Learned something from the Amish this week

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
Visited the Shipshe flea market on Wed. and noticed all the Amish horses tied ALL OVER TOWN. Walked up for a closer inspection and found that they tie an O ring in the lead rope wrap it around the horses neck like a collar and snap the snap to it then thread it through the throatlatch and nose band (under) and tie it to the hitching post.

I remember now from my younger days of competitive trail riding thats how we did it at the vet check points if we didnt have a helper. You have to have your hands free to sponge them down to get the heart rate down.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is correct Whitney. That is the way to tie a horse on the trail or in camp especially if they are prone to breaking halters. You loop the lead around the neck and through the ring and down between the horses neck and jaw strap and do the same thing for the muzzle strap and then tie the horse.

Extremely safe way to keep the horse from breaking his halter or bridle when on the trail. MOST horse when the feel the loop tighten around the neck they will step forward and release the pressure.

BUT ONE WORD OF CAUTION. use your wrist for a trial neck. Place the ring over the top you your wrist and bring the rope through--pull tight then release the pressure if the noose loosen then you have it correct, if not take the loop end over the top of the neck and through the ring and then pull tight and release pressure and it should loosen when the pressure is released.

This is one thing that was taught to every dog owner in my obedience class if they used a choke collar, but it has been sol long I can't remember if the ring is over or under. Try both ways BEFORE using on your Horse or dog for that matter.

Another precaution to make sure the noose does not get too tight if your horse should panice is to make a knot when you take the lead throught he ring--knot the ring in place--small enough that the horse can't get the noose over his head and then proceed with running the lead end between the horse and his halter and tie.

LONG TIME COMPETITIVE & ENDURANCE rider in my earlier days.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way I read it, it is not like a choke collar. The snap end of the lead is passed over the horses' neck, then CLIPPED TO THE O-RING. Pass the TAIL END of the lead thru the throatlatch and noseband, and use it to tie to your fixed post.

Please don't go around choking your horses! ;)

BTW, to place a choke collar for quick release, you would have the tail end OVER the neck. BUT I do not use chokes any more or see the need to use them. I use positive reinforcement training instead.
biggrin.gif

I used to do this with riding horses, but I had a rope for each horse and it was knotted so danger of anything slipping. You have to remember to tie the reins up out of the way as a bored horse will chew them, as I found out the hard way. I am not at all sure I would tie a harness horse and leave it, not unless I was very sure of it. Not to put too fine a point on it, these horses the Amish have are working horses, not pets, they are neither treated nor valued as pets. If an accident happened, as with our cars, it would be a nuisance. The horse are also used a lot more than our pampered little ones. And far more used to doing as they are told!!

Latest posts

Back