Leather or Beta Thane

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LGahr

Reaction score
It looks like I can order a new harness cheaper than I can buy a used one -- so now the big question......

what do you consider best Leather or Beta Thane. Not looking for a show harness but want something

safe and comfortable for a tiny 28 inch gelding. Anyone out there used Beta for a few years and have

an opinion to share with me? Thanks......

I have and use both. I prefer the betathane since it's easier to clean/take care of ;)

Jessi

Thank you so much for responding! I have a lovely custom made harness from Chimacum but have only had it a few months. This harness won't fit the new little guy as it was made for a 33.5 horse. I have absolutely no complaints about this harness but if I had to buy a new one I wanted to ask someone with more experience what they would suggest. The Chimacum was my first harness and now looking to add a second and trying to minimize my errors. Your input is really appreciated.

I hope Leah see's this as she is somewhat the harness / driving expert
default_smile.png

I'm not sure as i have done minimum driving and the harness i used was a biothane ..we do have a leather show harness here but its for a larger B and i like it allot, i have only ground driven in it though, but i like the leather look/feed. Im sure a biothane ext would be easier to care for though
default_smile.png

Leeana

Leather gives, synthetics don't. In an emergency, you want the leather to give or even break away. Synthetic is easy to clean, but if I do use it, I only use it on the driving lines, everything on the horse or anything that attatches to the cart I use leather.

Leeana said:
I hope Leah see's this as she is somewhat the harness / driving expert
default_smile.png
default_wink.png

There was a thread about this just a couple of days ago, let me see if I can find it. Ah, here it is: Thread

The short answer is that IMO the Chimacum/Camptown harness you already bought is the best there is and I can't recommend them enough. Many synthetic harnesses are hard and stiff and not very comfortable and leather requires a lot of upkeep to stay nice. The Chimacum is both soft and low-maintenance as well as being very well-designed. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat!

Leia

Interesting, and is there a site for this betathane harness or some good ones...??? Who sells these?

This has always interested me.

For those who have ACTUALLY been in a SERIOUS wreck do you WANT the harness to break arbitrarily?

I have always thought I would rather have a miniature wrapped in his harness in a ditch than running down the road helter skelter with half a harness attached to a cart, and maybe kill someone who would hit them in a car?

Enlighten me.

Chimacum Tack also sells the sport harness at www.horsedriver.com.

I have had the misfortune to get in a serious driving accident with my Arab and I have mixed feelings about breaking harness. On the plus side in his case it did exactly what it needed to and broke completely when he hooked the wheel on a gate post at a panicked gallop, freeing him to run away without the cart attached. On the other hand too often only part of the harness breaks and then you've got a horse as Whitney suggests, galloping around dragging the cart by a strap or two and kicking in frenzied fear. I'd either want it to break completely (which there is no way to guarantee) or stay attached so at least the cart is being properly held back off the horse. I figure with the minis it's not quite so much of an issue as with their lighter weight the harness is unlikely to break no matter what material it's made of unless it's very poor quality so I get whatever works for me and carry a sharp knife in case I need to free the horse quickly. (Remember- cut the backstrap, not the holdbacks!) A carriage accident is a disaster no matter what; I place my hope in a sensible horse, an ounce of prevention and a lot of training to try and minimize the potential damage.

Leia

Leia.......you would think SOMEONE could come up with an emergency brake of some sort.

How sturdy are your shoes, LOL??!

Hey, thanks for the link Jessi, will check it out.......... do they make work and show harness? A bit of everything??

Last edited by a moderator:
To those who are "EXPERIENCED" drivers out there---have any of you looked at the dorsal cart and harness now offered at the Chimacum web site? It is real interesting looking. I am not experienced enough to say if it is good or not so good so I thought I would ask

www.horsedriver.com.

Cute set up....nice little buckskin but look how the shaft is up and over........interesting concept. No shafts to worry about. Someone put a lot of thought into this.

Did you give Chimacum the measurments of your horse? They are usually really good about trying to fit the harness to your horse. They are wonderful to work with, I bought a betathane team draft harness from them and we had to do some swaping here and there, not their fault tho, and they got it to me right away.

Now the one harness I do have and its a working one is from PrimeDesign. They have some really nice betathane harnesses and I have their working and show one. I prefer the betathane over the leather. Leather may break, however my experience with the betathane harnesses they are very easy to unbuckle, much easier then the leather.

To those who are "EXPERIENCED" drivers out there---have any of you looked at the dorsal cart and harness now offered at the Chimacum web site? It is real interesting looking. I am not experienced enough to say if it is good or not so good so I thought I would ask

www.horsedriver.com.

Cute set up....nice little buckskin but look how the shaft is up and over........interesting concept. No shafts to worry about. Someone put a lot of thought into this.
I'm on a driving dog email group, and many members on that LOVE dorsal hitch carts with their dogs. I have never seen one in person, so I have no opinion on them (horse OR dog)

Jessi

Type in "dorsal hitch" on a forum search and you'll come up with quite a bit of discussion! I think it has a place in display/exhibition work and am all for innovation but I wouldn't want one of those as my regular cart. The only place I'd feel completely comfortable with it was on flat pavement. I would like to try one though, I'm sure it would be interesting.

Leia

Hello--thank you for the response to my post--I did send pages of measurements to Janie at Chimacum Tack. The harness was just the perfect fit for my little stud. He has a tiny dished Araby head and the side

pieces were just a little long on the first bridle..... I don't know if you have ever paid much attention to the bridles but there is no one with a finer bridle. My actual harness is not exactly like any in the catalogue but it is rolled and very sharp looking. We will be using it to show the little bay in this season. I just was hoping to find something a little cheaper for the little black horse but used quality harnesses just can't be bought right now.

I have not actually ordered anything yet so am going to check out Prime Design right now. Thanks for your help. Have a great 2008!

Linda

Did you give Chimacum the measurments of your horse? They are usually really good about trying to fit the harness to your horse. They are wonderful to work with, I bought a betathane team draft harness from them and we had to do some swaping here and there, not their fault tho, and they got it to me right away.

Now the one harness I do have and its a working one is from PrimeDesign. They have some really nice betathane harnesses and I have their working and show one. I prefer the betathane over the leather. Leather may break, however my experience with the betathane harnesses they are very easy to unbuckle, much easier then the leather.

Leather all the way

Yep harder to keep up, but nicer (IMO) when it's on the horse. Plus it's very relaxing to "Rub" a harness clean and bright!

I had a horse freak out in harness and start raging around a paddock, caught a shaft in the fence, and the harness broke, and she was released. Had it not broke, and she was caught in the fence --- well I hate to think what might have happened. I'd rather have a harness break than a leg or neck. And if you have the misfortune to have an accident in the open road, I'd rather have a horse running free than dragging a cart.

Again - IMO

Back