight, even when tow LWO+ animals have been bred together...the result can still be a white foal and be normal and perfectly healthy..I only mention this because I would hate for someone to make such an assumption and euthanise a potentially viable foal before any other symptoms arose, thinking they were doing the right thing.

Even a Vet cannot look at a white foal and say it is LWO.

Only a DNA test, and/or waiting as you did to watch for other symptoms, can tell for sure.

Splash White and Dominant White both produce healthy foals that are white at birth, even Sabino, though rarely on it's own, can also do this.

I am so sorry things have turned out this way for you and your mare. But want to say well done for making the right decision and having your little baby put to sleep before she could suffer too much.

I suppose having your vet pm the foal prevented you leaving her with your mare for a while. Most mares do require a period of mourning before they accept that a little life has passed on. Some take longer than others to accept this. I have had mares happy to leave a dead offspring within 24 hours and others that have taken a week before they finally walk away.

Like Jane, my feelings for the person who bred this mare to their stallion are beyond description!!! They knew what they were doing because they warned you that you might have a Lethal foal.

If you dont feel able to go and scream at them just now, please, in the future, make sure any stallion you use on your mare is tested LWO negative - and ask to see the results!

A hug for your mare and for you - you did the right thing, but that doesn't make it any less sad.

Anna

default_no.gif
My heart goes out to you and your mare.I am so sorry for your loss. We will be praying for your mare and you.Keep us posted.My mare who loss a foal this year it took her half a day to be able to leave the foal.

I am soooo sorry to hear this.
default_sad.png
default_no.gif
default_sad.png
I have been checking this thread a lot recently to see how things progressed, and it is such a shame that things turned out the way it did.

Irresponsible breeders such as the one who KNOWINGLY bred two LWO+ parents together just make my skin crawl!!! But you did the right thing, I hope your mare's alright. After my girl lost her colt, she was lonely until I bought another mare to put with her. Maybe a companion would help. Hugs to you both.

Dear BuckAppy:

We send our deep sympathies for the ordeal you, your family, and your little mare have just gone through. It is always painful to lose a little one and most especially when a knowledgeable breeder could have avoided creating this whole situation.

You are a most loving and kind owner to have helped your newborn foal over the rainbow bridge. Your vigilance and responsiveness helped your foal to avoid a truly agonizing death. Bless you for your courage . . . .

Lee & Cory

So sorry to read this update..... My thoughts are with you and your mare.
default_sad.png

I'm sorry it turned out that your foal was lethal white. Such a shame--for the foal, for you, and for the mare.

I'm afraid that I would have to call--or write--and chew out the person who chose to do that breeding, but I don't expect it would have any effect on them. The person was obviously aware of what could happen--since you were warned about the possibility of the foal being lethal white--and quite obviously that person didn't care, since he/she chose to do that breeding anyway.

I know there have been some that do that cross, LWO+ to LWO+, and they claim they only get a lethal foal 10% of the time....like that justifies the practice! To me even 10% loss is unacceptable, and the fact is, each foal from that cross has a 25% chance of being lethal white, even if it's generally "only" 10% that actually are homozygous for LWO. I've never understood why these people think it's necessary to do that cross. I know one person on here on time said that they do it that way because if you breed a LWO+ to LWO- there is a 25% chance the foal will be a solid. I guess those people figure that 25% chance of dead is better than 25% chance of solid colored???
default_no.gif

I am sorry for your loss and for what you are going through. Losing a foal is very hard to take even when you know it is for the best. Kudos to you for being responsible for your minis.. Hang in there and take care...

I just read this thread from beginning to end...I am so very sorry for the sad outcome of the loss of your beautiful filly. This is so sad.
default_sad.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back