Lethal White Colt.........NOT

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this only happens in Paints, not pintos, not minis, not ponies
Oh, how I wish this was true, but it simply isn't! LWO exists in virtually every breed of horse! There are many, many documented LWO horses in Pintos, Miniatures, Shetlands, QH, Paints and others. With the advent of the DNA test using mane/tail hair, every breeder breeding pintos (or even those not) are encouraged to test all breeding pairs so the heartbreak of a LWO+ foal doesn't happen.

It takes one LWO parent to produce the stunning frame overo pattern, but breeding two LWO horses together is simply playing Russian roulette!

Someone asked to see the sire, here he is! This is Bear Branch Painted Feather (yes I have permission)! (it's the best pic I could find at the moment)

Thanks for all your explanations! I always thought that if you had a pure white foal it was absolutely lethal! Glad I asked!!

Tammy

364047733.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As many others have already pointed out......a pure white foal that is NOT a Lethal White is not all that uncommon.

It also doesn't mean that they will always be a high color producer. You can get all white foals from simply being a Max White Sabino or a Max White Splash. They may only carry Sabino or Splash in those cases, and that is what they will throw.

I once had a Max White Sabino mare who was pure white with dark eyes. She tested homozygous for Sabino, homozygous for Black, and homozygous for Silver. She was negative for every other color or pattern. So the only foals she could produce were Silver Dapple Black Sabinos, or Silver Bay Sabinos (if bred to a horse carrying agoute). She usually threw foals with solid bodies and a blaze & socks.

Indeed LWO doesn't restrict to a breed it can happen in any breed or cross-breed.

It is a color pattern not a breed-thing.

And BTW Lethal whites mostly have alot of white, hence the name, but they CAN have color too!

Not sure why but Im not able to see the foal pics or the sire pics!!! Would love to see
default_wub.png
Hmmmm, maybe try signing off and then trying again, sometimes my computer does that! If that doesn't work, PM me and I'll send you the pics!
default_smile.png

Tammy

Bear Branch Painted Feather's sire ( Stonehenge Painted Feather) is a Rowdy Grandson on his dams side. He has thrown some amazing colours over the years, and Bear Branch have a son for sale at the moment who is completely white except for a tiny medicine hat. One of the reasons that we invested so heavily in the Bear Branch stock over here. We have two Painted Feather daughters due to foal to a silver appy Del's Cowboy grandson this week. Anyone want to hazard a guess on those colours lol
default_wacko.png

Questions for those of you who really study this (I do not)--

Wouldn't the colt posted about likely have splash, because of the blue eyes?

And- what is a PURE white horse with dark skin and fully dark eyes likely to be, genetically? I grew up around friends whose dad, a former world champ bronc rider, then trick rider, owned THREE full siblings (his single trick horse, a mare, and his Roman riding pair, geldings)-- half-Arabians , all of whom were pure white with dark eyes and dark skin--NOT cremellos, NOT perlinos, NO color. Later, these same folks bought a QH mare who was the same--pure white w/ dark eyes and dark skin. What do the parents need to be to produce this? I know that the QH(not registered, because of AQHA 'policy' in those days....) was a daughter of WADDY JOE, who was a son of LITTLE JOE THE WRANGLER, both fully registered QHs--and both 'solid' bays, appearance-wise. Never knew anything about the parentage of the half-Arabians.

Margo

And- what is a PURE white horse with dark skin and fully dark eyes likely to be, genetically? I grew up around friends whose dad, a former world champ bronc rider, then trick rider, owned THREE full siblings (his single trick horse, a mare, and his Roman riding pair, geldings)-- half-Arabians , all of whom were pure white with dark eyes and dark skin--NOT cremellos, NOT perlinos, NO color. Later, these same folks bought a QH mare who was the same--pure white w/ dark eyes and dark skin. What do the parents need to be to produce this? I know that the QH(not registered, because of AQHA 'policy' in those days....) was a daughter of WADDY JOE, who was a son of LITTLE JOE THE WRANGLER, both fully registered QHs--and both 'solid' bays, appearance-wise. Never knew anything about the parentage of the half-Arabians.

Margo
Sabino does occur in Arabians, so perhaps they were Max white Sabinos. They also could have been gray, gray Arabians are often solid white with dark skin and eyes (and many go gray very quickly). I don't know if max white sabinos have to be pink skinned or not, and they don't necessarily have blue eyes. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say.

I just had to post these new pics of Lightning!!!! I think he is gorgeous!!!!
default_wub.png
Congrats Judy and Larry!

Tammy

default_new_shocked.gif
wow

what a nice looking colt.

what color are his parents? I would love to see his parents.

he is so cute.
default_wub.png
I better he could throw you nice colored foals

Margo
Sabino does occur in Arabians, so perhaps they were Max white Sabinos. They also could have been gray, gray Arabians are often solid white with dark skin and eyes (and many go gray very quickly). I don't know if max white sabinos have to be pink skinned or not, and they don't necessarily have blue eyes. It'll be interesting to see what others have to say.
A pure white horse with DARK skin, could not be a Max White Sabino....as they will always be pink-skinned. A White horse that has dark skin, has to be a horse that started out some color, and then turned gray. Gray is a very common color in Arabians.
default_wink.png

default_new_shocked.gif
wowwhat a nice looking colt.

what color are his parents? I would love to see his parents.

he is so cute.
default_wub.png
I better he could throw you nice colored foals
His parents are posted, can you see them or are you still having trouble?

Tammy

Last edited by a moderator:
default_new_shocked.gif
wow

i love his sire? i have always like the bear branch paint horses.

i couldn't see the dam photo.

love the sire.they can send me that nice colt
default_laugh.png

Could he be an albino? If anyone has ever seen the old old movie Thunderhead: Son of Flicka, there is a wild stallion that looks exactly like Lightning and they call him The Albino.

Back