Lessons with minis - do they exist?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLB32

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

First I wanted to say hello and thank you for the add. I have spent many hours on this forum but have just recently become a member. What a wealth of information here!

I'm looking for something that I'm not sure exists. If it does, I can't find it in our area. I used to ride off and on, but with the inconsistent life we live (husband is military), have never owned my own horse and didn't normally ride more than once or twice a week. Had a baby, was away from horses for a while and would really love to get involved again. However, I have learned from lessons, that riding horses is just now how I enjoy being around them, and as much as I love horses, it was causing me more anxiety than anything else. I met a few minis and fell in love! I felt safer around them, handling them, and watched a lady at the barn I rode at, ground drive her mini and I thought that was great.

I would really love to take lessons with a mini, learn how to drive and be able to spend time around horses again. For the above reasons, owning is just not realistic right now until we settle in one place for more than 18-24 months. Of course it is easy to find a place to ride, but I can't find anyone (we are in northern Kansas City) or anywhere that I can take lessons with minis.

I would greatly appreciate any leads, points of contact or advice. I know it might be a unique situation but I can't be the only one :)

And thanks again for the add!

Do you know I was literally thinking today about setting something like this up. My minis are very good at working with nervous people and I think they would enjoy the attention. Shame you live too far from me!

Do you know I was literally thinking today about setting something like this up. My minis are very good at working with nervous people and I think they would enjoy the attention. Shame you live too far from me!
Gosh such a bummer! I really wish I were closer. I know that riding is of course, extremely popular. I can go take lessons on a school horse, lease one if I wanted and even show, but it seems like there just isn't the same opportunities with miniatures to do those things, which is a shame because I think something like that could do really well. There's a really active Carriage Driving Society here in KC but I can't seem to find anyone who offers lessons, or driving clinics, or anything.

Check out the breeder's links from the main website, perhaps someone in your area offers something like this or would be willing to consider some like this (or knows of someone): http://www.lilbeginnings.com/breeders/

I know there is a gal on the group that does work with kids and minis, but don't know where she is from, hopefully she'll see your post and maybe she can point you in the right direction or give you tips on how to find what you are looking for.

there is a barn a bit north of me. They teach you how to drive your mini and do lessons with there own. But sadly I'm a bit far from you. Northern Illinois.

If you talk to local breeders, and ask people at local fairs. You would be sure to find something. Or someone that has a couple of minis that need to be worked. They may be willing to train you, and then allow you to exercise there minis.
default_smile.png

Great ideas, thank you all. I wish we were closer to that barn, lkblazin. Nice to hear that they do exist, though.

Perhaps you can contact the American Driving Society and make contact with someone in your area. I am sure there are miniature drivers around you. http://www.americandrivingsociety.org/

Or perhaps there is a therapy worker near you who would welcome some volunteer time from you. Also, check with the local 4H and see if their clubs have some horse classes.

Another idea is look for local horse shows. Many of them offer mini classes. You may not find someone that offers lessons but you find a new friend that could point you towards someone that does give lessons. I'd know where to send you if you were in either western NC or south FLA.

Good Luck!

We met someone at a local show that now works for us and shows our minis too. We are thinking about expanding our 4-H "Open Barns" (that have very poor turnout) to interested adults. I want to keep my amateur status so don't plan to charge.

So...there are no breeders listed in Kansas and everyone in Missouri is at least 2 hours away :-( How can that be?! We are just north of Kansas City and I would have thought there was SOMETHING around! On to the American Driving Society.

I give lessons with miniatures, but I live in South East Minnesota.
default_sad.png
I teach anything you are willing to learn grooming, training, massage, feeding, driving, basic care etc.
Can you move to Kansas?!? No but really, that is exactly what I am looking for.

keep looking! I actually had many mini owners contact me when they started seeing me out driving my shetland ponies - after I'd quit teaching due to insurance issues.

If you were closer, I'd offer to take you on - lessons for work exchange! We have mares foaling, in the future will be breeding again, youngstock to groom/work, ground driving, driving to farm implements, driving to carts/wagons and children (my granddaughters) riding...

Latest posts

Back