Let this be a lesson

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thank You Clara for posting about Angel. I have not left the baby at all until just a few minutes ago.

Angel fought hard and we did too but there was nothing that could be done.

The vet said that when they operated on her, she had an abcess in her liver and her liver was completely gone. He said the only thing that he was aware of that could cause this was either extreme obesity or an extreme parasite load at some point in her life and it could have been years earlier.

I certainly hope that nobody or their beloved animals ever have to go through this.

She left us with a beautiful 5 week old filly that so far is doing okay. She will not take any milk replacer that we can find nor will she take goat's milk but she is eating Equine Jr. and drinking and seems to be okay so far.

Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts, it means a lot. Both of us are just broken hearted.

Mary

Mary I am so very sorry you lost your beloved Angel. However a word of caution- however well the foal appears to be doing, she must be got onto replacement milk, her stomach is not yet mature enough to digest just feed. Y+Try putting the milk replacer in her feed and see if she will take it that way. Also, make sure she is drinking plenty ( I know you know these things, but I also know from experience you may not actually be thinking of them at this point in time. My thoughts go out to you, I do hope the foal continues fine.

no.gif
no.gif
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
We are sooo sorry for your little angel and you too. She will always be only just a thought away...Theresa & art

Prayers for your little 5 week old too!! {{{{HUGS}}}}

((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))) and prayers for you all.

Have you tried putting the milk in a bucket. We had an orphan 4 week old foal and she took to the bucket very well.

Ginny StP

I am so sorry. It has to be heartbreaking to lose the mare & so sad to see the foal without its mom at such a young & tender age... Sending best wishes that your foal will continue to do well & thrive. Bless you & the foal.

Mary,

I am so sorry that you lost your beloved Angel. It is so heartbreaking!

I know you have many very special memories of your special girl! I'm glad you have her filly to carry on her legacy, this was her gift to you.

Hugs and prayers for you and Angel's little filly

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how heartbroken you feel

As others have said try the milk replacer in a bucket as she is drinking now and that might be easier or pellets mixed in with her feed.

I, too, am sorry that Angel had to leave. I know how hard you tried for her.

Please accept my condolences as well as my thanks that you shared the information from what caused her problems.

It is a tough job to keep these little ones on the thinner side rather than fatter, but healthier for them in the long run. Also not so bad to keep them wormed regularly!

Liz M.

(((HUGGS))) and prayers for you. I know you will do everything possible for Angel's little filly, she has left you a precious little baby and knew she wuold be in the best of care with you to love her. This is so sad when something like this happens. Corinne

I'm so so sorry for your loss! I hope that your little baby does well, I'm sure she will! Good luck, I'm sending prayers and hugs to you!

Hey Mary, sorry about Angel. Last year I had a 5 week old orphan who wouldn't eat milk replacer and by a fluke I was petting my old girl and the filly snuck around and got a good belly full. The mare had a filly but we worked out an agreement that if I fed her grain she would eat and let the baby nurse. I went out many times and fed a little grain and the filly nursed and I kept alfalfa pretty much free feed and the fillies both got equine junior. It was obvious that the orphan wasn't quite digesting everything well and started to get soft bones and got a little crooked but she is fine now and legs are ok.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
sad.gif
Rest in Peace, Angel.

Oh Mary I'm so sorry for your loss and please when you feel like it maybe you can share more what your vet said since they at first told you it was WNV..

Peace be with you both and God bless her little soul..

Mary I am just so sad you lost your girl. I can hardly still believe it. I know how sad and heartbroken you are. I know you are working hard trying to keep up now and save your baby. I helped my friend raise a foal that lost her mother. We put the milk in a little wooden bowl and made a mush out of it. We kept experimenting with all different ways of things to put in it until she decided to start lapping it up like a doggy. I know how hard this is at first, but once she "gets it" she's going to be hollering for you to bring more every 5 minutes. You can do it Mary. We are all here to support and encourage you during this very sad time.

Mary,

I'm very sorry to hear about Angel. I know how you feel..... On July 25th of this year, I lost my 22 year old mare due to a fatty tumor that wrapped around her large intestine and she too had a 5 week old filly on her side. Broke my heart !!! I brought GiGi home and I found a barn buddy for her and she did great for the first week. She wouldn't take any of the milk replacer's either. Since than she has been dealing with sevre Ulcers. I finally found Gastro-Guard and she is doing better. I would highly recommend using a preventative Ulcer med like ( Gastro-Guard ). It is expensive but well worth it. You might consider consulting with vet about it. I wish you and your filly the very best !!!!!

Sincerely, Debby

I am so sorry for your loss. It is such a shame to have a special horse die.
no.gif
But it is an important less to us all to watch our horses weight as well as maintain a good worming program.

Blessings to you Mary. Losing a beloved mare is rougher than anyone can imagine, I know.

Now that you have to focus on her little girl --- Have you tried slipping some Foal Lac Pellets into her Equine Junior? She is so young, still, that she really does need that milk product in her.

All the best wishes,

MA

Mary, please accept my condolences for your loss...I am so, so sorry to read that you lost Angel...just heartbreaking. Please know that there are so many people here who care and are here to provide support.

Best,

Liz R.

Mary,

I am so very very sorry. Thank you for sharing with us what Angel taught you with her passing. Knowing that information most likely will save someone else's horse.

Prayers for your baby as well. Maybe try mixing some of the milk replacer pellets with her normal food and see if you can get her started on them that way?

Again, so very sorry. (((Hugs)))

Latest posts

Back