Legal Calming supplements for AMHR shows?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disneyhorse

Reaction score
What does everyone use for calming supplements that are legal on AMHR grounds? That actually work?

Thanks,

Andrea

Andrea,

We have great success with DAC Calm B. You pretty much have to feed it all season to keep it at a theraputic dose, but it is legal. I spoke to the DAC rep at QH Congress and a DAC rep at our local tack store. I will get the container and list ingredients for you.

Ellen

Being that your in CA I think you need to worry about what the state considers legal as well as AMHR although seeing AMHR/ASPC have no drug testing at this point and time I guess the term "legal" is used pretty loosely

Two that have worked well for one of my horse's is "Command Serene" and "Smart Pack calming" http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass...uctClassid=4501.

Right now I am just using the smart pack product. It does work ever well to take the edge off high strung horses. It is fed twice a day and can take up to a couple of weeks to start seeing the best results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used Rescue Remedy on my Arab when he first started being anxious at shows and it did seem to help him keep it under control for awhile. Eventually it got to be too much for him and we realized it was a full-blown PTSD thing, but the product definitely worked.

Leia

Hi Andrea

I would check out the products sold by Equi-Natural, Inc. I used Hormonise on my show mare, Rose, and the results were unbelievable - better than Regumate, etc - they have several different all natural products and I really sweat by them.

If you are showing a gelding you might also check with your vet about the use of Regumate for him - I know, seems weird, but I have heard that some of the trainers use this on unruly boys - of course, it would probably really screw up a stallion, so I wouldn't go there. Personally, the use of Regemate for mares (altho it has been used for years) is not something I would ever go back to - I would go with Hormonise instead - my show mare was pretty screwed up from the Regumate protocol.

Good luck - of course, check with the State Vet to make sure that any product you use is OK - it varies state to state.

Stacy

Stacy, do you have a website for Equi-Natural? I'd be interested in trying it - I hate dealing with Regumate but have a mare who needs it...or something that works.

I bought something called Tranquility Oil last year at a show - small vial of essential oils, put just a couple of drops on the nostril and I think also the poll. I've just tried it at home on a fussy stallion I was clipping and it sure calmed him down. Don't know that the duration would be enough for a show. It's made by Cheval, same company that makes Black As Knight.

Jan

Andrea..

Had a half crazed pony this summer with major brain farts at times. I started him on Cavalor Zen and wow does it work great. It is european and al FEI approved, which has a lot tighter drug rules than any state or breed association. They have tons of great great products and although maybe a little pricier than your OTC (over the counter) products I have had major success with the Zen and joint supplements and vitamins. try google cavalor. I can get it here really easy. I have tried all sorts and it is BY far the best.

Kim

Hi Jan

I think it is just equi-naturalinc.com but if that doesn't work just Google "Equine Hormonise" and it is one of the first to pop up - it is made in England, and it is great.

Good luck with your mare - nothing worse than a show mare with PMS! How is your mare with the dislocated hip doing these days?

Stac

one of my mares was so high strung that when her previous owner would move her from her stall to an outside run she would get diarrhea. I picked her up and took her 150 miles in the trailer and Put her right in with the gang. She now goes to shows and driving and doesn't have a problem. She does however have a problem with just standing still. I think halter training will help with that.

WOW!
default_new_shocked.gif

I find it hard to beleive that AMHR/ASPC don't do drug testing.
default_no.gif

I don't think there is even a small local fair around here where it isn't a requirement.

Hi Sue,

The ASPC/AMHR can do random drug testing if needed. There was talk of it at convention this past November and I do know there is a committee looking into it further. It's always been in the rulebook...2008 ASPC/AMHR rulebook...page 57...Part 13-Drugs.

Karen

Karen I would have to wonder about that -they can have it in the rule book that random tests can happen but until they come up with a procedure, amount of drugs allowable in the horse, whether someone can refuse blood and do urine, come up with a chain of who is responsible for the sample from the time it is drawn and polices while being drawn I just do not see how they can do any form of testing and have any sort of outcome or punishment be legal?

