Lead line pony.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carly Rae

Reaction score
Hello,

Within the next couple of weeks I am going to be gelding Kevin. Then I want to carry on with some training, pretty much desensitizing and some basic things, which he is surprisingly really good with. I want to make him my walking buddy to start with, and get him out and about and seeing some new things.

Then in the future I want to train him as a lead line when I feel confident we have reached our goal.

My question is, how much weight do you think he could handle safely? He was 40 inches when I measured him a few months ago, so he may be bigger, he is around 2 and a half years old?

So I was hoping Kevin could maybe one day fill old Willow's shoes as a lead line.
default_smile.png

This is all for the future, but Id really appreciate some suggestions
default_smile.png

And here's some photos, the most recent is him in the saddle, which as a few months ago. He is shedding his winter coat now
default_smile.png

9gh3ja.jpg

He looks like he'll be PERFECT as a lead line pony! And the perfect size too. He looks like he's calm with the saddle on, which is a great start with training.

Some folks on here use a calculation of size of pony versus weight they can carry. Hopefully someone will chime in with it. We had a priceless gelding who was 34 inches and stout boned who was our daughter's first riding steed......(Also a champion cart horse). The maximum we allowed on him was 60 lbs. (not sure what that is in stones). She then graduated to a slightly larger pony....who was about 46 inches and she weighed about 80 lbs. and was her first 4-H horse.

Before putting too much weight on him, the first thing to be sure about is his growth plate in his knees. At 2 1/2 years old his knees probably haven't closed up yet.

Your vet can probably tell you how to check, if you're unsure.

Have fun with him!!!

He looks cute in his saddle. I can't answer the exact weight question, but when I was a kid my first pony was 40 inches and she was a nice size to start out with. It's nice to hear that Kevin will be getting some "higher education" :)

I hope you post pictures of his progress.

Yours are shedding and mine are getting furrier every day!

Last edited by a moderator:
The suggested maximum weight for a horse to carry is 20% of their own bodyweight. [i don't know kilograms, but... If a pony weighs 400#, then max weight for rider and tack combined is 80#.]

Latest posts

Back