Leg Wound Progress

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tab

Reaction score
Some of you have read the my testimony of my dermoid tumor and cancer scare and the wonderful healing I have experienced. A little less than a month after my surgery, Joe, my senior stallion, lacerated his leg in two places pretty badly. Sometimes I have a problem believing all that has happened in the last few months. I don't think my brain has caught up, but as the movie quote says, "keep moving forward!"

This was a nasty cut, In fact, in all my years with horses I have only had one similar experience with a big horse and a lacerated fetlock. This one with Joe was worse, and because of the location, at the knee, it couldn't be stitched. I didn't witness the accident but I do believe he was showing off for his mares and got the leg caught and torn in some old wire fence.

Joe has free access to my back yard so I can just look out and keep tabs (haha) on my horses. He looked mopey the day before but was not favoring the leg. The wound must have been day old when I saw it. The leg was so swollen he would not put weight on it. His eyes were goopy and his head drooped, so he must have been fighting an infection already. It was good that my husband and I caught it when we did.

This collage chronicles Joe's progress. He was given the tetanus injection immediately and was on a 10-day regimen of antibiotics. I used EMT gel (a sort of collagen bandage), hosed and wrapped the leg daily. Most importantly some of my friends were praying for him and I believe that makes all the difference!

I think that EMT gel is great stuff. First time I used it and I'm sold! Here is his pictorial progress. The last two pictures were taken yesterday. It has been almost 3 weeks.

joelegprogress.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, I appreciate it. Very blessed he is doing so much better and I hope that others have the same results with the EMT gel!

Latest posts

Back