Left, Right (Right?)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
NO, it's not a political post... with the topic title and the poster, you might have expected it to be
default_biggrin.png

Do any of you have trouble keeping left and right (the directions) straight? I always have. I know the difference between left and right, of course, but when I'm trying to give directions to somone, I have to concentrate and think and often will catch myself saying right when I mean left, or vice versa (so never take driving directions from me!). All my life... My mom also has trouble but I don't think as much as I do. Literally, anytime I'm about to say "right" or "left" in my mind, I think "you read left to right" in order to help myself get it out correctly.

I think I saw on Oprah years ago (and for me, it would be YEARS ago... she became boooooring to me years prior to becoming annooooying to me) that this isn't that uncommon in women??? At this point, I don't think there's any help for me, but am curious if others have this issue.

My sense of direction isn't stellar, but I can usually find my way to where I need to get either in large places or generally on the road, but to verbally convey directions -- yeah, do not take my word for anything in that department!

What about you folks? Left, right... or was that right, left?
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also one that has to think about it and I get them mixed up a lot (sigh). I am, however, excellent with my sense of direction! I always seem to know where my N,E,S, and W are (my boyfriend jokes that it's the native american in me) . That seems to help little when giving directions
default_smile.png

If I don't think about it I have a great sense of direction and can walk thro unfirmiliar property and always know how to get home. Ask me to tell YOU how to get home and we'll both be lost lol. As far as left and right go I am very challenged. Here's an example to illustrate how bad it is.

Years ago I was obedience training one of my dogs, at the end of 6 months of classes we were put thro a course to earn our dogs 'diploma' if your dog didn't score at a certain level they could not claim to have passed the course. Anyway I had a doberman at the time who was very sharp and really had his training down so I was very confidant he would have no trouble with the course. We did great, off leash heel was near perfect and he got bonus marks when the judge told me "left turn" and I turned right, right into a rope fence, tripped and fell flat on my face in front of the entire audience. The dog never missed a beat, turned sharply, and promptly sat on the rope right where he felt I had stopped. Of course everyone laughed and I was beat red for the rest of the test. Judges made a comment at the bottom of my score card about the handler needing more training etc etc.
default_whistling.gif
So when someone tells me right or left I always give myself a moment to be sure I am turning the correct way. We all have our challenges lol, this is one of mine.

Probably I have guardian angels to give credit to. I have a pretty good sense of left and right, N, S, E, and W. My great grandad had a lot of Indian genes and could glance up at the sun and tell you what time it is. Maybe that helps me as well.But when I used to hike I would sometimes get off the trail in my pursuit of whatever caught my attention but I could usually check out the sun and figure out where I needed to head. My major problem is reading a map. I have to flip it to the direction I am headed in or otherwise I cannot read it.
default_wacko.png
Possibly I could be geographically dislectic.I do have a habit of reading magazines from back to front.

I have no sense of direction. When we first moved to the Atlanta area....I cried when I saw a map of Atlanta as everything was opposite in my head as to where things really were.

I would be lost a lot more if I every lost my GPS. And I must admit, I get lost a lot with it.

To me left and right are a lot easier than north, south, east, or west.

I have a very good sense of direction......good thing or I wouldnt be very good at my profession....lol. When I give directions to someone, I not only tell them right/left but I also give them their compass direction....ex: turn right, you will be heading eastbound...lol.

I have no problem with left or right, but my daughter and hubby can go into a big parking lot and

forget which way they came in tee hee.

But now NSEW I have a problem when people tell me they are on the north side of the road etc.

I like directions with right or left..

lol, with me if I say right I MEAN right, but if I say Left you better ask me if I'm sure cause its anybodies guess if thats what I really mean.

^ That is a good tactic!

I have no issues with right and left - or north, east, south, or west... but my sister
default_wacko.png
... yikes. She has no sense of direction (or right or left) whatsoever... so it is a good thing she decided to never drive. Not that she did not try... but it was a disaster in the making.

It's crazy! I have the tricks (telling myself you read left to right, knowing i write with my right hand, my wedding rings on my left hand, horses walk to the right of me, mount on the right...) but it is NEVER automatic for me to know right / left when describing where to turn, even as I'm in the car trying to help the driver navigate (never get me to be your co-pilot). Usually, if I try to improve my ability at something, like anyone else, I get better with effort. Not with this right / left thing! I've been struggling with it since I was in 1st grade
default_biggrin.png

It's crazy! I have the tricks (telling myself you read left to right, knowing i write with my right hand, my wedding rings on my left hand, horses walk to the right of me, mount on the right...) but it is NEVER automatic for me to know right / left when describing where to turn, even as I'm in the car trying to help the driver navigate (never get me to be your co-pilot). Usually, if I try to improve my ability at something, like anyone else, I get better with effort. Not with this right / left thing! I've been struggling with it since I was in 1st grade
default_biggrin.png
Um, Jill... You mount from the left.
default_whistling.gif

LOL! SEE!!! But i actually meant the horse to my right (and me to the horse's left). But, SEE! I didn't say it so anyone but me would know what I meant! Don't ever trust me to give travel dirctions
default_biggrin.png

I have to laugh... I didn't have a problem with it, but after reading this post I may second guess myself now.
default_smile.png

I know you know which is left and which is right.... for those teaching children the difference may already know this, but thought I would add a neat little trick.....

One of the things we did to help our kids learn left.... The "L" shape on your left hand(holding up hand. fold down fingers leaving up thumb and first finger). L for left.

I have to laugh... I didn't have a problem with it, but after reading this post I may second guess myself now.
default_smile.png

I know you know which is left and which is right.... for those teaching children the difference may already know this, but thought I would add a neat little trick.....

One of the things we did to help our kids learn left.... The "L" shape on your left hand(holding up hand. fold down fingers leaving up thumb and first finger). L for left.
I love that trick!!!

For some reason, I have always had a "sense" of direction and can usually "feel" which way is north. As for left and right, long years at dog obedience school solidified those directions.

I love to study maps of places I am going to visit or places I have been.

Those crazy navigation systems in cars seem to take you to places in odd ways that confuse me. I'd rather have a map. Navigations systems have sometimes taken us miles out of the way when going places -especially in Arkansas getting to Erica's Tiny Trotters!

Latest posts

Back