lethal foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If a breeder accidentally did this breeding there would be no backlash.

But I will never see how this was a good decision to breed these 2, especially with the knowledge the breeder had.

The only ones who had no choice were the animals.

The foal paid the ultimate price.

I just simply don't get why any person thinks they have the right to take that chance on a living, breathing animal.

But we all make mistakes and maybe this was one too??

I certainly don't know all the details or the people involved but the outcome is awful.

The positive thing is I am sure alot of newbies have learned a valuable lesson.

Testing is available! Don't take risks on animals lives.

This thread has been a real eye-opener to me. I had more or less assumed that if a genetic test was available for a genetic defect, that breeders would use the test and the information to avoid the defect. It worked for HYPP in Quarter horses and Paints and I am sure there are other examples. Now I am led to wonder how effective a test for dwarfism will be, when that is eventually developed.

Tag a long and lil hoofbeats, thank you for your opinion but I will stand by what I said. It makes me SICK to think someone would intetionally breed these 2 horses and it makes me ever more sick to think there are other people that think it is fine to do. WOW is right, I am so glad to see who thinks this is o.k. to do as I am sure people will stear clear of them. I will also add that if the breeder can not handle others opinion on what she did/does then she should have never posted. Going to brush my teeth again.

Ok, here is my opinion. I have heard in the past that large breeding farms expect to or do (cant remember which) lose 50% of their foals. I was shocked at that! 50% is ALOT! So even though I dont agree with breeding positive to positive, the out come is 25%, that is less than big breeding farms get or expect.

Next opinion, if you are taking the chance to breed these two because you think they'll make a superb foal, why did you sell that mare and give up the foal? Thats what I dont understand. If you were willing to take that risk of getting the letal white foal, why on earth didnt you keep the mare until said foal was born? Why was the mare even up for sale? If that was the reason you bred this mare to this stallion, it makes sense that you would keep the mare until foaling to keep the foal you were trying to get.

I dont think we should judge people, condemn them for their actions and call them names. State your opposition like a mature adult and go on from there. What does it do to call people names on a public forum but make youself look like an immature person.

I dont agree with what the breeder did either, but I am not going to make myself look like an idiot by calling her names. If you dont agree, move on, dont read this thread. I am also not trying to put anyone down and call them names for their opinions.

Marsha

I wanted to buy this beautiful mare and contacted the breeder.

My experience was the same as Tina's, the breeder was up front about the breeding and the possibilities of a LWO foal.

In my expereince with other breeders that do this practice they are often not as up front.

She offered me the choice of her foaling out the foal and her taking the risk of a LWO foal, so that I would not have to deal with that. I am sure that she offered the same to Tina. I see on her website that other buyers choose to have her do just that. She was not passing the buck of her breeding decision to anyone else.

This breeder is having to sell many of her beloved horses because of her own personal situation. I believe she would wish things would have been different and she could have kept the horses she had worked so hard to acquire, but she was not able to do that. She bred them with the belief she would be foaling them out herself. Things changed and she could not keep all the horses she had bred.

Life throws us a curve ball occaisionally and we have to catch it or let it fly by. This is a gorgeous mare and under normal conditions she would never have sold her.

There are several very well known farms that are members of this forum that choose to increase their chances of a frame foal by breeding LWO to LWO.

Do they have LWO foals ? You bet they do.

I have seen these farms offer mares in foal offered for sale, some at very high prices considering the risk of a LWO foal.

I choose to test my horses and their offspring. I make sure that even (especially ?) the minimal white LWOs are explained to my clients and that they have the test results. I choose to not breed LWO to LWO. That is my choice. I try to educate my buyers as to what would happen if they do breed two LWO horses and recommend that they not do that. We often have clients that want to buy a mare and a stallion, or colt and a filly and both are LWO. It takes time to explain genetics. Novices often do not understand that a minimally marked horse that is LWO carries the same gene as a maximum marked horse.

I do believe this breeder explained the risks and the buyer choose to take the risk.

I am sorry for the outcome. But do believe that the breeder acted in a professional manner during the sale.

Back