Legal papers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather Frey

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been given four mini horses, they did not come with papers. Three of them their owner died and his daughter gave them to me, and one of them, he was given to me by a girl who I am not sure I can find. Is there a way I can get them legally papered with me as the owner? I only have contact with the girl who gave me the three.

Thank you

You might have your vet microchip them. Then you would begin a paper trail. You could get a notarized letter from the daughter who gave you the three. As far as the other one, if you can't find her, maybe she can't find you either. Chances are it will never be a concern, but establishing yourself with a vet, and farrier will begin a record of care in case of a future challenge. The vet comes to you, and sees where the horses reside. The farrier as well. Keep receipts of any purchase you make for the horses, this will also show a pattern of ownership. If they were given to you it is unlikely the previous owner would want to pay you for all the care,cost, and board in any court case. You could site abandonment of property as well. These are just worst case scenarios I am proposing, likely there will never be an issue, but I would try to get that notarized letter. That would get three out of the way. Good luck, and welcome to the forum! I hope this was helpful.

Contact AMHA about a constructive way to do this.
Did you ask the girl if she has the papers? Could she look through her dad's papers to perhaps find them? I got a horse like this once. I verified with AMHA about the owner, then was asked to have the owner send me a letter verifying the sale of the horse. AMHA asked for pictures of the horse to verify it was the same horse.
There should be a hopeful outcome.

Are you looking for papers proving your ownership or registration papers? Proof that you own them would just be any sort of sale slip or even an email trail would help. You probably wouldn't ever need it. For registration papers first the horses would need to be registered. If they are then you need registered names(you might be able to do it with the owners name) and to contact the registry. If they are not registered then you can try to register them. You can hardship through AMHA I believe if they meet the size requirements. If not you can try the color registries. That depends on the color of the horses...it's been a while but I'm pretty sure you can try for pinto, buckskin, palomino, or champagne if they are.

I bought my mare before I knew very much and was told minis didn’t need a brand inspection. I now know this is wrong, but too late now. Doing a Coggins test yearly is proof of ownership. I also microchipped and registered her through the Equine Protection Registry. There is a nice printable certificate with an id number on it that a picture can be added to. The picture is key here. It makes it easy to link the chip to that particular horse. Then you can have the brand inspector out and do a stray hold for 30 days on your property. After the 30 days you can get a brand inspection in your name and there you have it. A nice paper trail.

Latest posts

Back