Leasing horses mare or stud questions?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
I wanted to know those who have leased horses mares or studs your pros and cons? I have wondering about leasing out horses/or leasing horses from others. Could you share your ideals on the leasing? How does the leasing work for you.Do you all ask for money when you lease or so how do you determine how much?Do you determine the amount of the number of mares if someone is leasing a stud? Do you have a sure guidelines time frame they have the horse/horses? Does the person leasing make sure the horse/horses vet and gentle care well taken care of? Does folks who lease sometimes trade leasing of a horse for another horse?

What should you look out for when leasing? What are the good things about leasing?IF the horses are amhd and amhr what do you do about the papers, so the future foals are register?

Thanks for sharing

Melissa

Last edited by a moderator:
You can determine the terms of the lease pretty much any way you want it. Just make sure all scenarios are covered.

I leased a mare from a client/friend last year to use for breeding. I wrote up a contract which spells out everything. The terms of the lease, the dates of the lease, etc. You need to be sure there is a value on the horse. If there is to be insurance on the horse. Who is responsible for vet and farrier bills. What is the 'cost' of the lease. Is it money or perhaps breeding(s)?

In my case, an official lease was done with the registries so the resulting foal could be registered by me and I would go on the papers as the breeder.

I have leased a mare to a friend since last year.

I know him very well and he wants company for his other AMHA mare. We have discussed all scenarios and we have made an agreement. I visit them at least once a month and I hear of him once a week.

I don't ask for money, but he helps me regularly. The resulting foals will belong to him.

Does anyone have a lease contract I could look at to give me a ideal?

Latest posts

Back