That said some states can do drug testing at every or any breed show held in that state no matter what the registry policies are.

I do hope they come up with some sort of plan I know there was talk of implementing something in MO as well as in FL but nothing as of yet.

random tests can happen but until they come up with a procedure, amount of drugs allowable in the horse, whether someone can refuse blood and do urine, come up with a chain of who is responsible for the sample from the time it is drawn and polices while being drawn I just do not see how they can do any form of testing and have any sort of outcome or punishment be legal?
Well, it certainly must be done...and legally...when you think of the MANY horses, owners and trainers who have been banned because of failure to pass the drug testing in most, if not all breeds and diciplines.

As far as not allowing blood or urine to be drawn...that is not an issue. At any show that random drug testing might be required, everyone pays a fee up-front, with your entry fees...if you don't pay it, you simply are not allowed to show...and you and your horse(s) stay home.

random tests can happen but until they come up with a procedure, amount of drugs allowable in the horse, whether someone can refuse blood and do urine, come up with a chain of who is responsible for the sample from the time it is drawn and polices while being drawn I just do not see how they can do any form of testing and have any sort of outcome or punishment be legal?
Well, it certainly must be done...and legally...when you think of the MANY horses, owners and trainers who have been banned because of failure to pass the drug testing in most, if not all breeds and diciplines.

As far as not allowing blood or urine to be drawn...that is not an issue. At any show that random drug testing might be required, everyone pays a fee up-front, with your entry fees...if you don't pay it, you simply are not allowed to show...and you and your horse(s) stay home.
Sue C.... I think Lisa was not saying refusing blood AND urine, she was saying if the exhibitor refused blood in favor of doing a urine test INSTEAD. I know I would prefer someone to sit for a couple of hours waiting for my horse to pee, versus sticking him with a needle and drawing blood (and thus risking infection, abscess, ect.)

Andrea

The AMHR rule book says "any use of [SIZE=10pt]stimulants, depressants, or any drug[/SIZE]

affecting the showing of a horse in halter or performance is strictly forbidden. Exception:
Therapeutic medication necessary for treatment of an
illness or injury."

With that being said wouldnt calming agents be banned? I like to use calm and cool on my sensitive horses that i'm transporting to keep from getting diarreah, but that makes them somewhat sleepy so isnt that a depressant?

I am not looking for any DRUG that will calm a horse... just some simple supplements.

I do show in California so that adds to some of the questions I guess.

I have used Vitamin B-1 for a hackney I had, it helped a little bit. However, from what I can see, California bans "Excessive amounts of Thiamine used to mask other drugs" of which I think vitamin B-1 is also called Thiamine but what exactly is large amounts?

I'm not looking to tranquilize or sedate a horse, just take the edge off to reduce stress... but the event does not seem to mention anything about drug testing so maybe it doesn't matter.

I know there are some herbal items, don't even know if they work or I should bother, but thought I'd ask.

Andrea

Again I know it is in the rule book however if there is no current policy in place (and there is not) about drug testing for the regsitry then how can any steward ensure procedure is met (there is not a procedure) and how can any punishment then be handed out?

This has been something that has been lacking for a long time and again it was discussed to look into in MO at Convention and then this year in FL it was still being looked into.

Until the registry has a procedure in place there is no way for anyone to enforce this rule no different then enforcing the shoe weight rule.

Sue I know you have to allow one or the other however many breeds allow you to choose. Ex...You do not hve to submit to a blood test however you do have to submit to a urine test which means the procedure is you must allow the tester access to the horse at all times once horse has been randomly picked until such time as it goes pee. This means the tester must follow you and horse wherever you go from stall to arena to class and everywhere in between.

I have been a tester and spent a couple hours with horses fearing that it would go in a line up and I would have to run out there with my stick (so embarassing) thankfully that never happened most waited until back at the stall or ringside lol

just a FYI Many people chose urine over blood for many different reasons.

Latest posts

Back