Leasing a show horse (AMHR)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T'sMinis

Reaction score
Hi...I have a few questions in regards to AMHR leasing. But first, here's the situation that I am needing a little assistance with.

I sold 2 09' fillies to a first time horse owner.(I'm the breeder) I am boarding the "girls" until their new mom gets their place set up. She is very interested in learning about showing and with a little push I know she will get in the showring. Here's the issue...both of her "girls" will be in the same classes therefore she needs an extra helping hand. I am an amateur but have show experience and don't want to cross any lines. I would just be a friend helping her learn about her horses and showing and a handler for one of the girls.

Does my situation fit into a lease?

If I put a lease into my name can the owner show as well?

Would I be able to show one of the "girls" in amateur class as well?

Thanks for your input....just trying to prepare for the up coming season.

Gina

I don't know if this falls under USEF rules, but if it did, you could be accepting no more than $300/month from the woman for you to not be considered an amateur. If you want to call it a lease, then you should draw up a lease with the client so that you have it on hand when you enter the shows, but as leasee, I don't believe you would be able to collect boarding fees on the horse. If you are leasing the horse, then the owner could still show it, but only one of you could show in the amateur division, if it is AOTE. If it is just ATE, then you'd be okay. And that is my uninformed opinion. Maybe someone who is a bit better versed in the AMHR rulebook can give you a beter answer.

If you accept any renumeration for showing you cannot show amateur. It's too late to consider a lease for AOTE - that has to be submitted by January 1.

IMO I would not lease the fillies back to yourself. I would just let her pick one to show one in amateur, and then show one for her in open.

Ruffian...Am I getting what you are saying? Don't do a lease on either horses. Let the new owner choice which one of the girls in jr.Amateur mare and I would just to a handler for the yearling mare class and/or color class. Doing all entries under the owner.

Correct??? Maybe I am trying to make too much into it. I want to make things legit so there is no grumbling of fellow showers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you...I appreciate your input. That would make sense since there are times when you have two of your own in a class and need just an extra hand in the showring.

Im not sure that would work in AMHR. Some of the rules changed this year. I think but not positive they passed a rule that to show in ammy the name has to be on the papers or they have to be related. Now if you only show one in open class it doesnt matter. If you show amhr then I would ask Karen Shaw and be sure as she heads the ammy program and is always very helpful

Kay

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back